Rochester Show / July 3rd

You know you have a good show when you don't even need to touch any other music for the encore.

And that's it from Rochester, folks. My next Live From the Stands will be on Saturday, July 24th, for the Jamestown, New York, DCA competition. Be sure to also catch my podcast, Box Center, LIVE every Tuesday night at 8PM Eastern/5PM Pacific, or via iTunes as a podcast.

Have a good night!

Great show..thanks again!!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grenadiers - 67.8

WOW! Nice first show score, you can only go up from here!

This is just a list of Grenadiers first scores each year and where they ended up at finals. Quite the span of years with some major ups and downs. Great start to 2010 though!

1995 - 5 Kingston Grenadiers 60.0 (Did not make finals)

1996 - 3 Kingston Grenadiers 62.2 (Did not make finals)

1997 - 3 Kingston Grenadiers 62.6 (Did not make finals)

1998 - 5 Kingston Grenadiers 58.5 (9th place finish)

1999 - 4 Kingston Grenadiers 64.5 (10th place finish)

2000 - 3 Kingston Grenadiers 60.3 (8th place finish)

2001 - 4 Kingston Grenadiers 64.95 (8th place finish)

2002 - 3 Kingston Grenadiers 65.35 (Tied for 11th in a Top 12 format)

2003 - 4 Kingston Grenadiers 61.788 (10th place, we'll leave it at that)

2004 - 4 Kingston Grenadiers 66.750 (A Class Champions)

2005 - 5 Kingston Grenadiers 65.238 (11th place finish)

2006 - DID NOT FIELD

2007 - DID NOT FIELD

2008 - 5 Kingston Grenadiers 68.525 (5th place finish)

2009 - 4 Kingston Grenadiers 63.375 (2nd place finish)

2010 - 3 Kingston Grenadiers 67.8 (To be determined)

Kevin... thanks for your work... I was sitting next to you and agreed completely with your comments... well done...

Thanks as always to Allen Buell and David Bruni for putting on a great show...

Special cudos to:

OZ - the production rivals Miss Saigon

Empire's Guard - wow for first show... and to the injured banner, my best wishes and I hope that ankle isn't broken - can't believe you did the whole show that way...

Grenadier's percussion - tight, very well done

Grenadier's show - tasty and written for what they wish to accomplish - smart and much more accessible for the audience ...

Scout House - holy mackerel... 50 plus horns (is that new brass?) You guys are a real treat this year...

I scanned through Kevin's comments and one thing I didn't notice was to mention that although the weather was near perfection... it was HOT and HUMID... I believe it was over 90 at sunset... I know I was ringing wet and believe for this early in the season it had its effect on the brass players...

Jeff, just drop the VOReason character.

You horned in on Allen Buell's post to promote this show.

You can mess with me all you want... but when you start messing with good, honest people... well, they just don't deserve it (Empire OR Bucs).

VOReason logs in at 12:43 AM

Jeff Ream logs in at 12:46 AM

Very sloppy.

7PM Growney Stadium

St. John Fisher College

Rochester, NY

Come see Empire's best corps since 1998

Hmm iPhone not cooperating. Anyway, TA in the the 13 years we've been friends,sparring partners or worse, I've never needed a fake screen name, nor shall I ever use one. So, to paraphrase Da Faz, KMWA

Empire doesn't seem to have any obvious weaknesses. I am glad I flew home to see this show...Empire and Grennies are both off to a very good start in their divisions.

Don of Reason

Personally, I have to say that the Statesmen, while breaking 80 in their first competition of the year, got a lower score than they deserved since there were only two other competing corps, both Class A, and since the judges were getting a first read of the show tonight. This is a championship contender show and corps.
Agreed. Certainly, if you added Bucs, Hurcs or Cabs to the mix, somebody may have even flirted with an 85. Just who that "somebody" may be is anyone's guess, however we will likely know more when Empire goes up against Hurcs...next week? And we will get a more current score from Reading. Likely next week we will start to see where the shows are ranked/rated (read: slotted). And even though the level of competition may have served to deflate Empire's score in this show, they also benefited from looking pretty good in the comparison. I must say (and did, earlier in this thread), that from what I saw in the approx. 8 minute Oz segments posted on YouTube of an apparently June dress run-through, they indeed look pretty good, with a particularly strong sounding horn line.

Empire doesn't seem to have any obvious weaknesses. I am glad I flew home to see this show...Empire and Grennies are both off to a very good start in their divisions.

Don of Reason

Yep - as I told some of the Empire guys - the last 19.05 is going to be a #####.

Empire had a very organized off-season; the guard is light years ahead of last year; they had 60 plus brass all Winter; the battery retention the past few years has been outstanding, and the Pit is For Real. They should proudly accept their role as contenders in this circuit.

But most noticable to me: This corps is loaded with performers who were "kids" a few years ago, but are now championship calibre competitive athletes.

I think they just gave a lot of local drum corps fans a reason to pay 57 bucks for a finals ticket.

It's probably easy to overlook them, but I've watched the White Sabres open this show for many years, and this is absolutely their best performance here in their history.

The Grenadiers are better than last year, and their Percussion Battery is *this close* to being considered, how do the drummers say it? "Sick" Which, from what I understand, is a compliment to drummers and I certainly mean it as a compliment.