Poll and Discuss...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What we need is some good polka tunes; like!!

Cabs: El She's Too Fat for Me, Ole'.

Buccs: Rome Out the Barrel, Rome Out the Barrel of Fun.

:laughing:

Two of my favorites!

I've been a member of both corps..

#1. Anyone who says that Cabs play the same show every year, clearly have NO knowledge of their history. If you go to their website they have videos of nearly every show they've done throughout the years. If you go watch some you will see that they have been evolving with the activity the entire time, and have had MANY musical identities within the Latin idiom. They even played the music of Leonard Bernstein's West Side Story in 1993. Cabs are actually one of the few corps from the 60's and 70's I can stand to listen to (no offense old schoolers but I was raised in drum corps after 2000, most corps before 1985 put me to sleep.) because their shows were an absolute blast to listen to. They came out with some of the grooviest (as in groove, not hippy "groovy") stuff and they crafted a totally unique identity almost every year. If you haven't witnessed their evolution over the years I HIGHLY recommend you go and watch their website vids before you speak up on here about what you THINK you know about their identity as a drum corps.

#2. The Bucs are the paradigm right now... a few years ago it was Brigs and everyone hated on them for being so good. Everyone thought they were being given the benefit of the doubt... it's just how things are...it's a blessing and a curse to be at the top. In a few years there will probably be another corps doing the same thing.

Edited by BX5CM

:blink:

LOL - "Who Stole the Burrito?" (Keishka(sp))

So when do Kilites start playing "God Bless the Queen" and doing a disco show (ducking for cover) :tongue:

Irony about the competing Cabs is they now have to slip the "rumps" some where in the show instead of playing the sing a long version of S.O.S (showing my age here) for the last two minutes of the show. Sorry Frank but my sister and I got a helluva laugh hearing da rumps in the middle of "Toreador" a few years back "Toreador... rump.... be ever on your guard. rump rump rump" We just looked at each other and said "So THAT'S how you play S.O.S (we're both over 40) in Carmen". :tongue:

Note: No disrespect intended by saying S.O.S., just the way it was referred to by corps the Cabs always beat.

:blink:

:ph34r:

Now Bill -

You should know better than to suggest that.. :tongue:

The Cabs would need to bring back the steel can drums and see if LK can rewrite the Too Fat Polka with a salsa rhythm..

and the Bucs should consider the arrangement of Beer Barrel that Corky Whitlock wrote for Brio Brass...It uses KAZOOS and has a counter melody in it of the Rocky and Bullwinkle theme..

NOW THAT'S PROGRESSIVE DRUM CORPS !! :blink: Runs and hides...quickly!

Back on topic - Yeah, even I look forward to SOS somewhere in the Cabs show...the other corps in blue is raising the bar...again...It's soul searching time for everyone else..but they can lighten up anytime they want - so the rest of the corps can catch up - even if just a little..

Gotta dangle that carrot somehow.. :tongue:

Pat

Jim and Pat, by "SOS" I'm assuming you're referring to the ABBA song of the same name. :tongue:

Jim and Pat, by "SOS" I'm assuming you're referring to the ABBA song of the same name. :tongue:

Nah... note to myself to pick up some soapy steel wool on the way home to clean the dishes.

Oh great, now I've got ABBA stuck in my head.

:tongue:

*with all usual disclaimers as applicable by the laws of the United States and its territories*

Jim and Pat, by "SOS" I'm assuming you're referring to the ABBA song of the same name. :blink:

:ph34r:

But of course, Fran... :tongue:

you know ... --- ...

It means Same Old Sh..irt! :tongue: And who would know that better than you? NOBODY!

Pat

Edited by goalieguy

"Do you hear the drums Fernando?"

Nah... note to myself to pick up some soapy steel wool on the way home to clean the dishes.