Southwest Corps Connection

Wow Academy.... Never thought I'd see West Coast peeps being tight wads, can't wait til these guys get with BD and SCV so the scoring opens up a a bit... GO BK, looking forward to seeing all these fine groups!!

Wes P

BK '97 '98

I'll get to see em July 3 out West, and then Houston.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Academy.... Never thought I'd see West Coast peeps being tight wads, can't wait til these guys get with BD and SCV so the scoring opens up a a bit... GO BK, looking forward to seeing all these fine groups!!

Wes P

BK '97 '98

scores are actually fairly in line with them from last year..

June 23

World Class

1 Bluecoats 74.900

2 Santa Clara Vanguard 74.600

3 Blue Knights 70.600

4 The Academy 66.700

5 Troopers 65.500

Edited by AlexL

I'll get to see em July 3 out West, and then Houston.

Awesome, you'll have to give us the scoop.... I am not going to Houston this year, since SA is two nights this time it's too expensive for me to do 4 nights of drum corps in both Houston and San Antonio, though I'd love to. I'll see the whole Shabang in SA and will watch the webcast of Htown....

WEs P

scores are actually fairly in line with them from last year..

June 23

World Class

1 Bluecoats 74.900

2 Santa Clara Vanguard 74.600

3 Blue Knights 70.600

4 The Academy 66.700

5 Troopers 65.500

Sure, but I think having Bloo and SCV there made a difference in the agressiveness of scoring. Just my thoughts

Looks like Troop is having a really good Visual package this year! Can't wait to see them!

Some quick thoughts while it's still fairly fresh:

Revolution: Great to see you guys making an effort to get out on the road and tour! Now where were the West Coast open class corps? Had some interesting choices in repertoire. Using Turbine as a percussion break, then eventually full corps musical ensemble was cool. I like the large silver flags in the guard. High brass was pretty confident and putting out some nice sounds overall. Keep up the effort!

Troopers: First look at the new uniforms in person, and it's not working for me. Having the yellow piping and two tone colors on the jacket offset from the pants makes the members look imbalanced from the stands. Perhaps it would work with a belt? On to the show, the solo development of the Wanted theme into the first corps hit was solid. Decent power from the hornline at this point. The guard looked small to me, and it seems they have a few holes or members sitting out? Quite a bit of upper body control issues on jazz running technique. The Troopers had a pretty confident performance, but the drill just doesn't excite me a whole lot.

INT: Grabbed a bottle of water, as it was very warm out.

Blue Knights: They are utilizing a straight leg technique this year, which makes them a much cleaner visual ensemble. I liked the guard costumes and the orange rifles really popped out. The beginning development of Farandole was very tasteful. Drill is being performed well at this point in the season. The climax of Nimrod was beautiful, very well balanced and lush sound. This was one of the first BK shows that I have enjoyed in a long time. My one concern is that the drill may not have enough demand to compete with the next tier of corps. Very enjoyable performance tonight!

The Academy: The design of this show from top to bottom is the most thought out and integrated show The Academy has put out to date. As a music ensemble they are pretty tight. The percussion section is very strong this year. The brass is putting out a full and powerful sound. Still some issues with individuals being overzealous on louder dynamics, but it'll correct itself. The drill has many high impact GE moments. I was impressed with the visuals and bodywork already in place. I know that the show was just finished on Friday, so stamina and performance quality are still issues at the end of the closer, but those will be worked out with time. The guard didn't have costumes yet, or show flags but hopefully soon. I see a lot of potential for this show to build and grow into something very cool.

The results weren't surprising to me at all. It'll be great to see this lineup mixed in with BD and SCV in SoCal.

I haven't seen the show in person, but I did see it online somewhere.... and I am REALLY excited to see this show live. I love that they have changed their technique and already look cleaner than they ever have at this point in recent memory (I can attest to this from personal experience.....the old style was no picnic AT ALL).

I agree the drill seemed a bit on the easy side, but I'll take that and awesome music any day. I LOVED the ballad hit as well.

I hope nothing but the best for this blue team.

GO BK!!

Some quick thoughts while it's still fairly fresh:

Revolution: Great to see you guys making an effort to get out on the road and tour! Now where were the West Coast open class corps? Had some interesting choices in repertoire. Using Turbine as a percussion break, then eventually full corps musical ensemble was cool. I like the large silver flags in the guard. High brass was pretty confident and putting out some nice sounds overall. Keep up the effort!

Troopers: First look at the new uniforms in person, and it's not working for me. Having the yellow piping and two tone colors on the jacket offset from the pants makes the members look imbalanced from the stands. Perhaps it would work with a belt? On to the show, the solo development of the Wanted theme into the first corps hit was solid. Decent power from the hornline at this point. The guard looked small to me, and it seems they have a few holes or members sitting out? Quite a bit of upper body control issues on jazz running technique. The Troopers had a pretty confident performance, but the drill just doesn't excite me a whole lot.

INT: Grabbed a bottle of water, as it was very warm out.

Blue Knights: They are utilizing a straight leg technique this year, which makes them a much cleaner visual ensemble. I liked the guard costumes and the orange rifles really popped out. The beginning development of Farandole was very tasteful. Drill is being performed well at this point in the season. The climax of Nimrod was beautiful, very well balanced and lush sound. This was one of the first BK shows that I have enjoyed in a long time. My one concern is that the drill may not have enough demand to compete with the next tier of corps. Very enjoyable performance tonight!

The Academy: The design of this show from top to bottom is the most thought out and integrated show The Academy has put out to date. As a music ensemble they are pretty tight. The percussion section is very strong this year. The brass is putting out a full and powerful sound. Still some issues with individuals being overzealous on louder dynamics, but it'll correct itself. The drill has many high impact GE moments. I was impressed with the visuals and bodywork already in place. I know that the show was just finished on Friday, so stamina and performance quality are still issues at the end of the closer, but those will be worked out with time. The guard didn't have costumes yet, or show flags but hopefully soon. I see a lot of potential for this show to build and grow into something very cool.

The results weren't surprising to me at all. It'll be great to see this lineup mixed in with BD and SCV in SoCal.

Thanks for the review! Curious, did BK Guard go back to hand-painted silks this year?

Thanks for the review! Curious, did BK Guard go back to hand-painted silks this year?

Don't think so, just an observation from my wife based off the videos was that they did not look hand painted. If the hand painted flag is now gone forever, I am glad that she and I grabbed a bit of history when we did. We bought 2 of the show flags after our tour in '97 and now they've been professionally framed and are on our walls at home. If you did not know what they were you would assume they are just great pieces of art!! Truly awesome!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98