Audience coaxing/"attitude"

After reviewing last years shows, I believe I've developed a new pet peeve. A few corps incorporated the use of imploring the audience by playing their instrument with one hand while waving the other up and down to solicit applause and cheering. I would rather use my own emotions and reactions to decide when to clap, yell, etc. I don't wish to be "cued" by the performers. It feels like an applause sign at a TV show audience. It seems related to the bad-### mugging and gesturing that are sometimes encouraged at the end of drum breaks.(it seems "gansta" style).

Anyone else experience similar feelings or is it just me? Probably a generational thing. We were instructed to meld into the ensemble with humility and not exhibit individuality and celebration. (I have the same distaste for end-zone celebrations).

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After reviewing last years shows, I believe I've developed a new pet peeve. A few corps incorporated the use of imploring the audience by playing their instrument with one hand while waving the other up and down to solicit applause and cheering. I would rather use my own emotions and reactions to decide when to clap, yell, etc. I don't wish to be "cued" by the performers. It feels like an applause sign at a TV show audience. It seems related to the bad-### mugging and gesturing that are sometimes encouraged at the end of drum breaks.(it seems "gansta" style).

Anyone else experience similar feelings or is it just me? Probably a generational thing. We were instructed to meld into the ensemble with humility and not exhibit individuality and celebration. (I have the same distaste for end-zone celebrations).

I agree about end-zone celebrations, as for the rest of it I just think there is much more of an effort to connect directly to the audience in as many ways as possible than there ever was before. I don't see it as pandering for applause.

The times I've seen it (IMO) comes of as pandering and an attempt, again (as with directed narration or other thematic ideas) to point the audience a certain way, this time to generate some sort of false emotional high/apex.

it's kind of like the "faux lean back" Santa Clara did for a few years during pieces of symphonic music that really didn't call for it; there's a difference between being a ###### and knowing it (see closeup video of Madison '95 sops during "Malaga", especially the one who rips it off his face . . .he didn't need to point at anybody, did he?) and attempting to "bottle" that spontaneous-ness for a few tenths of a GE point.

I agree with your basic premise; let the music and visual tell the story and energize the audience, and, if it's indeed warranted, people will throw their firstborn without any help. :sad:

it's kind of like the "faux lean back" Santa Clara did for a few years during pieces of symphonic music that really didn't call for it; there's a difference between being a ###### and knowing it (see closeup video of Madison '95 sops during "Malaga", especially the one who rips it off his face . . .he didn't need to point at anybody, did he?) and attempting to "bottle" that spontaneous-ness for a few tenths of a GE point.

I'm normally not opposed to "audience coaxing" as we've decided to call it, but, like bawker said, only when it's done spontaneously and genuinely. The end of Bluecoats' show last year seemed stupid to me because you could tell the visual staff (or someone) said "Hey, and when we get to this note, everyone wave your hands at the audience." It just came off as really contrived and really lame/high school bandish (I think bottled is a perfect description), and it also looked kind of creepy because there was just this sea of waving limbs coming at you from the field.

If you are going to "coax the audience" it should just be one member, or a couple members. Not the entire hornline. It just looks silly and cheesy. If we wanted to stand up we would be standing already. Your lame appeals shouldn't change anything.

Edited by liebot

The end of Bluecoats show last year was not a gesture asking for applause. The guard brought in the "main character" to their imaginative cloud-person world (for large lack of better term), then slowly began spreading through the entire corps, when at the end finally converting the drum major; the ending gesture was supposed to be a sort of symbolic invitation towards the audience to join their "world". I guess it would be pretty easy to misunderstand, though.

It honestly doesn't bother me in the slightest. It happens in most forms of live entertainment in one form or another. For me personally, if the show is engaging me and making me want to give up the extra love via applause/cheering, it probably doesn't need members on the field "telling" me to clap in time. I know I'm not the only one they'er playing to, however, and I know people who instinctively start clapping when performers mimic the motion and encourage the audience (i.e. my parents, non-musician family members, etc). If it helps the corps get some extra enthusiasm from their audience, who cares? Why begrudge them?

When an all pro linebacker elicits crowd response in the super bowl when its 3rd and short with 3:00 to go in the game and they're down by 2 points...that works.

When a rookie linebacker tries to eleicit crwod response in game 1 of the pre season during the first qtr, well, nothing but crickets chirping.

If its believable and worthy of a response, then it usually works. If its not, then it doesn't.

The end of Bluecoats show last year was not a gesture asking for applause. The guard brought in the "main character" to their imaginative cloud-person world (for large lack of better term), then slowly began spreading through the entire corps, when at the end finally converting the drum major; the ending gesture was supposed to be a sort of symbolic invitation towards the audience to join their "world". I guess it would be pretty easy to misunderstand, though.

Dear Lord. That's even worse. Sorry I posted.

Why do drum corps try to tell stories again?

Edited by liebot