Avon HS Drum Corps Version!?

Is it just me, or does Crown seem remarkably like Avon High School from Indiana? They are a great band, no doubt, and I know Crown shares a lot of staff with Avon. That being said, its a little unfortunate that we get Avon 'the drum corps version'...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or does Crown seem remarkably like Avon High School from Indiana? They are a great band, no doubt, and I know Crown shares a lot of staff with Avon. That being said, its a little unfortunate that we get Avon 'the drum corps version'...

I've never seen Avon in person, but I just looked up some photos from their 2009 program (Avon's) and I don't really see any similarity.

**sigh** :tongue:

Makes sense.

Matt Harloff, Crown Brass Caption Head, is assistant director at Avon.

And what's wrong with Avon? Have you seen their 2009 show? That brass is UNBELIEVABLE for a high school.

Music education is music education.

Ugh please. This is the lamest criticism to level against a corps. How often these days do we hear "that is too BOA" or "that is nothing but WGI" Do people not understand the similarities in these activities and the inevitable bleed through and overlap that happens? If you don't like a show, fine, just say so, but to try and devalue what they're doing by basically saying they're "bando" is as weak as it gets, and I'm not even much of a crown fan these days.

Avon's Guard Director is also the caption head at Crown...

Really I dont see that big of a deal.. Blue Star's Staff = Tarpon Springs HS .... many more examples that I dont know about, but chances are if you are dealing with a GN BOA band there is a top level DCI caption head behind that group...

You serious think these top level DCI guys only teach during the Summer?

With these High Schools that have these DCI guys involved you'll usually see them test out design ideas with the High School groups and the following summer you'll see it on the DCI field. Been happening for years now.

Not that big of a deal.

Could it also be that Avon High School is extremely Drum Corps-ish? Their a brilliant High School organization and are lucky to be taught by some of the best in the DCI activity! If only we all could be so lucky!

Ugh please. This is the lamest criticism to level against a corps. How often these days do we hear "that is too BOA" or "that is nothing but WGI" Do people not understand the similarities in these activities and the inevitable bleed through and overlap that happens? If you don't like a show, fine, just say so, but to try and devalue what they're doing by basically saying they're "bando" is as weak as it gets, and I'm not even much of a crown fan these days.

I dont think the poster was being critical, just making a very true observation. MAny corps have done this mainly because many of the WGI/ BOA designers are the same in DCI. There have been many shows done in WGI basically copied and applied to a corps and I think if it works in BOA many designers feel they can maybe take the same show to another level in DCI.

I've never seen Avon in person, but I just looked up some photos from their 2009 program (Avon's) and I don't really see any similarity.

Here ya go. This is BOA finals 2009.

Yeah, I know, it's not in person. And no, I don't think there's a similarity between Avon and Crown, except both have been getting more competitive every year in DCI and BOA.