Crown's Beads

Since we had the Madison's Nail discussion, I thought it would be interesting to open up another topic about what corps members are given in different places. I'm interested to know whether or not Crown still has the beads. When I marched we were given a bead on a leather cord to represent the year we marched. Does anyone know if they still do this? We now know about Madison's nail. Everyone knows about the Cavaliers' gears. I know of the Bluecoats necklace. Anyone know of anything else and the stories behind them? As far as I know regarding the beads at Crown, it's nothing more than something to remember the year by knowing that everyone you marched with has the same one.

Crown members still get beads. Another corps that does something like this is Spirit. You get a delta for every year you march. They started doing this in the late 70's, and they would cut the deltas out from used cymbals. That went up until 2004, where they started making them out of stainless steel, and they started putting the year that you marched and what role you played...so depending on what you did in the corps, it would say "member," "staff," "support," along with the year that you did this role (only the last two numbers, though). They even made it so that you can order deltas off of their website should you lose yours or didn't get one for some reason.

Bluecoats get pennies, Crossmen get a cross necklace. Those are two additional ones I am aware of. I think Colts get something, but I'm not sure what.

Blue Devils give out championship rings. :tongue:

that made me chuckle - good one

BS has a necklace with beads\coin. The coin has a star on it (cant remember which country this was from), and then you get a white bead for rookie year, red for ageout, and blue for any years between.

Bluecoats get pennies, Crossmen get a cross necklace. Those are two additional ones I am aware of. I think Colts get something, but I'm not sure what.

colts give out little metal triangles.

I only know that b/c every kid who has marched at the high school hubby and I taught at marched colts.

What color was your bead? Since nobody has marched all 21 years (and I don't know when the bead tradition started anyway) I wonder if we could compile a list of bead colors.

1999 = Jekyll and Hyde show = Red Bead