Stanford Brewery

Funny, but the "masses" at Stanford last night semed to like the show. 2nd largest stand O of the night (largest was BK).

The masses (with a ton of alums there, if last year was any indication) like the home team? No way! ngvdqg.jpg

Edited by AlexL

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVED BK's show. Especially the ending. Man am I excited that people are really digging BK this year. It often got tough when there was very little crowd reaction after shows. So happy the design team took a new direction that people can truly appreciate. Get it BK!

BD's show is quite challenging for me. There is so much happening that its a lot to take in...but interesting in most parts nonetheless. The brass sounds incredible on those Kings. I wish we had those in 08. The guard is once again tops. The percussion doesn't seem to have skipped a beat (no pun intended) between last season and this season. The show does lack continuity to me, mostly in the last 1/3 of the show, but I'm sure there will be some tweaking and rewrites. It is still June after all. We had many, many rewrites in 08. I really do like the first 2/3 of the show though. It's hard for me to say now since it's so early, but this will likely be a strong contender for the title.

I loved SCV's show. The drill is awesome! There is some serious GE in that show that will only strengthen as the season goes on. Tough music to grasp at times, but that's nothing new.

Troop....oh Troop... So so dirty right now but there's always potential. The hornline sounds great to me so far. I really like the power. We'll have to see how this evolves over the summer. I'm pulling for them!

And amen about the audio sync problem. What gives?? It's not on all the videos. This goes hand in hand with the focus problem with the Normal videos. Interesting...

Edited by bdevil08

Why are we arguing about BD when BK, Troop, and PC's audio is badly encoded on their Fan Network VOD videos?

Sorry about the audio ... please read THIS POST for info on the audio issue.

The masses (with a ton of alums there, if last year was any indication) like the home team? No way! ngvdqg.jpg

Funny, I saw a lot of other corps names on the jackets of people standing an cheering, including an old Valley Fever jacket. But, I am sure you are right, even though you were not even there. :blink:

I also sat between an SCV vet (70's) and a proud SCV parent and grandparent. They were all "wowed" by the show. Then again, they could have really been BD spies, just sent to trick all of us...That grandma looked pretty shady...

I agree, but relatively speaking they are ahead of the game and in a better position than most (though to be honest, I haven't seen a lot of the corps yet). Rough performance is always problematic, but cleaner than most/all of the competition is a nice way to start the year.

On another note, in 2009 I taught a WGI group that did a mirror-esque show (called 'Reflections), complete with eight or ten giant mirrors that look similar in size to BD's. Throughout the season I heard MANY concerns from judges regarding cluttering the floor with the mirrors, and it was iterated many times that there was a reason why most groups don't use them. Of course, BD's design staff is among the best in the activity, and if anyone can make giant mirrors work for them it's BD.

more room to work with on a football field

Funny, I saw a lot of other corps names on the jackets of people standing an cheering, including an old Valley Fever jacket. But, I am sure you are right, even though you were not even there. :rolleyes:

I also sat between an SCV vet (70's) and a proud SCV parent and grandparent. They were all "wowed" by the show. Then again, they could have really been BD spies, just sent to trick all of us...That grandma looked pretty shady...

And West Coast inflation rears its ugly head in more ways than one (BD 'inflating' the crowd response). :thumbup:

BD drum line arranging style = how many notes can we cram into each phrase. As a percussionist I appreciate the meaty books, but as a musician I think it's quite a bit too much at times

i agree

BD is the new Cavaliers. it's all about the visual, and music is the afterthought

Cute.....semi-clever response......but in the end....the masses all know what I am referring to. My statement is supported by numerous sentiments in this single topic alone.... from people who do not like BD's recent musical choices/arrangements......

BTW.....the 1986 Blue Devils is still my favorite single DCI show

Funny, but the "masses" at Stanford last night semed to like the show. 2nd largest stand O of the night (largest was BK).

that should say something. distant 3rd place corps with the biggest ovation of the night, in the backyard of the two corps placing the highest