Hostrauser's DCI Rankings - Week 1 (06/28/10)

Top 7 = G7. Any conspiracy theories?

They are the best 7 corps at this point in time. No conspiracy there to find...

Boston and Blue Stars will be putting up a VERY good fight though to change that

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 7 = G7. Any conspiracy theories?

Have any of the non-G7 corps outscored a G7 corps at the same show yet this year? They haven't yet....but I'm not so sure that won't change!

I'm liking Madison in the top 12 and The Academy threatening at 13th. Also looks like it's gonna be a 3 corps dog-fight at the top (4 if Bloo keeps pushing) the rest of the season.

Good analysis, MusicMan.

Well, let's see if I can give a basic example...

Corps A and Corps B compete at the same show on Thursday. Corps A scores 75.5 and Corps B scores 75.0.

Corps A and Corps B compete at the same show on Friday. Corps A scores 76.0 and Corps B scores 77.0.

Corps A and Corps B compete at different shows on Saturday. Corps A scores 76.5 and Corps B scores 73.0.

What happened to Corps B? Did they have major rewrites? Did they just completely fall apart? If all the other corps at that show "maintained" reasonable scores based on prior performances, Corps B is probably stuck with that 73.0 in my rankings. However, if EVERY corps at that show suffered a 3-4 point drop from their prior show, I'm more likely to take judging inflation/devaluation into account and adjust Corps B's score up to, say, 76.0 for that day.

Also, if 20 corps were at the Friday show, but only 6 at each of the Saturday shows, the Friday show will carry more weight in the formula. Thus, the straight average of Corps A's scores (76.0) vs. Corps B's scores (75.0) won't match up with the rankings, as the rankings would show only a 0.5 win for Corps A on Saturday, and Corps B's 1.0 point victory on Friday would carry more influence.

Again, you're only looking at one day, not the entire week. If Boston scores 75.0 on Saturday, it's likely that they would have scored LESS than 75 on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, had they competed on those days.

Thank you for taking the time to explain your system. At first glance I was not too in love with its determination, but in retrospect it looks more interesting and promising. Since you have used this system in prior years, has it allowed you to make any accurate score predictions or any other possible conclusions that can be drawn from it?...i.e. future head to head performances that have not taken place or something similar to that?

I appreciate the work going into all this. What the heck, it's no different that what we did on the buses back when Drum Corps World was the source of all scores way back when. Someone would break out the paper and spend half a bus ride putting it all together. By the time the chart was done, another contest or two had already taken place... LOL!

It's kind of like college hoops or football ranking, anyway. Meaningless in the long run, but kind of fun for the moment.

They are the best 7 corps at this point in time. No conspiracy there to find...

Boston and Blue Stars will be putting up a VERY good fight though to change that

I hope so. I think however that it's an uphill battle.

Then again, going in ( or down ) with all guns ablazin' is half the fun and the only way to go... (haha! )

Edited by BRASSO

After the Blue Knights performances in California, they are absolutely in the hunt for the top 7 !!!! This will be a huge fan favorite show this summer.

Go BK !!!

(and BD too...of course) do it up Devs! #14 :tongue:

Thank you for taking the time to explain your system. At first glance I was not too in love with its determination, but in retrospect it looks more interesting and promising. Since you have used this system in prior years, has it allowed you to make any accurate score predictions or any other possible conclusions that can be drawn from it?...i.e. future head to head performances that have not taken place or something similar to that?

Well, with the amount of rewrites that go into each corps over the course of the summer, predicting can be tricky... but usually it helps spot trends early in the season (for example, if there's a big cluster that look to be challenging for 12th, or a surprise contender for Finals).

Still, with the volatility in early season scoring, I wouldn't make any long-term projections based off the first week. Other than maybe the title looks really up for grabs this year (moreso than normal).