Low-End Synth

Low-End Synth  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Considering DCI's current set of rules, how do you feel about the use of low-end synth?

• I wish it was used more.
    • I like how it has been used and really adds to the shows.
    • I am indifferent.
    • It shoud be used less than it currently is.
    • It should never be used.
    • What Low-End Synth?

I decided to make a poll out of this because it keeps popping up in so many topics.... I wanted to see what all DCP'ers thoughts were.

Note - this poll is not about electronics, or even about rule changes..... just about the use of low-end synth in today's open electronic rule-book.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it needs to go away, I just voted for less use. In today's corps with 16 + contras, it makes the sound TOO bottom heavy. Now I guess I could see Phantom with their low end woes using it to supplement the hornline balance, but for those corps with 14+ contras on the field I don't think it is justified.

No need for it. It's like pulling into a horn arc with a train horn; put that mess away.

If the horn line can't produce the sound they need to without it then their cheating using it ....and I don't care what some stupid made up rules state about their use being legal!

lose it. it's become a crutch that is rarely balanced well

lose it. it's become a crutch that is rarely balanced well

What he said.

So at the time of me posting this, only 2 out of 42 people like the use of low-end synth. So why do almost all of the corps use it? Why do the staffs like it and think it makes the corps sound better if this huge of a majority is against it? Do they really think it sounds better? Do they really think the fans do not notice?

Can anyone provide answers to these questions?

....and you have to admit that this is a little different than other controversial issues such as voice, amped pits, multi-key brass, electronics in general, dancing hornlines, etc..... All of those issues I just mentioned may be unpopular, and some even a majority may dislike.... but no where to the extent of the almost universal disdain like low-end synth gets. Why is there such a disconnect between the fans on DCP and the staffs and judges?

Edited by Tez

So at the time of me posting this, only 2 out of 42 people like the use of low-end synth. So why do almost all of the corps use it? Why do the staffs like it and think it makes the corps sound better if this huge of a majority is against it? Do they really think it sounds better? Do they really think the fans do not notice?

Can anyone provide answers to these questions?

....and you have to admit that this is a little different than other controversial issues such as voice, amped pits, multi-key brass, electronics in general, dancing hornlines, etc..... All of those issues I just mentioned may be unpopular, and some even a majority may dislike.... but no where to the extent of the almost universal disdain like low-end synth gets. Why is there such a disconnect between the fans on DCP and the staffs and judges?

It's easy to do. I don't understand how they think it sounds better, a freshman in high school can tell the weird ### sound of a synth from a really contra/tuba. With the level of education and years of experience in music, you would think that at least a few of these staffs would be opposed to blaring this funky noise over the sound of their hornline or at least a few judges would call them out on it.