Championship-Type Shows

I think one characteristic that almost all of the championship shows we've seen over the years share is that they have the "look" of a champion.

In addition, I think they all have that "championship moment" that's kind of the defining image / sound of the show, that you can point at and say, "yup, that's it." From the Phantom disappearing in 1989, the Cavaliers' hoisted globe in 1995, the Cadets' tenor drum solo in 2000, The Door in 2005 or what I think is probably the greatest "it" moment, killing the DM in 2008, they all have their signature moment.

For the folks that have seen the shows this summer, what shows have the "look" of a championship-type show? Are there any "it" moments that stand out of these that will be what we remember the show by?

Mike

Let me get back to you on this in a few weeks. Right now it seems like I'm looking at the Cactus and Grapefruit League teams in Spring Training MLB and you're asking us who's going to look like they have " it " to go all the way to win the World Series. No Can Do. Too early, imo. Corps are going to change, delete, add, etc so much stuff that the " it " factor won't be known for awhile. That's my take anyway right now.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic, but the best "that moment" year was 2008. Killing the DM and yelling Spartacus was definitely that moment, but when BD finally forms Mr. Risky and when The Cavaliers do the second set up jumps, any of those moments could have easily been "that moment".

to me the 1985 opener of Cadets so radical at the time, how they came together and the blasted us with that sound. and the entire bombastic score.

1986 Blue Devils had many moments too.

Interesting enough sometimes what is seen the entire season doesnt become a "moment" until the right time, right place and then it lives forever.

1996 Phantom Regiment and the end of the OTL, was just magical finals night. 1981 SCV and "Dont cry for me" finals night, sealed the deal.

G

Edited by GMichael1230

Cadets 05 with Dancer was one of these moments. Such precision from the drumline and guard, the guard character interacting with the drumline.

Cadets 98 toilet bowl and Canterbury ballad, with the double flags. That show had such COLOR from the silks.

(a lot of obvious ones have already been mentioned, esp. Phantom 08's stab)

This year, I haven't seen anything live. I've watched Cadets FN twice, BD and Crown once.

Sounds a lot like confirmation bias.

Looking at what makes a championship show after the fact.

But I agree with you to a point, in a lot of winning shows, or even memorable shows, there is something that sets it apart.

1991 Star's Cross to Cross, 2002 Cavies Fight Club, etc. etc.

Right now I don't see anything distinguishing one show from the pack, but I'm sure that'll change.

The memorable drum major kill wasn't added til Allentown, if we all remember.

megadrive hit it right on the head.

The point is, a few shows each year have these "moments." It's not until they WIN that we subconsciously add this god-like status to the show, and then we seem to forget about the "moments" from other shows of that year.

Cadets 05 with Dancer was one of these moments. Such precision from the drumline and guard, the guard character interacting with the drumline.

Cadets 98 toilet bowl and Canterbury ballad, with the double flags. That show had such COLOR from the silks.

(a lot of obvious ones have already been mentioned, esp. Phantom 08's stab)

This year, I haven't seen anything live. I've watched Cadets FN twice, BD and Crown once.

Uggggggh, that's still my all time favorite ballad. Had the chance to watch it a couple of times from the stands and it was a beautiful moment to hear and see.

IRT this year, I see POTENTIAL champions from about 4 corps so far, heavy stress on the word potential. I'll have to see how the rest of the season goes before I can make a definite call on that one.

megadrive hit it right on the head.

The point is, a few shows each year have these "moments." It's not until they WIN that we subconsciously add this god-like status to the show, and then we seem to forget about the "moments" from other shows of that year.

There's no harm in doing that.

Edited by 2000Cadet

There's no harm in doing that.

I didn't necessarily say there was!

But I do think there are several years where the non-winners "don't get no love." I LOVED the Cavaliers in 2008, and I LOVED the Bluecoats in 2006 (and 2008). LOVED the Cadets in 2007, etc, etc. So many great shows that we seem to forget about sometimes!

The Bluecoats low brass coming out of the fantastic drum solo in Asphalt Cocktail - they're playing some hocket-like figure...very low in the range, and they filter around the receding drum line - it's a GREAT moment, imo.

LOVE this moment. Groovin' like a mother...

BD 2010: So far....the "it" moment is when nearly the entire corps disappears at the end of the insane drum feature! :sad:

Bring in the dogs & put out the cat! :wub:

The only one i have seen is Boston. Boston mixes the old with the new and has a demanding show design all around.

This year should be interesting. No one deserves it more than Boston.