Championship-Type Shows

I think one characteristic that almost all of the championship shows we've seen over the years share is that they have the "look" of a champion.

In addition, I think they all have that "championship moment" that's kind of the defining image / sound of the show, that you can point at and say, "yup, that's it." From the Phantom disappearing in 1989, the Cavaliers' hoisted globe in 1995, the Cadets' tenor drum solo in 2000, The Door in 2005 or what I think is probably the greatest "it" moment, killing the DM in 2008, they all have their signature moment.

For the folks that have seen the shows this summer, what shows have the "look" of a championship-type show? Are there any "it" moments that stand out of these that will be what we remember the show by?

Mike

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not yet. I think as things get worked in and drill changes fall into place, we'll see them more towards the middle to end of July

BD 2010: So far....the "it" moment is when nearly the entire corps disappears at the end of the insane drum feature! :sad:

Bring in the dogs & put out the cat! :wub:

Sounds a lot like confirmation bias.

Looking at what makes a championship show after the fact.

But I agree with you to a point, in a lot of winning shows, or even memorable shows, there is something that sets it apart.

1991 Star's Cross to Cross, 2002 Cavies Fight Club, etc. etc.

Right now I don't see anything distinguishing one show from the pack, but I'm sure that'll change.

The memorable drum major kill wasn't added til Allentown, if we all remember.

Sounds a lot like confirmation bias.

Looking at what makes a championship show after the fact.

But I agree with you to a point, in a lot of winning shows, or even memorable shows, there is something that sets it apart.

1991 Star's Cross to Cross, 2002 Cavies Fight Club, etc. etc.

Right now I don't see anything distinguishing one show from the pack, but I'm sure that'll change.

The memorable drum major kill wasn't added til Allentown, if we all remember.

In some ways, I agree. For instance, had the Cavaliers won in 2008, the slow-motion dodge in the finale would have been one of those "classic" moments. That just shows that many top shows have "those" kind of moments built in.

I'm not asking you to predict a champion per se - just asking if any of the shows so far have those moments that will be classics, like the ones mentioned, or have that top-flight feel to them already.

Mike

Something in the show that makes it a championship-type show?

There's actually a few IMO, which is surprisingly weird considering how early it is.

Phantom Regiment's whole opening sequence with the trumpet solo with the whole corps facing backfield and then the big impact. Normal corps do this, but the way PR does it this year... makes me feel like 2009 never existed to them.

Carolina Crown's stabs in the opening impact sequence. The raw power of each stab and how balanced each stab is. Also the reverb from each stab makes it that much better.[:

Bluecoats' ending to Asphalt Cocktail. It's where they go together in a full ensemble form and break apart into sections and do "spin cycle" moves (reminiscent to Cavs 2002) and come back together and play at full volume. Just beautifully intense. :D

Cadets crazy drill moves at full volume. They have it every year and it's (of-course) of championship-type design and execution.

Cavalier's gun moment. Come on. Only a Champion contender can do that while looking so b.a.

Yeah out of all the show's I watched so far, these are the most Championship-type moments in each show :D

The last show that I remember seeing early in the season and knowing it was special and thinking it would probably win was BD 2003.

On the other hand, I remember how rough Phantom 08 was early in the season, and I just thought that if they could get some of the big impacts to really click, they would surprise a lot of people. Boy did they.

But other great ones like Cadets 2005 really snuck up on me.

This year, I'm really clueless. I think Phantom is in the same boat where I see a lot of potentially great things in the show that just don't quite add up yet, but if they do, watch out. I'd put SCV and The Cadets in that boat, too. BD, Crown, and Bloo seem to me that they'll be steady and hope it stays ahead of other corps.