Why do parades?

I'll bet most peoples first exposure to drum corps isn't from going to a DCI Regional or Finals - it's parades.

And most of them think it's a college (or high school) marching band doing a summer gig.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corps make a boat load of money doing a few parades.

Everyone says money. ok... How much money are we talking about for an average parade?

Anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand per parade. One July 4th parade in Virginia paid $2000 for a high school band.

I personally love parades because I love performing. I think anytime you get to perform with your corps, it's a good thing. It's also a nice break from the day-to-day rehearsal and competition schedule.

Edited by Latrobe's Finest

Couple hundred is nothing....usually a few thousand.

Parades were 1/3 of the performances when I marched. And as I recall, there was some judged aspect of the Rockford show parade that did get the corps money as well. And if you were competing in that show, you HAD to be in their parade.

I remember sometimes there being a parade in the morning, a few hours off, then practice later that evening... or even parade in the morning, practice, and show that night. It was always money to do a parade.

Seriously? It's the money, honey.

My personal record was 13 parades during one long, unholy Memorial Day weekend.

If you time them right (and sometimes ask the cops for a little help) you can line up a ton of parades and make a boatload of cash. Key to the operations of most corps, especially back in the dino days!

The corps at the Wakefield parade are incredibly popular. The crowd goes wild for them. Plus, the corps get big bucks.

Many of the color guards do play it "safe" though and don't wear their uniforms. They are generally in sweats and t shirts, can't blame though.

It really is about the money. You're usually looking at several thousand dollars per parade. A lot of times the appearance fee is negotiable and corps have been known to haggle for the highest price possible. I have a friend who has volunteered on the 4th of July committee in a suburb of Milwaukee for years, and they honestly have not been able to afford a drum corps in their parade for a couple years because the price tag has gone up so significantly. And it's not that there haven't been corps in the area... The Cedarburg, WI show is usually right before the 4th and corps are passing through the area or staying in the area over the holiday. They just can't afford to get much more than a pipe band and maybe a local community band.

But never fear, Pioneer is doing 6 parades over the weekend!

Edited by PioneerWebmaster

One of the parades in 06 I was about to explode... drank too much water when the bottles went around I guess. That was not good. Might've been Bunker Hill? I dunno. My memory is not good with individual places on tour (I can't remember housing sites, etc)

edit: might've been that wakefield parade... I'm pretty sure it was in Boston, and somewhere in the 4-7 mile range.

Edited by soccerguy315