Size of people marching

I know all the way back in 95 when I auditioned for BD, the brass staff was happy with my playing, but the Visual staff was concermed about my weight. They were willing to work with me to lose some of it. and that was in 95 ! I'm sure that the views have evolved since then...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know all the way back in 95 when I auditioned for BD, the brass staff was happy with my playing, but the Visual staff was concermed about my weight. They were willing to work with me to lose some of it. and that was in 95 ! I'm sure that the views have evolved since then...

Perhaps, But I doubt it. God bless .

This is the part of the activity that makes me sick. Not the practice so to say but the stringing along of prospective members to make a few extra bucks. I've seen no mention of weight (totally understand) and height (imo that is complete bullcrap) on corps websites but they have no problem collecting a fat and short kids audition money.

That being said, the best marcher I've taught in 8 years in a 5 foot tall mello player and she could march circles around most people I see in the summer.

Edited by CloudHype

Was 4'11" in the pit or guard?

Blue Devils lately seem to always have the most diversity in marching member height. In 2008 and 2009, the height ranged from 4'11 - 6'6.

Hell...we had close to that in 84....2 people right next to each other in the French horn line...both multiple year vets of the corps (83-86 for both of them)

I don't have a screen cap, but can anyone get a shot of the first block (diamond) that Cavaliers made in 2005? It's not really a block; it's two rectangles with a line of guard members in between them. The very top point in the bottom block, every single time I saw that show and even on the DVDs to this day I think that guy is completely out of the form until I realize he's just short. There had to have been at least one judge who thought the same...

its probably a lot easier for someone over 6'0 to jazz run, rather than someone like 5'0. but then again, i was at a BD rehearsal this year, and the tallest guy was the one slowing down the front line on the last move, but right after that, a shorter guy in the back fell, and took out like 7 guys behind him on the same move, and a lot more corps seem to be doing faster paced drill. i think its 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Weight is at least something that is generally within a persons control. Height is not. You can make yourself thinner or heavier, but you can't make yourself taller or shorter.