Size of people marching

This is strange. Only a question now, But does height have anything to do with how clean a corps looks or marches. I have been watching the top scoring corps, the cleanest ones. I have noticed that they seemed to be much more matched as far as height and weight go. As soon as it drops to the 70s range(this is early in the season) I notice a change. Nothing REAL obvious, but one you will notice. I can only imagine that it could be matching stride. Making it much easier to get to the correct mark at the correct time. If I am right, is it a planned thing with some corps? A corps that is always on top have so many people that try out, can they pick and choose enough to make this possible? Sure there are a few that don't match, but not many. Just a thought.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is strange. Only a question now, But does height have anything to do with how clean a corps looks or marches. I have been watching the top scoring corps, the cleanest ones. I have noticed that they seemed to be much more matched as far as height and weight go. As soon as it drops to the 70s range(this is early in the season) I notice a change. Nothing REAL obvious, but one you will notice. I can only imagine that it could be matching stride. Making it much easier to get to the correct mark at the correct time. If I am right, is it a planned thing with some corps? A corps that is always on top have so many people that try out, can they pick and choose enough to make this possible? Sure there are a few that don't match, but not many. Just a thought.

Kinda like this?

crossmen.jpg

One plausible explanation is that lower scoring corps are more likely to have larger fluctuations in age. How often does a 14 year old make one of the big six?

That is true. But I was 17 and 5'6" the guy next to me was 6' 3" or close. We came in 4th. Granted that was a long time ago. Thanks for the input. I am just wondering if some of it is planned that way.

I didn't march corps but did march jr/sr high school and 2 years of college band. At 6'4 1/2" I'm interested in the the responses to this thread.

Not just hieght but wieght might make a difference. I forget what year it was (maybe 2000-2001) Cavaliers had a large guy in the guard that keep attracting my eye ( no not that way...not that anything wrong with that) but I wondered how he affected the guard score. He was very good by the way.

Your just seeing better and more uniformed technique which will give out a projection of lifting in most styles. There is a difference in sizes from member to member but your eyes are being tricked.

Also... A good uniform will make members appear taller.

Not just hieght but wieght might make a difference. I forget what year it was (maybe 2000-2001) Cavaliers had a large guy in the guard that keep attracting my eye ( no not that way...not that anything wrong with that) but I wondered how he affected the guard score. He was very good by the way.

I think you may be thinking about 99. He was a little bit distracting.

Speaking from experience there is an optimum height/ weight for certain corps... Preferably the taller you are the better... If there are two players that can play at the same level and march at the same level but one is 5' 5" and the other is 6' 1" the taller player is getting the spot..

Visual designers look for the height to really give a larger than life impression when you see a member... Hence the now 14" plumes the top corps have... Corps that dont have the advantage of having vertical plumes, especially look for taller members. Their members usually average as the tallest in the activity as they have to make up for lost height....

It's how big the heart is.

If you've got that, everything else regarding height and weight becomes superfluous.