Size of people marching

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I had to think for a moment when you used km instead of miles. Out of curiosity, does anyone use metric over there? I ask because I'm going to be doing engineering at college and I have a feeling it's going to be paaaaaaaainful. Not as painful as the 0.00 mile though.

Life in the US is mostly English units. Engineering will be metric, although the occasional professor might throw in a problem with units of furlongs per fortnight just to be cute.

This is the part of the activity that makes me sick. Not the practice so to say but the stringing along of prospective members to make a few extra bucks. I've seen no mention of weight (totally understand) and height (imo that is complete bullcrap) on corps websites but they have no problem collecting a fat and short kids audition money.

That being said, the best marcher I've taught in 8 years in a 5 foot tall mello player and she could march circles around most people I see in the summer.

Can you list examples of people being cut from corps solely for being too short? (As opposed to being unable to perform the technique required due to height) Bonus points if you find examples where this person was strung along to make a few extra bucks. Until you do that you are talking out of your ###.

I've seen people get cut for weight, but it was never a case where they staff didn't tell them there was a concern with their weight early on. Every instance I've seen the staff has told the person early on that they need to lose some weight if they are going to make the line. Some of them don't think they are serious and then end up getting cut later on because they didn't lose any weight. Some of them step up and lose the weight and then make the line.

I doubt that corps are looking at how tall a person is when deciding where they'll stand in the line or even if they'll make the corps. I am certain that the exception would be, naturally, if a potential member is overweight. That has to be a serious consideration as it can pose serious health issues and that member would be an injury/liability risk.
No personal disrespect or disregard for your experience intended - but sorry, I'm not buying this one. There are folks of all shapes and sizes marching at all levels of the activity.

peace,

Fred O.

Not saying it's the norm, but tell that to the fellow who was told by one of last year's top 4, "You've got the chops, and you're great with the visual, but you stick out like a sore thumb when we look at the [snare] line. You're just too tall." He was lucky he was able to find a spot playing set in the pit with another corps at that late of a date (I believe it was April-ish).

Also, I had to think for a moment when you used km instead of miles. Out of curiosity, does anyone use metric over there?

I do....but my business is the sport of fencing, and since it's a Euro-born sport, everything's metric (although almost everyone does clothing measurements in inches)

If you're in SoCal, Pacific Crest is a LOT closer than BD or SCV....about 300 miles closer. There's also VK, Impulse, Gold (if you're going to be closer to San Diego), and SoCal Dream Sr. BD and SCV are going to be VERY tough to make, especially for someone with no prior experience. It's not IMpossible...I did it...but it IS going to be more difficult.

Not saying it's the norm, but tell that to the fellow who was told by one of last year's top 4, "You've got the chops, and you're great with the visual, but you stick out like a sore thumb when we look at the [snare] line. You're just too tall." He was lucky he was able to find a spot playing set in the pit with another corps at that late of a date (I believe it was April-ish).

Yikes. I wonder if they would've turned away Ralph Hardimon or Tom Float?

Fred O.

Yikes. I wonder if they would've turned away Ralph Hardimon or Tom Float?

Fred O.

There is a photo of Float on his Facebook page when he was marching with the Kingsmen. To keep the snares the same height, it looks like he is playing near his kneecaps!