Size of people marching

As much as many may not like to admit it. It is true that some top corps will stay away from midgets and dwarfs. :tongue:

....as well as those that are mental midgets.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I marched with a girl who tried out for Blue Devils and was cut for being too short. I remember a couple of the taller members being called out by the visual staff more at rehearsal more than others partly because they stuck out more because of their height.

It is true that some top corps will stay away from midgets and dwarfs. :tongue:

Not true: Three of the G7, for their 2011 Cirque type shows, already have casting calls out for people of that physique:

Blue Devils are planning on doing the Stonehenge scene from the movie This is Spinal Tap;

Cadets are planning on doing music from the movie Snow White;

The Cavaliers are planning on doing music from The Wizard of Oz.

No we didn't. Nice try though.

I really think stride has alot to do with it. Again, I may be over thinking things. People go look at it. And look for the small changes in height(very small), and changes in score. I am not saying it is a judging matter. I think it is performance.

It's how big the heart is.

If you've got that, everything else regarding height and weight becomes superfluous.

Tell that to the corps that cuts people SOLELY based on physical appearance. It happens. And that individual is often told the exact reason why. I marched with a guy who was cut by a certain legendary brass arranger at a certain corps for being a "big guy." Yeah, I'm glad he wound up where he did because he was a good marcher and an awesome player. Come to think of it, we picked up another few people from this same corps who were not meeting height/weight requirements...

More disgusting than their stringing along of alternates, IMHO.

Not just hieght but wieght might make a difference. I forget what year it was (maybe 2000-2001) Cavaliers had a large guy in the guard that keep attracting my eye....

BlackStar a chubby chaser? Its ok to be a chubby chaser-- GIVE CHUBBY A CHANCE!

Check out Robbie Carson on the far left and Kurt Peterson to the far right; SCV 1971

Nice photo! This in one I have never seen before.