Size of people marching

I haven't read anything from this forum but in my opinion I don't think height or weight really matters. In other words nothing should effect the score thats not the performance. If I was judging a show I wouldn't judge it by the height or the weight of a person but rather judge a show by how well the group performed that night. But of course this is all my opinion.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weight is at least something that is generally within a persons control. Height is not. You can make yourself thinner or heavier, but you can't make yourself taller or shorter.

Well, the Chenise at one time use to shrink the feet of women (I could be slightly wrong in that statement. If I am, sorry... :tongue:), so maybe it could work for height... :worthy:

Uniformity with body structure; do not see that as an issue. But I have seen some weird issues with uniform snare heights. I think is was 2005 or 2006 when Cadets had a very short girl in the snare line, and to keep the drum heights the same they had the top of her drum up around her arm pits.

While I'm not sure I agree with the concept... I have to admit I always kind of liked the way it looked.

http://www.jolesch.com/userView.aspx?ID=39...mp;EventID=3099

Uniformity with body structure; do not see that as an issue. But I have seen some weird issues with uniform snare heights. I think is was 2005 or 2006 when Cadets had a very short girl in the snare line, and to keep the drum heights the same they had the top of her drum up around her arm pits.

Didn't hurt her much...it was 05, she won the ring and drums....and she was the center snare.

I know all the way back in 95 when I auditioned for BD, the brass staff was happy with my playing, but the Visual staff was concermed about my weight. They were willing to work with me to lose some of it. and that was in 95 ! I'm sure that the views have evolved since then...

Yeah this is definitely still an issue. I have a friend who was cut from the trumpet line at Crown this year for being about 30lbs overweight, even though he kept up with the rest of the hornline during basics. A few other trumpet players were cut because of weight, but they were significantly bigger, like 40-50lbs overweight. This also happened I believe a few lead baris at Crown. Slim is in. haha

Didn't hurt her much...it was 05, she won the ring and drums....and she was the center snare.

Does not that fact sort of blow out of the water the OP premise that body heights have to be uniform to score well?

Edited by Stu