Size of people marching

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uniformity with body structure; do not see that as an issue. But I have seen some weird issues with uniform snare heights. I think is was 2005 or 2006 when Cadets had a very short girl in the snare line, and to keep the drum heights the same they had the top of her drum up around her arm pits.

As much as many may not like to admit it. It is true that some top corps will stay away from midgets and dwarfs. :tongue:

Not just hieght but wieght might make a difference. I forget what year it was (maybe 2000-2001) Cavaliers had a large guy in the guard that keep attracting my eye ( no not that way...not that anything wrong with that) but I wondered how he affected the guard score. He was very good by the way.

Yes, 2000 was his last year and he was quite good and could move quite well...Cavaliers won high guard that year.

Yes, 2000 was his last year and he was quite good and could move quite well...Cavaliers won high guard that year.

Absolutely great guy by the way.

Not just hieght but wieght might make a difference. I forget what year it was (maybe 2000-2001) Cavaliers had a large guy in the guard that keep attracting my eye ( no not that way...not that anything wrong with that) but I wondered how he affected the guard score. He was very good by the way.

They won Gold Medals both those years might hint at affect.

Taller, slimmer forms on the field look better -- that's just an aesthetic truth. Uniforms have long been designed to fool the viewer's eye into believing the people wearing them are slender, statuesque ... and identical (for example, how tall was your plume "back in the day?" I'm pretty sure the average now is more than 12" .. look at Cadets, Crown, Blue Devils... etc.)

I doubt that corps are looking at how tall a person is when deciding where they'll stand in the line or even if they'll make the corps. I am certain that the exception would be, naturally, if a potential member is overweight. That has to be a serious consideration as it can pose serious health issues and that member would be an injury/liability risk.

Check out Robbie Carson on the far left and Kurt Peterson to the far right; SCV 1971

Robbie Carson - SCV

Edited by amadorj

There have been a couple cases where I've seen a set and thought it was really dirty then realized it wasn't interval problems it was just really drastic height differences. I remember a set at the end of Glassmen 08 like this that had me say 'wow gross' at first then I rewatched it and it was mostly just the angle and different heights.