Has Fieldler really made a difference with SCV?

Why does something have to "have happened"??

Doesn't he have a real job outside of drum corps? Perhaps he moved to California for a better job offer and the gig with SCV was just a fortunate happenstance?

(Bueller?)

I'm pretty sure he is full-time at SCV.

If people want more "information" they can probably find it in the forum archives. Jeff retired from Cavies in fall 2007 and accepted the position at SCV in spring 2008. I think there was ample discussion about both moves if you go back and search around those time periods.

BTW, I marched with Jeff in 1977. I'm sure he's reading this and having a good laugh. Especially the aspect of me, who he knew as a rookie who could barely march in step, answering questions on his behalf. It speaks volumes about the absurdity of online discussion forums.

But, honestly, the decision to go from Cavies to SCV seems like a no-brainer to me:

1. increase in status (corps director to CEO)

2. bigger organization

3. chance to work with a legendary corps

4. higher salary

5. change of scenery

and on and on...

Edited by vferrera

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Let's stop pretending that there wasn't a great deal of dirty laundry involved with Mr. Fiedler's move from The Cavaliers to Santa Clara Vanguard. It's a fact, the members don't want to talk about it, it happened. Obviously, he's done great things for the Cavaliers organization. I'm sure he will continue to do great things in California with Vanguard. But let's PLEASE stop pretending we don't all know that there was some very messy internal business. Frankly, it's not any of our business to know the specifics but let's not gloss over the reality of the situation.

2. Mr. Fieldler's move to SCV and improvements therein don't have very much to do directly with the show. One poster questioned what part of SCV's on field performances needed work. It isn't his job to be involved in that process. From the information available to us, we can see that he's on board in a business role and helping the organization take care of the million other things more important than the battery or pit book.

From what I've seen, as an alumnus and local band director who has had a number of students marching in either of the SCV corps in recent years, Jeff has made a MAJOR difference in the corps' operations, both on a large-scale (helping it to transition to a quality, well-organized and business-like model, which it had seriously lost for a while) and on a day-to-day operations level. There were times in the post-Royer years that I would cringe at some of the stories I heard... the spirit is good, the environment for the members is good and the emphasis seems to be on providing a quality educational environment.... and that's what Jeff's brought. A stable instructional staff will by key to continued growth (and that staff needs a vision and to learn how to write a show that appeals as much to the non-drum corps audience as much as it does to the SCV fan base) but there's no doubting the powerful effect he's had in rebuilding and refining the Vanguard organization.

I am glad to see in your opinion that Fiedler is preparing the Vanguard for future success. I just remember this, Since they hired Poulan, they havent beaten the Cadets nor Devils once.

I am glad to see in your opinion that Fiedler is preparing the Vanguard for future success. I just remember this, Since they hired Poulan, they havent beaten the Cadets nor Devils once.

maybe they should hire Bud McCormick :tongue:

While we're on teh subject of Jeff Fiedler, can someone clear this up for me?

I never got the story of why he "retired" from Cavies after so many years, only to pop up immediately with SCV?

What happened?

Thanks!

I've been a friend of Jeff's since he joined the "A" corps. I stayed at his parents' house many times. I spoke with him immediately after he announced he was retiring after 17 years of corps director and an almost equal number of years in the Cavalier Cadets, "A" Corps and instructor.

Bottom line: Jeff was TIRED. He quit his job as developmental director at a Catholic high school to devote his full energies to the corps. The more he did, the more he found out needed to be done. Jeff told me he was thoroughly burned out when he announced he was retiring in early January of 2008. He realized he was totally burned out and had nothing more to give.

The notion that he popped up immediately at SCV is erroneous. I was with him at the Cavaliers Alumni Corps rehearsal April 25 in Indianapolis. The next day he flew out to California to officially accept the new position that was created for him. He did not go after the position. SCV created it and went after him because he was available. The consensus at the Cavaliers Alumni Corps camp that day was one of nothing but positive thoughts for Jeff and SCV. Jeff was way too talented to be lost to drum corps, and SCV is regarded by Cavaliers' alumni as such a classy organization that there was equal happiness for both.

I've spoken to enough people within the SCV organization to know that they went after Jeff when they learned of his availability. And he finally agreed to do what they wanted him to do...over three months after he retired from The Cavaliers due to burnout.

Any other speculation is just wasting bandwidth.

Straight from the horse's mouth. Not that I'm calling you a horse, Michael. I'm sure you've been called worse. :tongue:

Edited by skajerk

Straight from the horse's mouth. Not that I'm calling you a horse, Michael. I'm sure you've been called worse. :tongue:

I have been called worse, including by myself.

I talk with Don Warren on occasion, I've got friends on the corps BOD whom I talk with and I spoke with Jeff right after he decided he couldn't do any more and needed to get out early enough to give someone else a chance to get up to speed as corps director while there were still a number of months before the season. I was also with Jeff in mid-December at The Cavaliers' hospitality room at the Midwest Clinic (band directors convention) in Chicago.

Any inference—two years later—to the contrary of what I spelled out in the previous post is offensive.

lmao....now that's funny.

1. Let's stop pretending that there wasn't a great deal of dirty laundry involved with Mr. Fiedler's move from The Cavaliers to Santa Clara Vanguard. It's a fact, the members don't want to talk about it, it happened. Obviously, he's done great things for the Cavaliers organization. I'm sure he will continue to do great things in California with Vanguard. But let's PLEASE stop pretending we don't all know that there was some very messy internal business. Frankly, it's not any of our business to know the specifics but let's not gloss over the reality of the situation.

2. Mr. Fieldler's move to SCV and improvements therein don't have very much to do directly with the show. One poster questioned what part of SCV's on field performances needed work. It isn't his job to be involved in that process. From the information available to us, we can see that he's on board in a business role and helping the organization take care of the million other things more important than the battery or pit book.

To me your point in #2 here is what has brought about any of this "dead horse issue" and has made the glossing over you spoke of in #1 a concern again. From what I'm understanding he has been involved in the daily process your speaking about in #2 and it seems as if the "corps director" position with SCV should be filled by now without Jeff having to be an interim. But it was said that he is looking to fill that position so hopefully he can focus more on the back end business of the Corps and get back to that rest he was searching for when he left the Cavies.

Edited by bmroth1

maybe they should hire Bud McCormick :tongue:

2010 – Which caption is holding SCV back?

DCI Finals 2009 – 4th place corps - 4th - GE MUSIC

DCI Finals 2008 – 6th place corps – 7th - GE MUSIC

DCI Finals 2007 – 4th place corps – 7th - GE MUSIC

DCI Finals 2006 – 5th place corps – 6th - GE MUSIC

DCI Finals 2005 – 7th place corps – 10th - GE MUSIC

Edited by bawker