Has Fieldler really made a difference with SCV?

I've been a friend of Jeff's since he joined the "A" corps. I stayed at his parents' house many times. I spoke with him immediately after he announced he was retiring after 17 years of corps director and an almost equal number of years in the Cavalier Cadets, "A" Corps and instructor.

Bottom line: Jeff was TIRED. He quit his job as developmental director at a Catholic high school to devote his full energies to the corps. The more he did, the more he found out needed to be done. Jeff told me he was thoroughly burned out when he announced he was retiring in early January of 2008. He realized he was totally burned out and had nothing more to give.

The notion that he popped up immediately at SCV is erroneous. I was with him at the Cavaliers Alumni Corps rehearsal April 25 in Indianapolis. The next day he flew out to California to officially accept the new position that was created for him. He did not go after the position. SCV created it and went after him because he was available. The consensus at the Cavaliers Alumni Corps camp that day was one of nothing but positive thoughts for Jeff and SCV. Jeff was way too talented to be lost to drum corps, and SCV is regarded by Cavaliers' alumni as such a classy organization that there was equal happiness for both.

I've spoken to enough people within the SCV organization to know that they went after Jeff when they learned of his availability. And he finally agreed to do what they wanted him to do...over three months after he retired from The Cavaliers due to burnout.

Any other speculation is just wasting bandwidth.

Thank you, Michael! I knew someone would know on here, and you answered my question.

Although, as a former Executive Recruiter I know about such things, and I would define a few months, after 17 years at the helm of another organization as "popping up" at SCV. Particularly after "retiring from burnout".

But that's just me.

Again, thanks!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is kind of sad to see how very anxious some folks are to "get the dirt" on someone based on a supposition or suspicion they personally have.. even when there just isn't any.

Seriously, guys. Do you have nothing better to do than infer "dirty laundry" based on some "knowledge" you obviously don't have?

Isn't it drum corps season? Can't you go drive a bus or stir some kool-aid or something?

Stef

I think these things may take a little time. Groundwork has to be laid.

For example, I've heard that he was appalled at the average age of the corps when he got there and perhaps SCV's recruiting philosophy in general. As I understand it, he's trying to change this, and such changes would take a bit to manifest themselves in corps placement.

Just curious...were they too old? Too young?

Just curious...were they too old? Too young?

I think when Jeff got their the average age of Vanguard membership was around 35. He's worked his butt off since taking over to try and get the age back down a little bit: word has it he's almost there :worthy:

* I don't know why my sometimes goofy attempts at humor aren't filtered better, and I apologize :tongue:

Personal attacks have been deleted.

In addition, DCP Community Guidelines do not allow attacks against non Community members, so let's try to keep a lid on unfounded speculation.

Thanks.

1. Let's stop pretending that there wasn't a great deal of dirty laundry involved with Mr. Fiedler's move from The Cavaliers to Santa Clara Vanguard. It's a fact, the members don't want to talk about it, it happened. Obviously, he's done great things for the Cavaliers organization. I'm sure he will continue to do great things in California with Vanguard. But let's PLEASE stop pretending we don't all know that there was some very messy internal business. Frankly, it's not any of our business to know the specifics but let's not gloss over the reality of the situation.

While there are always two sides to every story, I'm just curious about what you're talking about (what do you think is the dirty laundry involving Fiedler leaving Cavaliers). I understand it's probably not prudent to spill the rumors, but I find it interesting that you would make such a scandalous statement that is super vague. I'm sure you know that it's impossible to un-ring the bell once you publicly suggest that Fiedler did something questionable enough to cause him to leave Cavaliers; it seems a bit irresponsible to make the allegation with not even a story to establish your claim (let alone proof). Again, I know you're probably kind of trying to be at least a smidgen respectful (or maybe you're just trolling), but you have to admit it's kind of classless to say what you did and not even explain yourself.

And mods, for what it's worth, isn't this against DCP policy: making a subtle personal attack on a member of the DCP (and DCI/public) community? Or maybe against DCP policy for posting unsubstantiated rumor?