Akron, OH show, July 9!

Bluecoats over Crown had nothing to do with homefield advantage or an "off nite" from Crown...Bluecoats show hold more content and more exposure..should have been on top in Ewing, but its was close, I think 'coats will stay ahead of Crown, or theyg o back and forth with 'Coats ultimately ahead by seasons end.

Gotta love DCP Parents, interjecting their "kmowledge and expertise" ..I understand, I would want the corps I "honk" for to go undefeated too.......

Either way, both corps are stellar this year !

G

The home show advantage theory is ridiculous. The judges don't care where they are or who's show it is.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear this refrain often... that a Corps has ( quote) :" very little room to grow ".

I have absolutely no idea what this means. I draw a complete blank when I hear this.

What restricts a Corps from changing, altering, deleting, improvising, creating, etc lots of implementations both musically and visually, guard wise, percussion and brass wise etc that can make the show and/ or its theme " grow " and come alive more ?

There is no restrction, imo.... except with perhaps the creative imagination limitatons of the staff. Other than that, I can't think of any limitations on a show' s " growth " and development potential, frankly.

Time.

It can easily take an entire rehearsal day to coordinate non-trivial show rewrites. It's a gamble to be sure, as one can get a heck of a lot of cleaning done in 12 hours of rehearsal. In the end, the most successful corps is the one that best maintains this balance of constant improvement of content and cleanliness.

I think that comments on a show's potential for growth are valid. They may not always be sound, but they are certainly valid. One aspect to consider is how a corps is scoring relative to other corps whose shows are considered to be less clean. As an example, I am optimistic about the competitive potential of the Cavaliers' show because I perceive it to be less clean than the shows of the corps whom they are currently scoring near.

Wow. Good to see captions all over the place. Proves judges are really evaluating based on performance and not slotting. That said, this won't last for long, and I think in a couple of weeks one of these corps (who knows which one?) will be slotted above the rest. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the madness.

The home show advantage theory is ridiculous. The judges don't care where they are or who's show it is.

It is absurd. What state did SCV turn the tables tonite and beat the Blue Knights ?

California ? or Colorado ?

Edited by BRASSO

Sounds like a compelling case... but nah... it falls short, imo.

How much " intellectualism ".... with " deeper, more intellectually stimulating " gravitas did we find in the DCI Champion Blue Devils show from 2010 ? the creative and intellectually stimulating ways that one can use.... " folding chairs " ?

Seriously? Hate on BD all you want for not liking their show, but to insinuate that the entire concept of their show revolves around folding chairs is just pure naive thinking. I encourage you to find the Fan Network video with commentary to really hear the myriad of concepts introduced/fleshed out through out their show.

Or how much " intellectualism " was there in the 2009 DCI Champion Phantom Regiment show and theme of......" Spartacus " from a 60's movie we've all seen the plot from on the Turner Movie Classics TV network ?

Phantom also a GE out the yang, as well as VERY good brass and percussion sections. I agree that on an intellectual level there isn't much depth in their show, and I personally am not a fan of that show. But no drum corps fan on earth can deny that Phantom created GE and 'buzz' than most corps, did an impeccable job conveying their intent/ideas, and performed the snot out of their program Finals night. Blue Devils had an intellectually stimulating show that year, and BARELY lost to Phantom: PR's percussion dominance was arguably the distance that put them over the edge (rightly so).

The show with intellectually " the most depth " gets the nod ?

Not unless one's brain cells are low on nutrients and oxygen.

It's all about talent and execution in the end. Don't let anybody try and kid you with the high brow jibberish some peddle. Some of the most arcane and simplistic themes and shows have placed high.... and conversely, some of the most complex, " deeper meaning " offerings and high demand shows have gotten buried by the judges.

Reading this, it is obvious you have never judged drum corps, marching band, WGI, etc because what you state is flat out wrong. Yes, execution is tantamount to competitive success, but it's only one factor. And obviously some of the most complex 'deeper meaning' offerings have gotten buried by judges, but mainly because the designers failed at conveying their intent (Bluecoats last year come to mind). If Cavaliers and Blue Devils perform at exactly the same level, the show with the most depth will win. If Cavaliers have more depth but Blue Devils perform better, chances are Blue Devils will win. But in the case of all things being equal, the strongest design will win every time: a concept that's pretty much judging 101.

Time.

It can easily take an entire rehearsal day to coordinate non-trivial show rewrites. It's a gamble to be sure, as one can get a heck of a lot of cleaning done in 12 hours of rehearsal. In the end, the most successful corps is the one that best maintains this balance of constant improvement of content and cleanliness.

I think that comments on a show's potential for growth are valid. They may not always be sound, but they are certainly valid. One aspect to consider is how a corps is scoring relative to other corps whose shows are considered to be less clean. As an example, I am optimistic about the competitive potential of the Cavaliers' show because I perceive it to be less clean than the shows of the corps whom they are currently scoring near.

In my opinion, when it doubt, simplify and execute the heck out of a watered down show.

The oldest trick in the book by " The Masters " of this craft we call Drum Corps is to CUT the difficult to execute stuff out before Finals.

The Corps that got buried were the Corps who bit off more than they could chew with a demanding show that got some few credits on the sheets for complexity and demand, but got positively killed on the execution sheets, and thus an overall net negative became the end result.

A most wise and intelligent sage once advised us :

" Keep it simple, stupid ".

Edited by BRASSO

I agree with that to an extent. But often a corps get a boost of confidence, excitement and purpose when they're playing in front of "their" crowd at the home show. It's not an arbitrary judging call (i.e. the GE Vis judge didn't just say, "well, it's your home show so you get .5 bonus points"), but crowd's enthusiasm can translate into a more "on"/"electric" performance which could translate into a score boost.

FWIW, I'm in NO WAY implying this was the case tonight: I always love to see the competitive ranks shaken up, and it's awesome to see Bluecoats make a surge up the ranks

In my opinion, when it doubt, simplify and execute the heck out of a watered down show.

The oldest trick in the book by " The Masters " of this craft we call Drum Corps is to CUT the difficult to execute stuff out before Finals.

The Corps that got buried were the Corps who bit off more than they could chew with a demanding show that got some few credits on the sheets for complexity and demand, but got positively killed on the execution sheets, and thus an overall net negative became the end result.

A most wise and intelligent sage once advised us :

" Keep it simple, stupid ".

That is 100% irrefutable for show. But if the performance execution is equal, the best design will always win.

I figured it wouldn't be long before a folk would jump on the "Coats have very little room for more development of the show" bandwagon. It happens every summer. Let's see where we are late July.

Touche! If the shoe fits.

Can't us small people be happy that the Bluecoats defeated the DCP darlings tonight?

Gezzy chreeezy! <$1.00 to Eddie Izzard> Touchy much?

OK, what I said was in no means a slam on the Bluecoats or in support of Crown. If you took that way, sorry. And no where inmy post did I say Bluecoats fans couldn't be happy. I mean... I'm a Bluecoats fan! I was merely asking a question. How can you call someone a front runner after 1 win? My Giants started the year off at 5-0. Front runners, right? Where are they now? 3 games above .500, 5 games out and in 4th place. As I said, with the Bluecoats win tonight, it just mixes it up more which makes for a better season, right? Anyway, wouldn't BD be considered the front runner since they haven't lost?

We'll know more after the west coast corps start mixing in.

Edited by skajerk