Carolina Crown getting a little sloppy...

A very wise drum corps man once said (many times to his corps, and was passed down to me from one of his students) to paraphrase If you do not have class off the field, you can not have class on the field, the falseness of your attitude and actions will show through, not always but inevitably the one time and one place you do not wish it to happen.

You know, this is the type of crap that I used to buy into when I marched drum corps. Then I realized that no one (except the people that were already indoctrinated into this sort of logic) really gives a s*** about how you look off the field. As mentioned before, the Blue Devils (and the Cavaliers, I would add) are some of the most laid back, non-serious, non-uniform, lackadaisical a**holes off the field. Guess who's won twelve of the last fifteen DCI championships? Those two corps. The only thing that really matters is the show you put on the field - the rest is just bull****.

The funniest thing is that Crown has been THE crowd favorite at parades for the past couple of years since they started the whole "laid back" thing. Why do sponsors keep inviting Crown back? Because they're freaking entertaining, and the audience digs it. The population at parades is mostly young, mostly drunk, and they don't really care that much about hearing Semper Fi or The Thunderer or Stars and Stripes. Sorry, that's just the truth. Rip their faces off with a. . . Madonna medley??? They'll probably go crazy. Crown would not be marching parades right now if the organizers thought they shouldn't be.

I'm not trying to say that Crown looked good in that clip by most drum corps fans' standards, but to the people at the parade it was probably a breath of fresh air. Besides, who knew a drum corps playing Madonna would sound that good?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

. The Blue Devils, as much as I don't like their show this year, always carry themselves with a bit of a bad ### swagger. They're good, and they know it. But when they strap'em on and hit the field, those kids are all business. Doesn't matter if its a concert, competition or a run through. Cavi's, Cadets, all the same deal. SCV, you would never see them do that.

I'm assuming for a couple of those groups, retreat 08 doesn't count?

Yes Lance, they are. Every time you put on a uniform and carry an instrument you not only represent your group, you represent yourself. Champions recognize an opportunity to perform and they max it out. They come to play. They come to be the best. You don't take days off, you don't phone it in. Every single opportunity is an opportunity to be a winner. Whether its the first production run through of the day, the stand still after the show, warm-ups, or a parade, you come ready to play. Now if the intent was to give a laid back vibe and have some fun, that's awesome and I would really dig that, but it's obvious in this video that it wasn't the intent. Either the staff needs to communicate better with the kids, or the kids need to kick themselves in the butt and play to the end. If you don't settle for that kind of performance on the field, why would you do it in a parade?

I expect more out of drum corps, and if that's wrong then fine, I guess I am wrong. The Blue Devils always carry themselves with a bit of a bad ### swagger. They're good, and they know it and they're down right cocky. But when they strap'em on and hit the field, those kids are all business. Doesn't matter if its a concert, competition or a run through. Cavi's, Cadets, all the same deal. SCV, you would never see them do that. These corps are Champions and belong to an elite club. If Crown wants to join this club this year, they need to learn that every performance is an opportunity to out do the last one.

Yeah, you clearly don't know a whole lot about how Cavies carry themselves off the field.

Cadets and SCV (and maybe, to a certain extent, Boston) are the only corps that really take themselves that seriously anymore. Good for them, I guess. Must be boring for the members.

Yes Lance, they are. Every time you put on a uniform and carry an instrument you not only represent your group, you represent yourself. Champions recognize an opportunity to perform and they max it out. They come to play. They come to be the best. You don't take days off, you don't phone it in. Every single opportunity is an opportunity to be a winner. Whether its the first production run through of the day, the stand still after the show, warm-ups, or a parade, you come ready to play. Now if the intent was to give a laid back vibe and have some fun, that's awesome and I would really dig that, but it's obvious in this video that it wasn't the intent. Either the staff needs to communicate better with the kids, or the kids need to kick themselves in the butt and play to the end. If you don't settle for that kind of performance on the field, why would you do it in a parade?

I expect more out of drum corps, and if that's wrong then fine, I guess I am wrong. The Blue Devils always carry themselves with a bit of a bad ### swagger. They're good, and they know it and they're down right cocky. But when they strap'em on and hit the field, those kids are all business. Doesn't matter if its a concert, competition or a run through. Cavi's, Cadets, all the same deal. SCV, you would never see them do that. These corps are Champions and belong to an elite club. If Crown wants to join this club this year, they need to learn that every performance is an opportunity to out do the last one.

I'm going to go with this post. It's all about being in full uniform!

Yeah, you clearly don't know a whole lot about how Cavies carry themselves off the field.

Cadets and SCV (and maybe, to a certain extent, Boston) are the only corps that really take themselves that seriously anymore. Good for them, I guess. Must be boring for the members.

Word... I respect that they stick to tradition... but hey... how do the Renegade's say it?? Oh yeah... DRUM CORPS IS EVIL!

Just wondering...

Has anyone here actually attended this parade? Anyone? Okay...if you have...as a marching member or a spectator...you'll know that the route is lined with College Frat Houses and tons of people partying on there lawns. They are there having a good time...as are ALL the corps performing! I don't see how you can say that "Back in my day X corps would never DREAM of doing anything like this" when the people watching the show WAY BACK IN THE DAY aren't the same! Different generation of observers...different generation of performers. Things change....don't they?

TB, what I was saying before, you want to be a champion, then you have to act like a champion. I want Crown to be a Champion, this is their time! But you have to want it enough to max out every performance man. Every opportunity, because I've got news for you, there are TWO Blue Teams that are very hungry right now. Yeah, this wasn't a competition, but champions don't just turn it on and turn it off, they are on ever time they pick up a horn, a flag or a set of sticks.

Crown is a great corps, with great people, and I would love nothing more than to see them win. But sloppy and champion don't belong in the same sentence. If that were the Freelancers, 20 years later or not, I would be embarrassed.

CLASSLESS EMBARESSING DISGRACEFUL CRAP

I can’t believe anyone would excuse this presentation of the activity.

I can only assume:

1.You never marched in a drum corps

2. You have no respect for the activity (Neither does Crown)

1. Marched two years.

2. I have tons of respect for the activity. I may not have gotten involved in it until 2007, but I made sure to watch drum corps shows from every decade. Some of my favorites are those "old-school" corps. The 27th Lancers rifle and flag feature in the 1980 show? Still my favorite colorguard feature, ever. Nothing else has come close, in my opinion. Just to give an example...

You know, this is the type of crap that I used to buy into when I marched drum corps. Then I realized that no one (except the people that were already indoctrinated into this sort of logic) really gives a s*** about how you look off the field. As mentioned before, the Blue Devils (and the Cavaliers, I would add) are some of the most laid back, non-serious, non-uniform, lackadaisical a**holes off the field. Guess who's won twelve of the last fifteen DCI championships? Those two corps. The only thing that really matters is the show you put on the field - the rest is just bull****.

The funniest thing is that Crown has been THE crowd favorite at parades for the past couple of years since they started the whole "laid back" thing. Why do sponsors keep inviting Crown back? Because they're freaking entertaining, and the audience digs it. The population at parades is mostly young, mostly drunk, and they don't really care that much about hearing Semper Fi or The Thunderer or Stars and Stripes. Sorry, that's just the truth. Rip their faces off with a. . . Madonna medley??? They'll probably go crazy. Crown would not be marching parades right now if the organizers thought they shouldn't be.

I'm not trying to say that Crown looked good in that clip by most drum corps fans' standards, but to the people at the parade it was probably a breath of fresh air. Besides, who knew a drum corps playing Madonna would sound that good?

TRUTH.

What you do off the field is your own business. But my point is, when you step onto that stage, parade route, field, whatever, you bring it. If you can't bring it, be prepared to be beat and get criticized. This is drum corps, this is the best of the best of the best! If you can't handle a parade, you can't handle a championship.

TB, what I was saying before, you want to be a champion, then you have to act like a champion. I want Crown to be a Champion, this is their time! But you have to want it enough to max out every performance man. Every opportunity, because I've got news for you, there are TWO Blue Teams that are very hungry right now. Yeah, this wasn't a competition, but champions don't just turn it on and turn it off, they are on ever time they pick up a horn, a flag or a set of sticks.

Crown is a great corps, with great people, and I would love nothing more than to see them win. But sloppy and champion don't belong in the same sentence. If that were the Freelancers, 20 years later or not, I would be embarrassed.

You're embarrassed of a group of 150, 20 year olds having a good time, entertaining hundreds of people on a sweltering day? Hmmmm... I know nothing that any one says on here is going to change your mind... so I'm going to stop after this post. People at the show enjoyed it...and I don't think you'd see any of them on here complaining about the performance they received as Carolina Crown passed in front of them.