BD organization in jeopardy

have BDC show up and play. Then the city council wont know what to do.

Honestly, so far this is the best idea I've seen. G7 or not, the people making political decisions about bingo operations need to know the full impact of what they're doing before they shut it down. Maybe this could be the only way to shock the system.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the first thing to go will be the B and C corps. But the one good thing that they have that a lot of other corps don't have are many sponsors. They don't have to pay for most of their equipment and I know at least one company that not only gives them free product but pays them to use that equipment. I looked at the Jarvis stands they have for the mirrors and thought those had to be very costly. Two days later I find out they are sponsored by Jarvis and got them for free. I knows it's a bummer that another bingo hall is coming in down the street but maybe they should look for another location in another part of the bay.I don't see how they can complain that another business is coming in, it hapens all the time in every business. This Put the Freelancers out of business as a drum corps in 1995 and then finished off the drum line this last season. I know they will figure it out but they will have to make many changes.

The latent troll inside me applauds this wonderful piece of craftsmanship. Bonus troll points if you actually sent it. But it's this kind of BS that makes those of us opposed to the G7 look like a bunch of ########.

Still, I hope BD is ready to counter the arguments you made in your troll post, since they're the arguments that will be used to justify this proposal. The economic one is especially dangerous.

yea, there is an auto response:

“Thank you for your e-mail. Your correspondence to the Concord City Council has been received and will be forwarded to the appropriate party. We appreciate receiving your comments.”

Honestly, so far this is the best idea I've seen. G7 or not, the people making political decisions about bingo operations need to know the full impact of what they're doing before they shut it down. Maybe this could be the only way to shock the system.

they aren't shutting it down. They are trying to open another one. Consumers deserve choices.

Yes we do.

On another note, the word "tenderloin" is extremely funny when you say it with a British accent.

:smile:

Something tells me that I'd love to hear you say that. It's gotta be a lot funnier than me saying it to myself.

Back on topic:

I'm not capitulating in any form, and I'd HATE to see this development bring down the BD, even if I've not appreciated their shows of late. I don't want ANY corps to fold, or be abused or taken advantage of in any situation.

BUT, the irony of Mr. Gibbs appeal is dripping. And I don't doubt seriously that BD has plans in place to make the best of it. They are an immense and hugely successful organization and I doubt they got to that stature by having their heads in the sand. I have serious doubts that losing bingo will cause them to fold.

But ripping out a major source of their funding is remarkably similar to the proposal that he, himself, presented to DCI if you look at it from a "Non-shall not be named" corps.

I get it. We can't drag off topic. So, on topic, I'll write a letter to the Concord City Council and fight for BD's piece of that pie if, and only if, Mr. Gibbs retracts his part in the proposal and makes it a point to be the first corps to officially drop from the "G-shall not be named".

In both cases an appropriate thought would be "Yeah, THAT'll happen".

I don't want to see any corps, anywhere, have to fold, ever. Like 'em, don't like 'em-irrelevant. The activity is poorer for any loss.

... the people making political decisions about bingo operations need to know the full impact of what they're doing before they shut it down. Maybe this could be the only way to shock the system.

CORRECTION: The City Council is NOT voting to "shut down" the BD Bingo Hall! Gibbs just wants his BD Bingo Hall to be the only one available in the neighborhood. Gibbs obviously does not want competition from a large rival bingo hall three miles down the road; they will bite into his multi-million dollar cash cow. Nothing more!

This isnt meant to be a slam on the BD organization, or any other drum corps organization. But how do corps support there local communities? I think it would be pretty safe to say that many of the world class corps do not have a majority of their membership from their local communities, and most of their staff members aren't from the local communities.......so then how is it that so many corps can try to say that they serve their local communities?

Again, not a slam but more of a curiosity of what corps do to show support to their local areas. Hopefully people post some positive things here that corps do

I don't want to see any corps, anywhere, have to fold, ever. Like 'em, don't like 'em-irrelevant. The activity is poorer for any loss.

everyone else goes on tour each summer without bingo. And they are not even taking BD's bingo away.

Basically, Gibbs is arguing that the government should kick the other drum corps out of California because they are cutting into his consumer base. Only with bingo.