Naperville IL

I'm really surprised at that with Aungst being at the helm and all. Must be the talent level.

I don't believe it's the talent level, I believe it's the attitude. Never was impressed with Tom Aungst.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe it's the talent level, I believe it's the attitude. Never was impressed with Tom Aungst.

Really? I guess I must be naive then, because I was pretty impressed with him the four years I had him as an instructor in high school. His percussion section was so small that he took a pretty large number of kids from the hornline (myself included) each year to fill out the pit and drumline for indoor season, and yet his ensembles have NEVER fallen out of the top three (while winning four times, including two repeats) in their lengthy WGI history. I don't know of very many people that can take a large group of teenagers (sans audition) and have them crank out advanced material on instruments that are completely foreign to them all within five months' time. Trust me when I say that in terms of professionalism and work ethic, there are very few educators like Tom Aungst.

MY question is, what is his level of involvement? Is he on tour full time with Neil, or is he doing the whole writing/consultant thing again?

Edited by Musicman1084

According to some FB statuses that have just been posted, it looks like the show has been canceled completely - no standstill. Is anybody else hearing the same thing?

From BradF on the BS Forums:

Not going to work out for even a standstill for us tonight. Too much rain and lightening and vehicles parked too far from building. Naperville parking situation is complex, so no way to even get the vehicles closer. One of these years we're going to get this show off without a hitch.
Edited by AlexL

just got home from the Naperville show... Pioneer performance stopped mid-show due to lightening. Then an announced standstill performance - implying "everyone" would be performing in the standstill - but only Pioneer, Spirit, Cavies alumni and Cavaliers performed. Typical "way hot inside a huge echo chamber" performance.

Kinda bummed Blue Stars, Madison and Crown all bailed on the standstill, but that's the way it goes. As is so typical with mother nature (that #####) :tongue: , the first few raindrops started falling just as Colt Cadets were coming out to start the show. Two years in a row now for that show with rain... Ugh. And a bad day in the city of Naperville itself with a restaurant fire that shut down a whole side of the city.