Why Blue Devils Win

First off, I don't like the Blue Devils. My favorite corps are Scouts, Cavaliers, and, to a lesser extent, SCV and Phantom.

But I understand why the Blue Devils win. A lot of people seem to have trouble with this, so allow me to share my thoughts.

Blue Devils don't win because they have a better show. If you are wondering what it is the judges see that you don't see, you can stop wondering. There aren't any subtleties in their show that you are missing. The judges see exactly what you see.

What you are missing is the fact that the show is not "the show". The details of the music and drill are largely irrelevant. They could do 8x8's and play Come to Jesus in whole notes. It wouldn't matter. The real show is the performers themselves. It's not what they do, but the way they do it.

Every year, BD picks the most talented and attractive performers in drum corps. They train these performers in a system that emphasizes one thing - performance. Not education. Not self-discovery. Not camaraderie. Just performance.

So what happens when these performers hit the field? Surprise! They perform. They show off their talent and ability with confidence, with aggressiveness, with attitude, with style and with swagger. They exude esprit de corps. They love to show off and it shows.

You might not like what they are doing, but I dare anyone to say that they don't appreciate and enjoy the sheer professionalism and physical grace that is on display whenever they are on the field. The way they move and play generates its own effect. Bottom line: they are just fun to watch.

Drum corps is pageantry. Pageantry is a form of display behavior. Fundamentally, it is no different than a peacock showing off its tail, a moose showing its antlers, or a songbird singing to attract a mate. It's not subtle and sophisticated, but basic, primal and instinctive. It's all about "strutting your stuff." The Blue Devils strut their stuff better than anyone else. That's why they win. It's that simple. It's not rocket science, just simple biology.

Just my .02.

btw, I hope my Scout and Cavalier brethren don't see me as a traitor for posting this. It's just the way I see things. I still hate Devils :tongue:

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait...The Blue Devils win because they are good? No wai!!

Edited by DrillmanSop06

First off, I don't like the Blue Devils. My favorite corps are Scouts, Cavaliers, and, to a lesser extent, SCV and Phantom.

But I understand why the Blue Devils win. A lot of people seem to have trouble with this, so allow me to share my thoughts.

Blue Devils don't win because they have a better show. If you are wondering what it is the judges see that you don't see, you can stop wondering. There aren't any subtleties in their show that you are missing. The judges see exactly what you see.

What you are missing is the fact that the show is not "the show". The details of the music and drill are largely irrelevant. They could do 8x8's and play Come to Jesus in whole notes. It wouldn't matter. The real show is the performers themselves. It's not what they do, but the way they do it.

Every year, BD picks the most talented and attractive performers in drum corps. They train these performers in a system that emphasizes one thing - performance. Not education. Not self-discovery. Not camaraderie. Just performance.

So what happens when these performers hit the field? Surprise! They perform. They show off their talent and ability with confidence, with aggressiveness, with attitude, with style and with swagger. They exude esprit de corps. They love to show off and it shows.

You might not like what they are doing, but I dare anyone to say that they don't appreciate and enjoy the sheer professionalism and physical grace that is on display whenever they are on the field. The way they move and play generates its own effect. Bottom line: they are just fun to watch.

Drum corps is pageantry. Pageantry is a form of display behavior. Fundamentally, it is no different than a peacock showing off its tail, a moose showing its antlers, or a songbird singing to attract a mate. It's not subtle and sophisticated, but basic, primal and instinctive. It's all about "strutting your stuff." The Blue Devils strut their stuff better than anyone else. That's why they win. It's that simple. It's not rocket science, just simple biology.

Just my .02.

btw, I hope my Scout and Cavalier brethren don't see me as a traitor for posting this. It's just the way I see things. I still hate Devils :tongue:

Just call it what it is......POLITICS! Watch a Cadets Practice one time! Lets see The BD one time do a demanding show like that and they will fall on their face. DCI needs to start giving credit for demand!

Just call it what it is......POLITICS! Watch a Cadets Practice one time! Lets see The BD one time do a demanding show like that and they will fall on their face. DCI needs to start giving credit for demand!

Heck! Even the crowds saw it last night and boooooed!

This is just naive and wrong. Show design has just as much to do with success as staff & membership. When BD has had a great corps of members and a weaker show, they don't win: it's the same level of membership and the same staff, but without a Championship vehicle they get different results. I agree with everything else you say (as obvious that it is), but those are are important IN ADDITION TO having a Championship program.

So this is a continuation of the Denver thread, OK. Got it!

Eye opener:

Blue Devils win because of consistent High achieving staff, top performing membership, and a proven design formula.

Wow.... :tongue:

No. What I'm saying is that if you have A and B, you don't need C. Design is over-rated. Performance trumps all.

If this is so obvious, why do the corps with better design get beat by BD every year?

Not education. Not self-discovery. Not camaraderie. Just performance.

I'll argue on that point...you can't do what they do without education....like every other corps out there, they have months to teach (educate) to play...I came in having never marched a slide in my life....yet I was taught (educated) how to do it. They didn't necessarily teach me any music theory, but I DID become a far better musician because of the teaching (education) afforded me by Wayne Downey and Jack Meehan.

Not self-discovery??? BD was the first time I ever was responsible for my own upkeep...and it prepared me for the military. I certainly discovered I could perform in front of thousands of people and not be scared about it...and I discovered that after a season of corps, nothing else was going to feel as hard.

No camaraderie?? I'll point out ScoJo in the 06 Blue Smoke video, talking to the drum line (Sounds like finals....) "Tonight's show's dedicated to every one of you, and that person standing next to you. That's your brother, that's your sister...that's why you guys are here." Sounds like camaraderie to me. EVERY corps builds that...no corps is composed of robots.

Performance is certainly part of it....but WITHOUT education, self-discovery, and camaraderie, performance cannot happen....they're all part of the same whole.

You can't DO this activity at ANY level if you don't have all of those elements. That hasn't changed in the over 50 years of BD's history...nor the 70+ of Madison's, Cavies', or Cadets'....it's universal.

Edited by 84BDsop