Why Blue Devils Win

They win when other corps aren't capable of beating their score.

Fools get angry with BD's design staff and judging and everything else remotely possible while forgetting every corps plays under the same rules that they determine.

Instead, these people should look at why other corps aren't capable of doing as well most of the time. Logical things like that are counterintuitive to those speaking and acting on irrational and unfocused rage, though.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are telling me that when all you "idiots" were trashing The Cadets a few years back (naration)booing at shows! (A Lot of BD Fans on here! ) Your saying you're idots too and classless for booing them! Right? That's how I took it! Last year I think they (BD) should have won! I might even agree that they should have won last night, but the score makes DCI look like idiots! They hold everyones score back the past week and wham...BD move up almost 4 points from the last show. Incredible! Drum Corps fans are smart! They booed for a reason! It was at DCI , not the kids! That is the difference....Classless would be booing any corps at the end of thier show.....

Booing is wrong all the time. No exceptions. End of story.

might even agree that they should have won last night, but the score makes DCI look like idiots! They hold everyones score back the past week and wham...BD move up almost 4 points from the last show. Incredible! Drum Corps fans are smart! They booed for a reason! It was at DCI , not the kids! That is the difference....Classless would be booing any corps at the end of thier show.....

I think your rants are more idiotic than than the spread (though no where near as idiotic as anyone actually boo'ing at a drum corps show). I don't think drum corps fans are smart, in the same sense that just because Twilight made a ton of money last week doesn't mean it's any good (spoiler: it's horrible). Just because a large group of people voices their opinion in one way or another doesn't equal intelligence: it typically equals ignorance (kind of like when the hometown fans boo a called strike even thought it is CLEARLY a strike).

I think your rants are more idiotic than than the spread (though no where near as idiotic as anyone actually boo'ing at a drum corps show). I don't think drum corps fans are smart, in the same sense that just because Twilight made a ton of money last week doesn't mean it's any good (spoiler: it's horrible). Just because a large group of people voices their opinion in one way or another doesn't equal intelligence: it typically equals ignorance (kind of like when the hometown fans boo a called strike even thought it is CLEARLY a strike).

Well look at the istant replay. It's on the fan network! HAHA! You guys get fired up so easy! Sorry to question the almighty BD! :tongue:

They win when other corps aren't capable of beating their score.

Fools get angry with BD's design staff and judging and everything else remotely possible while forgetting every corps plays under the same rules that they determine.

Instead, these people should look at why other corps aren't capable of doing as well most of the time. Logical things like that are counterintuitive to those speaking and acting on irrational and unfocused rage, though.

What I find most intriguing is that while the average DCI World Class show designer or caption is insanely competitive, they typically get FAR less emotional when it comes to losing. In fact, I know a staff of a World Class corps that spent the better part of the last decade trading Championships with Blue Devils, and while they HATE to lose they are understanding when they do (and are always able to admit that when BD beat them it was because they were better). It's too bad that internet fans can't have the same amount of respect/class...

After watching BD a second and third time via the ever-so-helpful fan network (shameless plug objective completed!), I'm going to reverse course a bit.

BD has a rather nuanced visual performance package that I'll be interested to see live. The spread in vis. performance is starting to make sense though.

Speaking as a professional musician, from a musical standpoint I think it's one of the most uninteresting shows they've ever put on the field, but they perform the hell out of it. I think the evidence backs me up on that as the Music GE caption was their weakest caption last night and in general their visual scores were higher than their music scores. (for my money, the Bluecoats have not only the most technically challenging brass book this year, but the most enjoyable, for what it's worth).

In summary, if others corps are going to catch them, they'll need to do it through the music captions, which is where BD is weakest right now. I don't think it'll happen, but that's my assessment.

Well look at the istant replay. It's on the fan network! HAHA! You guys get fired up so easy! Sorry to question the almighty BD! :tongue:

Troll,

Not even REMOTELY fired up but thanks for reinforcing my original instinct to dump you in the 'ignore' file.

PLUNK

:tongue:

Just call it what it is......POLITICS! Watch a Cadets Practice one time! Lets see The BD one time do a demanding show like that and they will fall on their face. DCI needs to start giving credit for demand!

They do give credit for demand, and the Blue Devils have come out on top more times than ahyone, ever in the DCI era in Brass, percussion, visual, GE, and colorguard...oh and total show too !!

I dont think anything else needs to be said.....argue all you want to justify your desire for second best to get the top prize but when push comes to shove Devils do it louder, faster, more frequent and more consistent than any other corps in the history of DCI through all changes to the judging system..and believe me, politics have gone against them more then it has "for" them......

G

First off, I don't like the Blue Devils. My favorite corps are Scouts, Cavaliers, and, to a lesser extent, SCV and Phantom.

But I understand why the Blue Devils win. A lot of people seem to have trouble with this, so allow me to share my thoughts.

Blue Devils don't win because they have a better show. If you are wondering what it is the judges see that you don't see, you can stop wondering. There aren't any subtleties in their show that you are missing. The judges see exactly what you see.

What you are missing is the fact that the show is not "the show". The details of the music and drill are largely irrelevant. They could do 8x8's and play Come to Jesus in whole notes. It wouldn't matter. The real show is the performers themselves. It's not what they do, but the way they do it.

Every year, BD picks the most talented and attractive performers in drum corps. They train these performers in a system that emphasizes one thing - performance. Not education. Not self-discovery. Not camaraderie. Just performance.

So what happens when these performers hit the field? Surprise! They perform. They show off their talent and ability with confidence, with aggressiveness, with attitude, with style and with swagger. They exude esprit de corps. They love to show off and it shows.

You might not like what they are doing, but I dare anyone to say that they don't appreciate and enjoy the sheer professionalism and physical grace that is on display whenever they are on the field. The way they move and play generates its own effect. Bottom line: they are just fun to watch.

Drum corps is pageantry. Pageantry is a form of display behavior. Fundamentally, it is no different than a peacock showing off its tail, a moose showing its antlers, or a songbird singing to attract a mate. It's not subtle and sophisticated, but basic, primal and instinctive. It's all about "strutting your stuff." The Blue Devils strut their stuff better than anyone else. That's why they win. It's that simple. It's not rocket science, just simple biology.

Just my .02.

btw, I hope my Scout and Cavalier brethren don't see me as a traitor for posting this. It's just the way I see things. I still hate Devils :tongue:

Agreed. You can watch the Blue Devils do anything and they will always have the attitude that they can do it better than everyone else, even if they can't. It's all about perception and the perception they give off 100% of the time is that they are untouchable.

Booing is wrong all the time. No exceptions. End of story.

Your right! I don't think anyone including myself would boo a corp unless it was bluuuuuuu! But booing the judges score has a nice ring to it! It was a pretty loud boo too!