Why Blue Devils Win

You're trying too hard. That's where the sex part comes in. :rolleyes:

When you see a cirque show or some other visual extravaganza...do you really need a meaning?? Honestly??

It's like asking Bird to explain his last set.

I'm not necessarily looking for meaning. I just didn't know if there was supposed to be something there that I was missing. People keep posting about how subtle and nuanced the show is, so I logically assumed I just wasn't getting something.

But I think we will have to agree to disagree on the visual stimulation. While there are some cool visuals in the show, I personally wouldn't categorize TAGD as an extravaganza. Certainly not compared to a Cirque show.

Add in music that makes my ears bleed and I'm left with a show that leaves me pretty flat.

I'm hoping it grows on me at least a little bit. 1930 wasn't my favorite show of last year, but its at least getting some play on my iPhone.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a choppy musical book when I hear it......I have an MM in Music, and 35 years in the activity.....GB

[/quote

So, what you are saying is...you are an old guy, and totally out of step with young people and today's music!

I get it!

:rolleyes::tongue:

I'm not necessarily looking for meaning. I just didn't know if there was supposed to be something there that I was missing. People keep posting about how subtle and nuanced the show is, so I logically assumed I just wasn't getting something.

But I think we will have to agree to disagree on the visual stimulation. While there are some cool visuals in the show, I personally wouldn't categorize TAGD as an extravaganza. Certainly not compared to a Cirque show.

Add in music that makes my ears bleed and I'm left with a show that leaves me pretty flat.

I'm hoping it grows on me at least a little bit. 1930 wasn't my favorite show of last year, but its at least getting some play on my iPhone.

I wouldn't use the word subtle (some might). I would say that it has a great deal going on, just like the City of Glass. If you're looking through classic drum corps eyes and are trying to focus the BD show, it won't fit, it can't fit. There's lots of other shows that will do that for you. But...if you are looking through a glass, darkly...you'll get it. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't use the word subtle (some might). I would say that it has a great deal going on, just like the City of Glass. If you're looking through classic drum corps eyes and are trying to focus the BD show, it won't fit, it can't fit. There's lots of other shows that will do that for you. But...if you are looking through a glass, darkly...you'll get it. :tongue:

I may have to. And it'll probably look a lot like

:rolleyes:

... without the smile.

:thumbup:

[

However, you can not deny that the musical arrangements are not connecting with a large percentage of the

fan base.....people appreciate the execution of the program, but the program is not connecting with many on

an emotional level, especially musically.

GB

I'll give you this point. To some, the program doesn't connect because they don't know BD's history. Or, they don't like the contemporary/intellectual design approach. I can see where they might leave some fans flat from an emotional point of of view. Point taken. Having said that, we all know that BD will close strong. We know that the performers will elevate the book, connect, and draw the novice fan into their performance. We know that most of the judges have been around for awhile and will "get" it. IMO, this is a VERY special program. If you don't like it, step back and take a deep breath. Rethink your biases, reasoning, and comfort zone. I think we're seeing history in the making. ( BTW I'm no BD homer. Cadets hands down in Pasadena)

That's exactly where I'm at (minus the bleeding ears. I like the music.) There are so many other shows this year that give me variety and creativeness (and goosebumps), and that I can see and appreciate the hard work put into it, though, that I can let this one lie. Maybe by the end I'll be able to appreciate it more.

BD is shifting the paradigm, which means taking a lot of people out of their comfort zone. Look, I miss them playing Johnny One Note as much as anyone. But the Devs have proven that playing "charts" is passe for them. BD is pushing the envelope this year, both visually and musically. I see Pinball Wizard, Great Divide, and numerous other visual references to previous programs. I hear Laura, City of Glass, and chunks of other past productions, all tied together into a cohesive production. The only thing I ask for is "Love For Sale" at the encore this year in Indy. Come on Devs. LOVE FOR SALE for the encore.

"playing charts is passe" ?? interesting......I actually was excited about the mirror idea, but disappointed thusfar that they don't get more effect from them (probably is cooler from field level, though). I actually envisioned a "mirror maze" that they would march in and out of....oh, well. I guess I don't hear the cohesiveness of the chunks, especially La Suerta.......

Where I disagree is that they can't "play charts" and still be challenging, and I think it would be far more effective, and the

"love would return"....

Suggestion.....Buddy Rich's "Time Check"....check out the one sax phrase, and tell me that wouldn't smoke, especially if you did it full ensemble.........this tune would be perfect for BD......(attempted poorly be one Jr. corps and one Sr. corps with performances that nobody will remember)

I guess my question that still bothers me is this....should a musical book that clearly doesn't connect with the majority of the audience receive stellar music effect scores??

GB

Simply, if a performance does not connect with a majority of the audience, should it

receive stellar effect scores?

GB

I'll use my earlier example. Stravinsky was booed in 1913, but the Rite of Spring is now considered a classic. Did the Frenchmen think the Rite was Choppy and too dissonant? Probably. Were the french, like you, too far out of their comfort zone? Yes. Did Igor shift the paradigm? You bet. Did Avatar shift the Paradigm? No doubt. Did Fantasia shift the paradigm? Silly question. Is BD shifting the Paradigm? Figure it out.

Time check is old news. BD played Space Shuttle back in 74. They've been there. Done it.