Why Blue Devils Win

Boo's what? Normally I would comment on my name, but in this case, I'm turning myself into the apostrophe police because it makes my skin crawl.

Please, folks...For the love of your middle school grammar teacher; don't turn non-possessive words into possessive ones.

And because I've already seen it this year, and it's a far bigger pet peeve of mine; Bluecoats is ONE word...not Blue Coats.

And for the love of George Hopkins' hair stylist, it's "corps," not "corp." Enamel falls off my teeth when I see that.

I'm 54-years-old and I've earned the right to be cranky.

I now return you to explaining why Blue Devils win.

" and " when you're 54 and cranky, you've earned the right to start a new sentence with ..." and ".

and so I'm with you Bro' Boo ! ....( haha! )

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this has been posted already (i didnt have time to go through 19 pages of 'meh')

Devs win because of one thing:

They sleep. :tongue:

Discussion over lol :tongue:

Sorry if this has been posted already (i didnt have time to go through 19 pages of 'meh')

Devs win because of one thing:

They sleep. :tongue:

Discussion over lol :tongue:

Got it.. now go back to sleep.

Got it.. now go back to sleep.

if only I could. :)

" and " when you're 54 and cranky, you've earned the right to start a new sentence with ..." and ".

and so I'm with you Bro' Boo ! ....( haha! )

Doncha' know it.

Truth is for decades I would never start a sentence with the word "and." But then I started noticing just that in newspapers and magazines and I figured, "Well, that's another rule that has joined the archaic choir of literary guardian angels."

Can't wade through this whole thread so this may have been pointed out allready, but somone mentioned in the "Whats up with SCV battery" thread that SCV lost some drumline members to Devils. Now, tons of the lower tier corps lose members every year to "The Big Boys Up There In Top 12 (or 7 depending on your stance) ", but if you're able to suck membership from the other corps in the top half of the top 12, I mean for #### sake Devils are getting "feeder corps" members from other G-7 corps! How can anyone possibly hope to compete with that level of talent?

Look: I like the Blue Devils. I've liked their shows over the years. But if you want to know why they win, I would be willing to wager a lot of money it comes down to these things:

1. Money. Talented staff, talented designers and arrangers all cost big bucks.

2. Older Marchers. Duh. If you have a corps like Spirit whose average age is something like 17, and BD whose average age is about 20, you realize that you have juniors in college competing physically, musically, and esthetically with juniors in high school.

3. The inherent advantage top five corps have that make any kind of parity unthinkable: If you counted the number of hours of sleep, and the number of hours of rehearsal corps who go last in performance night after night have, it means an almost insurmountable advantage.

They don't win because they do art better (and by the way, this could apply to almost any member of the G7).

They're older, more talented, better financed, and have more opportunity to heal physically and rehearse. Yeah, it's definitely a mystery.

My friend, you hit the nail on the head. BD is an All-Star team.

This a general comment and NOT geared towards any one corps.

It's been proven time and time again... you could have the most demanding show in the world but if it's dirt... that's all anyone will see and and end the end, that's what is judged.... dirt.

someone somewhere needs to do a huge piece on DCI's site of the FN to educate people about how demand is really taken into account.

demand for the sake of demand is worthless if it's dirty. and really, if you change the philosophy to credit the try more, you'll see the how numbers drop. so a 9.5 in what may become a 9.8, but a 9.4 in how may become a 9.0.

someone somewhere needs to do a huge piece on DCI's site of the FN to educate people about how demand is really taken into account.

demand for the sake of demand is worthless if it's dirty. and really, if you change the philosophy to credit the try more, you'll see the how numbers drop. so a 9.5 in what may become a 9.8, but a 9.4 in how may become a 9.0.

I agree, but corps are forced to walk a very fine line these days. If they underdesign they risk peaking early and being surpassed by other more demanding shows, and you can only add so much to the original show. The trend these days is to overdesign, accept the early season dirt, and hope your corps has it in them to clean the product to the degree where the demand will be rewarded, but of course the risk there is bringing a dirty show into finals week and not maxing out.