Who will win

Kevin, I think your coverage was waaaaay biased. You pointed out every flaw you perceived in MBI's show. I never saw that before from you. Empire apparently had a perfect show. Empire was great and they deserved the win, I gave them multiple standing O's. However, you tore MBI apart. They also were very good and I really dug their show.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin, I think your coverage was waaaaay biased. You pointed out every flaw you perceived in MBI's show. I never saw that before from you. Empire apparently had a perfect show. Empire was great and they deserved the win, I gave them multiple standing O's. However, you tore MBI apart. They also were very good and I really dug their show.

Easy Mikey.........Kevin does a really great job in doing what he does ..BUT...as in any review...the opinions are in the eye of the beholder. His review, or anyone elses, are strictly their perception. Nothing more....nothing less. Just sayin......

I don't "dig" MBI's show ANY year, until I watch the DVD's at LEAST 10-15 times. By then, I become familiar with the music and I see more of the visual package. MBI grows on me over the winter, as do the Hurcs and Bush. I am so familiar with Cabs and Empire music that I love their "stuff" right from first viewing. And, of course, I appreciate the pure execution of ANYTHING The Bucs do.

The exception for MBI for me was their show "Moon Dancing." If they replicate that show in 2011, they could probably make the jump to gold. But again..........that's just the OPINION of an old man who spends $150 every September for DVDs and then watches them from their arrival to the day the new ones come in.............almost EVERY night while spending an hour on my recumbent bike....me, my portable DVD player, my headset, and DCA. I probably won't "dig" MBI and Hurcs until Christmas again this year....but I WILL warm to them........ by April I'll wonder how they didn't finish 1-2.....

Joe in NJ

Exactly!

Here is my response in the thread for Mass. scores (and the reasoning):

Actual Scores from Sat:

1. Bucs

2. Hurcs

3. ES

4. MBI

5. Cabs

But, since the corps were face-to-face the week before, the gap between Hurcs and Cabs halved, Hurcs and ES flip-floped.

So is it as above?

Or:

1. Bucs

2. Hurcs

3. Cabs

4. ES

5. MBI

Or

1. Bucs

2. ES

3. MBI

4. Hurcs

5. Cabs

Or something in between?

Regardless...........this sure is exciting, especially when you add CV performance of 2 weeks ago, Bush late season history, Renegades (so determined to make the trip that they may let the fund raising fever spread to the field)...... don't forget that Alliance topped CV earlier, Kilties seem on a mission and Kidsgrove wants to ride the International flag to the top-10.

MORE reason to love DCA (add in Class A, Mini-corps, and Alumni and you'll have DVDs and CDs to get you through another rough winter).

Joe in NJ

We must fight the urge to assume DCA judges sheets from two different cities can be held to a standard of purity, consistency, and perfection.

Yeah, I don't feel like MBI is at full size.

You are correct, we were short 7 horns for the show.

We sure had a great time this weekend even with all of the unexpected things that came up. I would just like to say thanks to everyone who let us borrow some equipment for the show! Cant wait until Rochester! :tongue:

Hope the trip was a smooth one, MBI (and all who traveled this weekend). See you in early Sept.!

After futher thought, he can say what he likes I guess, as we all can. I just didn't think it was fair or balanced. I stand next to the Kevin in our horn arc, we both play 2nd bari. I thought he should hear my opinion, everyone else can give them here. No personal attack intended.

Edited by Mike_B

After futher thought, he can say what he likes I guess, as we all can. I just didn't think it was fair or balanced. I stand next to the Kevin in our horn arc, we both play 2nd bari. I thought he should hear my opinion, everyone else can give them here. No personal attack intended.

I knew there was no personal attack, but I have to respectfully disagree with you. Kevin usually shows absolutely no bias to the corps he's marched in reviews. There is a good reason a lot of people love Kevin's coverage. He tells it like it is. He won't sugar coat anything for popularity votes. He gives good, honest reviews full of integrity.