Most impressive "reign of terror" in corps history

which corps had the most impressive reign of titles won and damage done?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the "godzilla" award for most carnage?

• BD 76-82, 5 titles in 7 years
    • Garfield 83-87, 4 titles in 5 years
    • Star 90-93, 1 title but dominated strongly
    • Cavies 00-06, 5 titles in 7 years (and second place twice)
    • BD 07-10, 2 titles in 3 years, strong for a third so far
    • BD 94-99, 4 titles in 6 years
    • SCV 73-78, 3 titles in 6 years, a true "founding father" of DCI

Has to be either Garfield or the Cavies. Both caused pretty radical changes in show design, performance practice, judging - pretty much the entire activity. I went with Garfield, because in many ways '84 is the first recognizably "modern" DCI show and this group of shows seems to represent a bigger break with what came before than the early-century Cavies shows.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an old guy, but I had to give the nod to 76-82 Blue Devils......

They lost the title by .35 in 78 and .3 in 1981........so they were very close to 7 titles in a row (in 81 they won every caption except for drums, but lost the show) I was with the Cadets when we won in 83 and 84.....however, we knew that if we were going to win, the toughest corps for us to get by was going to be BD.....in fact, had we not surged after 82, they most likely would have won 7 championships in 9 years....as it stands, they were 1st or a close 2nd 9 years in a row, and nobody is close to that. BD also finished in the top 3 (and thus was a serious title contender) for 12 consecutive seasons....1975 through 1986...a DCI record, in addition to the most DCI titles.....

Cavies streak was good, too, but one of the 5 titles was shared/tied.....BD won all of their's outright.....

I would give honorable mention to Cadets 83-87..........there was a period in there where the corps won 105 out of 117 shows.......not a record, but pretty dominant........also, had 86 not been a "down" year, they could have done 5 in a row.......but they were 4th that year......they did also get 1990, thus taking 4 of 5, and 5 out of 8 years. on the other hand, BD missed by .35 in 78 (though they were 3rd), but nevertheless were just that margin down from taking 5 in a row

All three corps were quite tough during those time frames.......

GB

PS: curious about something.....does anyone know what the official DCI record is for consecutive show wins (including prelim shows)....

my guess is BD, but I have no clue what the number is...............

PS: curious about something.....does anyone know what the official DCI record is for consecutive show wins (including prelim shows)....

my guess is BD, but I have no clue what the number is...............

Including prelims, Cavaliers won 64 straight across the seasons of 2001 through 2003. As far as I know, that's the record.

Including prelims, Cavaliers won 64 straight across the seasons of 2001 through 2003. As far as I know, that's the record.

Thanks! I knew it was at least a full season and well through another..........I think Devs may have had a run close to that, but I have no clue.........

I wonder if 64 is also the all-time record? I don't know if anyone topped that in the VFW/AL days..................

What else would be interesting would be consecutive caption wins counting all shows...........I think Devs may have had some serious streaks in winning brass at shows.........and drums as well........I think SCV may have had a fairly long drum streak in the early days...........

Cavies' streak spanned three seasons - end of '01, all of '02 and half of '03. Still amazing. (And I think it'd take way too much research, but yes, I'd love to know what the longest drum streak in a season was.)

Mike

if BD didnt lose in 08 i bet they could have beat it

If you marched Cavaliers from 2001-04, you only lost 19 shows in your entire drum corps career.

IF you marched Blue Devils from 2007-present you've only lost 8 shows so far. . . from 2006-present you've only lost 13.

Both streaks are pretty impressive. It remains to be seen if Devs can finish this year off, especially since they haven't seen Coats or Crown yet, who will probably be their biggest competition this year (isn't that weird to think?).