Phantoms guard

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I should clarify/restate my thoughts.

It's not that I hate the jazz running. It's just that, for the past four years, I have seen RANDOM members of the hornline elect to jazz run at a size that should be marched, especially considering the fact that everyone around them is marching normally.

To me, this is a mistake on the Emmerts' part. Somewhere along the way, a)the education these marchers got from the Emmerts told them it was okay to jazz run a particular set for little to no reason; b)the Emmerts just plain out told them to jazz run that set (eek); or c)the Emmerts never noticed this particular member at that particular set, and therefore it stayed for the rest of the season.

In any event, I find the blame to be on the teachers' part, not the students.

And, as such, I repeat--get rid of the Emmerts!

It's not that I hate the jazz running. It's just that, for the past four years, I have seen RANDOM members of the hornline elect to jazz run at a size that should be marched, especially considering the fact that everyone around them is marching normally.

To me, this is a mistake on the Emmerts' part. Somewhere along the way, a)the education these marchers got from the Emmerts told them it was okay to jazz run a particular set for little to no reason; b)the Emmerts just plain out told them to jazz run that set (eek); or c)the Emmerts never noticed this particular member at that particular set, and therefore it stayed for the rest of the season.

well agree to disagree i suppose, I guess I don't see the randomness you see, and i guess the 'feet' judges don't either. If the higher ups at PR decided to get rid of the Emmerts I would be very very disappointed as someone who REALLY wants to see them do well. They gave the corps the highest visual scores since the corps was known for their visual during the brazale days, they have shown they are capable of winning their caption.

visual caption heads are hit or miss for corps, it's not so obvious like other captions.... I honestly don't think they'd be able to go in a better direction unless they like.... steal blue devils visual staff or something.

Yes. Let's just agree to disagree :lol:

Edited by Room_101

The Emmerts' have made that corps so much better visually than where they were and also about the "jazz running" small steps by Regiment that not a jazz run that's a jazz walk. Jazz runs start at a 5 to 5.

EXACTLY! All of the prior posts have been about cleaning, tosses, etc. Well, the choreography alone has them at least a point behind the mid-to top guards. If you'll watch the routine, they are actually often clean, especially at the "hits", but the choreography doesn't necessarily lend itself to the highs and lows of the music, so to speak. Also, if you'll notice, Subel was the guard caption head when the guard struggled mightily (especially 2004). In 2005, Adam Sage and company came and cleaned up the guard considerably. I love how the cutoff regarding the "top" guard was at "3", when if you had added only one more spot, Regiment would've been there a few times over the past few years. After the championship in 2008, Adam Sage and company packed up and went to Crown, and someone had the audacity to hire Subel back. Thus, you have the low guard scores. Surprised? I'm not. One simple solution: fire Subel and try to get someone a bit more savvy to come in and rewrite some stuff. Even though the handle says euphguy, I'm far more acquainted with guard these days. :tongue:

I think some caption heads also need ( MUST ) surround themselves with other talent to make the vision come off. In this case maybe the caption head position needs to be someone with a broader vision and a great support staff.

Well the guard IS a problem for Phantom. A rudimentary look at any recent recap with show you that the guard is single-handedly costing PR at least one or two spots in placement every night.

I can also tell you that there is a mounting frustration in the other sections of the corps, who are starting to feel the sting of having their own efforts brought down by a unit who is not performing at the same level as the rest of the corps. There is also talk of a major staf overhaul, possible even a mid-season change,

PR has a great corps this year........what a full sound. Way better than last year I think. The guard is a problem but I also think it's not world class writing at all or musical. JMO Hard to clean if you can't feel it. I think PR deserves the focus NOT starting a winter guard in Georgia....sorry JMO