Any chance Teal makes it past Thursday?

After watching them against Pioneer yesterday, not a chance. Think Pioneer blew them out of the stadium.

I think we may have been watching very, very different shows. While I commend Pioneer for their improved effort, the performance level is just nowhere near where Teal's is right now, at least not in my opinion.

Edited by Musicman1084

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a word, no. Sorry, Teal! Love you!

I think we may have been watching very, very different shows. While I commend Pioneer for their improved effort, the performance level is just nowhere near where Teal's is right now, at least not in my opinion.

We were watching the same shows through different eyes. You also need to take the complexity of the drill and the music into consideration. Without their pit, Teal Sound would have abour five minutes of silence in their show. Further, their drill, although fairly clean is also very basic. Plus, I heard the crowd reaction for both corps. Pioneer, due to their makeup always starts slow. They are now getting it together. Respect your opinion, though.

We were watching the same shows through different eyes. You also need to take the complexity of the drill and the music into consideration. Without their pit, Teal Sound would have abour five minutes of silence in their show. Further, their drill, although fairly clean is also very basic. Plus, I heard the crowd reaction for both corps. Pioneer, due to their makeup always starts slow. They are now getting it together. Respect your opinion, though.

Teal has beaten Pioneer at every show. Sorry, Ed but judges are still seeing Teal well above Pioneer (not that that is any indication of excellence but it is for this topic thread).

I like both shows for very different reasons.

I don't think either one will make semis.

BTW... Teal has Jeff Bridges on visual staff. He is a good addition for this group and has good experience taking corps at Teal's current level to high achievements.

Also he is the poster child of how you should not goof around on tour (he was the Crossmen member in 1980 photographed in uniform in the end zone at finals on crutches).

Just an observation. Teal Sound is having a nice season for thier fist year in WC. The west cost regulars, Crest, Mandarins, Cascades are doing well, Surf seems to be down from Last Season and Pioneer, which seems to be better than last year, can't get out of thier own way, which I don't understand why and could be a whole other thread.

Do you think Teal could make it past Thursday night of Championship week?

no.....not that they are not good, but too many good corps in front of them, with a bit more maturity in performance level.....

GB

Teal has beaten Pioneer at every show. Sorry, Ed but judges are still seeing Teal well above Pioneer (not that that is any indication of excellence but it is for this topic thread).

I like both shows for very different reasons.

I don't think either one will make semis.

BTW... Teal has Jeff Bridges on visual staff. He is a good addition for this group and has good experience taking corps at Teal's current level to high achievements.

Also he is the poster child of how you should not goof around on tour (he was the Crossmen member in 1980 photographed in uniform in the end zone at finals on crutches).

Thanks Joe . But I am only consulting with Teal . The guys on the road are doing a great job and the corps is growing and just working to get better every day . It is a great start for them in WC and every situation offers a new learning moment for many of the members and staff . I believe no matter where they finish they are having a great year and this will serve as the base on which to build in WC for the future . Most important thing is I am glad you enjoyed the show . I am excited about the identity they are building on and while not for everyone , people are paying attention and that is a Good for Teal . The every best wishes for you my old friend !

JB

Had to jump in here. I am a parent of a Teal member and the wife of the person's signature at the end of this post. After having several conversation's with the director (who I actually marched with in the Crossmen:), and in talking with my daughter who is marching her 2nd summer, and hanging around the corps whenever possible, Teal's goals for this year are all about Teal. They are not looking to beat particular corps or obtain a particular placement. This year is about doing the best they can, giving performances that please the crowd and themselves, taking care of the members so that they all have a positive experience and want to return, and given all of that, wherever they end up will be just fine as long as they have maxed out every opportunity for improvement. (which they are doing:) They have EXACTLY the right idea on how to do drum corps, IMO. Without naming any names or quoting anyone, I think it's sad that some people can only make comments about their corps, by saying something negative about another or making it their summers goal to beat another corps, or insinuating that they should be. I think they can and should be proud of what their own corps has accomplished without worrying about other corps positions.

I help run the Wichita show that is tomorrow night - if you are anywhere in the neighborhood come on and join us. It's going to be a great show with NO RAIN or TORNADOS anywhere in sight. (of course its going to be 100 degrees tomorrow, but hey, you can't have everything:)

Thanks.

Had to jump in here. I am a parent of a Teal member and the wife of the person's signature at the end of this post. After having several conversation's with the director (who I actually marched with in the Crossmen:), and in talking with my daughter who is marching her 2nd summer, and hanging around the corps whenever possible, Teal's goals for this year are all about Teal. They are not looking to beat particular corps or obtain a particular placement. This year is about doing the best they can, giving performances that please the crowd and themselves, taking care of the members so that they all have a positive experience and want to return, and given all of that, wherever they end up will be just fine as long as they have maxed out every opportunity for improvement. (which they are doing:) They have EXACTLY the right idea on how to do drum corps, IMO. Without naming any names or quoting anyone, I think it's sad that some people can only make comments about their corps, by saying something negative about another or making it their summers goal to beat another corps, or insinuating that they should be. I think they can and should be proud of what their own corps has accomplished without worrying about other corps positions.

I help run the Wichita show that is tomorrow night - if you are anywhere in the neighborhood come on and join us. It's going to be a great show with NO RAIN or TORNADOS anywhere in sight. (of course its going to be 100 degrees tomorrow, but hey, you can't have everything:)

Thanks.

While I appreciate this sentiment, DCI is a judged, competitive activity. People are going to speculate about placements. It comes with the territory.

Fans always look for their favorite corps to move up because fans feel like the corps is having a great summer, and that's part of the equation, of course, but the part they often forget is the other side of the equation: who's moving down? If the corps you're closest to in score are also getting better, you're going nowhere. That's usually the reason a corps doesn't move up as far as you'd like. Nobody moved down to make room for you.

Thank you that's just what I was going to say. People want to know who will be the next elite corps or next finalist corps or whatever but don't realize not everyone can be a finalist/elite/semifinalist.

While I appreciate this sentiment, DCI is a judged, competitive activity. People are going to speculate about placements. It comes with the territory.

Absolutely, DCI is a judged, competitive activity. Normally, I'd not post in a thread like this, but I want to echo what Jeff and Doug said. We really don't care where we place. We have two goals for this summer that we feel it's very important to meet:

1. Provide our members with a positive, educational experience that they will want to continue with in the future

2. Entertain the audience

Anything past that is frosting on a really good cake. If we place ahead of anyone else, hey, that's cool, but is is NOT in any way a goal.

Can Teal make semis? Maybe. Time and the ability of our members will tell. It's our job as a staff to give them the very bet vehicle we can, and I think we're doing that. As long as we provide a unique, positive experience for the kids and the audience, we'll do just fine. We're building a corps that will stand the test of time.

We have a young, inexperienced corps. Not one member has DCI World Class experience. And to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't want it any other way.