Vic Firth Gourmet

VanguardLA

They've been doing this for years. Basically they have the equipment and know how to make sticks, "what else can we make in our factory?" was the question.

I see nothing wrong with VF doing this. YEARS ago when this started, I was like wtf, but I can understand it coming from a business perspective.

VF should provide pepper mills for all their drum corps :-P

They've been doing this for years. Basically they have the equipment and know how to make sticks, "what else can we make in our factory?" was the question.

My wife got me a VF pepper mill for Christmas several years ago without knowing their percussion roots.

Also Grumman avaition got in to building aluminum canoes after World War II when orders for aircraft dried up and they asked "what else can we make in our factory?".

Edited by Cavie74

My wife got me a VF pepper mill for Christmas several years ago without knowing their percussion roots.

Also Grumman avaition got in to building aluminum canoes after World War II when orders for aircraft dried up and they asked "what else can we make in our factory?".

Same for Rohr....they built BART cars in addition to their aircraft business.

I think the deal with VF was one of the higher ups was also a gourmet cook and decided to make some of his own gear??

I believe they actually bought the factory to make drumsticks. It already made the pepper mills and cooking utensils when they bought it so they decided to keep making them. it wasn't really a conscious decision by VF to move into the cooking world. They just leveraged the existing equipment for some additional income. I believe the factory is located in Maine.

Some years ago they bought up a woodworking company to help meet the needs of their expanding business. The salt shakers and pepper mills are from the product line of that company. I think I read about in an old "Modern Drummer" magazine profile of Vic and Co.

regards,

Fred O.