Over/Under for how many shows will be canceled by weather this year

It seems there has been an unusual number of show cancelations due to weather this year. How many does tonight's make? Or is this about the same number of shows that are canceled each year?

In the 3 years that I marched, I can't remember any show being canceled because of weather. The only weather event I do remember was after we marched (and dealt with a strong cold front that blew through during our show in MA somewhere), 27th Lancers went on after us and the same wind storm blew through their show. So, they stopped during the middle of their show and were allowed to start over.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One year I marched, one of the shows down south got turned into exhibition.

Rained out at Nebraska (UNL) in 2006

Rained out at Chesapeake, VA one year (performed in the gym).

That's at least 3, and there were probably a couple more. I'm sure there were other shows that I wasn't at that were also rained out.

There were a lot of canceled shows last year as well. It's always been this way. Just the chance you take during the summer in the mid-west and south.

And the forecast for the Houston area this week doesn't look very good either:

470_268_100718021432.jpeg

You live in TX. This should come as no surprise. :ph34r:

Edited by skajerk

It seems there has been an unusual number of show cancelations due to weather this year. How many does tonight's make? Or is this about the same number of shows that are canceled each year?

In the 3 years that I marched, I can't remember any show being canceled because of weather. The only weather event I do remember was after we marched (and dealt with a strong cold front that blew through during our show in MA somewhere), 27th Lancers went on after us and the same wind storm blew through their show. So, they stopped during the middle of their show and were allowed to start over.

My first season (2002) we had no rainouts. In fact, I don't remember much rain at all on tour that year.

My second season (2003) we were rained out in Virginia. It ended up being a standstill. At the BOA show in Normal we ended up doing a standstill in a nearby fieldhouse. Either quarters or semis had a fairly significant rain delay as well.

In 2004, we were rained out at our home show. Phantom was leaving the field and the sky just burst open. We didn't get to do our encore or our ageout ceremony. Luckily, they let us do the ageout ceremony at the Ankeny show. We were rained out the following day in Minnesota and our performance at semis was delayed due to rain.

In 2005 I was attending the Sioux Falls, SD show only to have it rained out.

I guess it happens. The upper Midwest has had a rough summer in terms of weather this year. Not much one can do about it. I traveled 1800 miles to see the show tonight in Minneapolis. Pretty disappointed, but what can you do?

Global warming is causing more inclement weather which causes more show cancellations. Sarcasm.

Well, FWIW, this year's January-June period is the hottest on record (globally), with records dating back to 1880.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-new...2010_2010-07-15

Edited by JayM

Until the Naperville show last week, I was thinking...gee we haven't had very many rainouts this year..... hmm weird.