Over/Under for how many shows will be canceled by weather this year

Aren't there more rain outs these days due to the rules changes than weather changes?

In terms of last night only, I think the tornado warning was enough to cancel ANY show, electronics or not. While I'm sure many of us would love to spin yarns about the old days where we marched in driving rain and hail with lightning and horrible wind and even tornadoes in the distance (and we liked it! $2 to Sat. Night Live skit writers), the activity today is not going to take those kinds of chances any more. Every corps is pretty much 1 lawsuit away from extinction in today's world, IMO.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think another question is how will this effect the corps. Will this effect some corps more than others? Corps on a roll, such as Blue Stars, SCV and Cavies. Could it effect their final placement?

I think another question is how will this effect the corps. Will this effect some corps more than others? Corps on a roll, such as Blue Stars, SCV and Cavies. Could it effect their final placement?

I highly doubt this. The reason I say that is last year was the year of the widespread flu among the corps (worse than a rainout). I remember when Crown didn't perform a show due to too many people being sick. BD members also caught the flu and I ended up thinking we would catch them in the competition. Not the case.

This was just another rained out show. No big deal.

Yes, we would all love to blame amps and electronics for the rainouts. I don't know about Naperville, but Omaha and Minneapolis were both canceled more due to lightning and a tornado threat than just rain. That is something that SHOULD cancel a show, electronics or not. I have also seen shows canceled or changed to a standstill due to wet field conditions. Part of that is probably due to the evolution of the visual part of the activity (faster, tighter drill) than equipment changes.

I do agree that in our litigation-happy society, there is the real possibility that one lawsuit and a corps is done. I would have loved for last night's show to go on, but I didn't want anyone hurt.

I highly doubt this. The reason I say that is last year was the year of the widespread flu among the corps (worse than a rainout). I remember when Crown didn't perform a show due to too many people being sick. BD members also caught the flu and I ended up thinking we would catch them in the competition. Not the case.

This was just another rained out show. No big deal.

Look at the BS. On July 10 they were 1.35 behind BAC. On July 13 they were .55 behind BAC. They could have passed them last night. They do not meet again for twleve days. With a rain out we the same status, no one moves up or down. Was last night to be the BS big move? Were they going to jump over BAC? Now they have to wait almost two weeks.

Edited by DAvery

what about records for the other 6 billion years?

120/6000000000 = not very big sample size.

Not to mention that data points for single locations were ,in reality, often taken at many different points with wildly varying equipment and local conditions :-/ So even the small dataset that exists is very suspect.

Edited by corpsband

Finals won't be rained out..... :cool:

It seems there has been an unusual number of show cancelations due to weather this year. How many does tonight's make? Or is this about the same number of shows that are canceled each year?

In the 3 years that I marched, I can't remember any show being canceled because of weather. The only weather event I do remember was after we marched (and dealt with a strong cold front that blew through during our show in MA somewhere), 27th Lancers went on after us and the same wind storm blew through their show. So, they stopped during the middle of their show and were allowed to start over.

2004 was a lot worse, so far this isnt that bad.......I remember the southern swing in Late July/early Aug was cancelled like four in a row or something like that. Cavalier/BD matchups were cancelled and SCV/BD matchups too

G

Finals won't be rained out..... :cool:

Tornado warnings would do the same thing... though i have a feeling that in that place, finals would go as late as was needed.