Minneapolis Corps Directors Meeting

WHISTLE! Stop play. Ten yard penalty for using logic, another 5 yards for good research, and an additional 5 yards for good math skills. It's 1st and 20.

(See, I AM really bad at judging crowds!)

and dont forget the penalty for arrogance, rudeness, and one claiming knowledge to be the one without the facts...LOLOL

G

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and dont forget the penalty for arrogance, rudeness, and one claiming knowledge to be the one without the facts...LOLOL

G

No, these aren't penalites...

Arrogance is usually the first down, rudeness comes on 3rd and long, second down is usually the bluffing play, and ignoring a post is almost alway 4th and very long.

That's a five yard penalty to you for misinterpreting the rules. It's second and 15 for him.

Edited by garfield

No, these aren't penalites...

Arrogance is usually the first down, rudeness come on 3rd and long, second down is usually the bluffing play, and ignoring a post is almost alway 4th and very long.

That's a five yard penalty to you for misinterpreting the rules. It's second and 15 for him.

Nah...I call for his head !!

G

Hey, let's keep this going, G. I want to catch up to you in post count. :smile:

(BTW, it was a big crowd, and we screamed our heads off. Would anybody argue they'd like to NOT have that measly 25,000 today?)

Edited by garfield

Alright, the Cotton Bowl seats 92,100. The entire home side, bottom and top were full. You do the math....This is easy enough to confirm, just watch the video...oh yeah, I forgot, you obviously commented on something you knew nothing about....

No offense, but you shouldn't be throwing out the "something you know nothing about" re: attendance figures.

Look at a typical layout of a 90,000 seat stadium. Focus on the areas from the goal lines to the goal lines. What do you see? About 25-26% of the total capacity of the stadium rests between the goal lines. No way you're fitting nearly half the total stadium capacity in 26% of the stadium's seating area.

DCI has drawn over 30,000 once, and that was in Montreal in 1981. Past that, Finals have been in the 12,000-23,0000 range pretty consistently (less if you take out comp'd tickets).

DCI Finals has NEVER - I repeat NEVER - been an event that had "40,000" fans in attendance. 36,000 once - in '81 - but past that, it's been more on the scale of an AVERAGE major league baseball game in a secondary market like Minneapolis or Atlanta.

OUR big event = one non-descript baseball game. Let's try to keep the numbers in perspective, shall we?

Edited by MikeN

If some of the DCI member corps, whoever they are, want to work together to host events, fundraisers, whatever you want to call them, to benefit the corps, they should be free to do it. At its core, that's what the Super Show idea is about - the 7 leveraging their popularity to host some events in which they'd be the beneficiaries at the end of the night.

And (see my earlier post) that it sounds exactly like what the G7 wants is exactly why they needed to take over control in order to get what they want, IMO. Among other reasons, of course, IMO.

If the 7 leverage their popularity within the confines of DCI the whole activity benefits in addition to them. Part of the benefit of that cost are the benefits, age, and weight that DCI provides in return.

The activity prides itself on teaching the kids to give the ultimate of themselves for the benefit/enjoyment/pleasure of another. It's difficult to see that message getting through when their leaders want to do the exact opposite to the other members of the "brotherhood".

Those who say DC is a business are so terribly wrong. A business is something you do to make profit. A charitable endeavor is what you do because you love and believe in an activity and work to see it flourish. It's magnanimous at its core.

IMO

Oh, and yes, yes, yes, most charities are run well like businesses, too. Someone please prove to me that this one has not been.

Hey, let's keep this going, G. I want to catch up to you in post count. :smile:

(BTW, it was a big crowd, and we screamed our heads off. Would anybody argue they'd like to NOT have that measly 25,000 today?)

Guys... as a reminder, this is not a thread devoted to a discussion of football stadiums, DCI crowd attendance figures, and so forth, as much as I ( and others) might want to discuss such interesting topics.

This is an " illegal shift " causing a " delay of game " due to " illegal substitution ".... 5 yard penalty, and a warning... Lets keep our eyes on the ball... ok ?

Those who say DC is a business are so terribly wrong. A business is something you do to make profit. A charitable endeavor is what you do because you love and believe in an activity and work to see it flourish.

As a lifer in the non-profit trenches, I can tell you that EVERYONE who does it does it for love. The passion that ANYone working as corps director has, whether at a G7 corps or at a Open Class level corps has, outweighs whatever personal profit they might see from the venture.

It's why successful non-profit directors are much in demand, both in the commercial world and in the NPO world. Because they have a passion for excellence and the vision that many regular desk jockeys DON'T have.

But the director who fails to maximize his or her charity's earned income numbers could be considered to be negligent by their Board. If you're running a program that offers concerts, with the ticket prices from those concerts going to underwrite the costs of high-level classes for gifted students, would you be serving your organization well if you underpriced the concert tickets below market value? Or is the better course to leverage the popularity of the hard work your performers do to help pay for the instruction they get that MAKES them that good?

Yes, in a perfect world, there'd be enough of an audience for drum corps that everyone in America would be interested, but reality says otherwise. There's a finite audience, and a lot of THAT audience is disproportionately interested in the top acts in the business. Rather than telling the top acts that they should limit their ability to capitalize on their popularity, why not focus on finding ways to get the rest of the activity to start thinking outside the proverbial box with regards to building and capitalizing on fan affinity - something that Madison/Boston did very well just recently.

There's lots more where that came from - all it takes is some creativity and hard work.

Edited by mobrien

Guys... as a reminder, this is not a thread devoted to a discussion of football stadiums, DCI crowd attendance figures, and so forth, as much as I ( and others) might want to discuss such interesting topics.

This is an " illegal shift " causing a " delay of game " due to " illegal substitution ".... 5 yard penalty, and a warning... Lets keep our eyes on the ball... ok ?

Correcting ones errors is always "on topic"

G