Minneapolis Corps Directors Meeting

The NFL did not lose money because they know how to market themselves (something the G7 have shown they haven't a clue how to do, given DCI's losing its customer base). The person who created Jeffrey hasn't a clue how to market anything that isn't cheesy and/or annoying.

Agreed. I'm assuming G7 will need to rely heavily on outside professional help to do the packaging and marketing of their product. I think this will depend greatly on the national sponsors that they are able to attract to their product. And I'm not talking about the Vic Firths and musical instrument and uniform manufacturers. If they succeed at attaching their wagon to a real set of consumer product sponsors and get help from the sponsors' agencies, this would make a huge difference.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you don't have a clue as to what I am suggesting. If you had the time to review all my postings --I know, I know . . . take a week off from the day job; you would have a better understanding of what I think the G7 is hoping to do, for the good of the drum corps activity.

In a nutshell they are attempting to introduce a hybrid version of your favorite activity to hundreds of thousands of NEW fans --mostly located in major stadiums, and in major markets on weekends in an attempt to make more money for themselves to improve their financial health. The product that they will "build" will be more entertaining than the existing DCI product and it will contain elements of both tradition and also have a certain cutting edge that is yet to be determined. And who is included and what the final format looks like is not yet cast in concrete, so there is no "kicking out " or "ignoring" of anyone or choosing one audience over another because they are thought to be "scholastic". Are you hallucinating?

The proposal was first created to pinpoint an issue and float a possible solution for a growing and serious problem. But I guess it is only natural to have caused the "sky is falling contingent" to come running out of their chicken coops. The danger is real. G7 corps (and others) are not seeing the financial growth needed to sustain operating expenses and debt. And I'm sure you're right. G7 corps made mistakes in the past decades. And guess what? They know it! They want to right their wrongs. Would you prefer a public lynching? Nap time again. :thumbdown:

Why would anyone care what you are "Hoping" the gee6 would do ? We already know, from them, what they want to do...your interpretation is just rhetoric.

G

I really enjoyed your post ativalet and I agree with most of what you said. Personally I've met Guy Laliberté and I find him neither cool nor all that creative. Perverse is the first word that comes to mind actually. I happen to think he is the luckiest man in the universe. However he has made far more "right" guesses than "wrong" ones. And he has the luck or the skill to surround himself with extremely talented people and at the same time has been able to rid himself of others who might have hindered his forward progress. Have you read the tell-all book?

I've never met Mr. Hopkins. And I know little about him other than he appears to have garnered or earned a disproportionate amount of power and influence. I know he has fans and detractors and they are vocal. I can't judge the overall totality of his leadership other than to say if he is the Pied Piper, he has had help. I can't believe that leadership of 6 other corps would blindly follow him hypnotically down the wrong path. I'm not a Cadets fan. I'm not a woodwind fan. But I AM a drum corps fan. I think the better ideas and proven leadership will come from the top and I'm willing to go along with what is necessary to make the G7 healthy again in order to move the activity to a wider audience. I believe that it is absolutely necessary to repackage and expose the product to hundreds of thousands of new fans or else it will fade and vanish as we know and love it. That is why I'm willing to give the G7 plan or a version thereof a serious reading and try.

I don't really think all 6 were as involved as you think, but he wasn't alone in this.

Why are you guys engaging with this being ?? I guess its good for a laugh.

G

well you know who doesn't post here :thumbdown:

I think you don't have a clue as to what I am suggesting. If you had the time to review all my postings --I know, I know . . . take a week off from the day job; you would have a better understanding of what I think the G7 is hoping to do, for the good of the drum corps activity.

In a nutshell they are attempting to introduce a hybrid version of your favorite activity to hundreds of thousands of NEW fans --mostly located in major stadiums, and in major markets on weekends in an attempt to make more money for themselves to improve their financial health. The product that they will "build" will be more entertaining than the existing DCI product and it will contain elements of both tradition and also have a certain cutting edge that is yet to be determined. And who is included and what the final format looks like is not yet cast in concrete, so there is no "kicking out " or "ignoring" of anyone or choosing one audience over another because they are thought to be "scholastic". Are you hallucinating?

The proposal was first created to pinpoint an issue and float a possible solution for a growing and serious problem. But I guess it is only natural to have caused the "sky is falling contingent" to come running out of their chicken coops. The danger is real. G7 corps (and others) are not seeing the financial growth needed to sustain operating expenses and debt. And I'm sure you're right. G7 corps made mistakes in the past decades. And guess what? They know it! They want to right their wrongs. Would you prefer a public lynching? Nap time again. :thumbdown:

again it just shows what you don't know. the super shows are fluff to cover up the naked power and money grab

Been thinking about the G7 thing recently... Let the 7 go, combine the remaining World Class and Open Class corps, remove synths and electronics and let's have DRUM CORPS. Plenty of old time corps left like Boston, Madison, Spirit, Blue Stars, Troopers to mix in with the new guys. Over time, those corps will progress and raise there level of performance. I don't like the direction of the activity today anyway, so let them go.

Mr. Zing, let met reply to your comments out of order...

And who is included and what the final format looks like is not yet cast in concrete, so there is no "kicking out " or "ignoring" of anyone or choosing one audience over another because they are thought to be "scholastic". Are you hallucinating?

No, I've simply read the actual words of the G7 proposal, available in this very forum. I would suggest you read:

Slide 9 - List of the Tour of Champions corps

Slide 23 - "creating an audience, or building an audience is NOT something to be directed to the public. Rather –we are to go after band students, guard, dance, and other related arts and pageantry organizations."

Slides 54-55 - describing the format of a G7 event

The problem seems to be that you have created an imaginary entity in your head, let's call it the "Zing 7 Proposal". I have no idea what that proposal contains, but it doesn't appear to correspond to the G7 proposal that the rest of us have read. In fact, from your stated views on how to make drum corps entertaining and how to appeal to a mass audience, it sounds like you should be an opponent of the G7.

In many ways, it seems to me you should be taking your arguments to Mr. Hopkins and Mr. Gibbs. They are the ones who seem to lack the confidence of striking out on their own, designing a new product to appeal to a mass audience, and realizing financial success independent of DCI. That's why their proposal is all about redirecting DCI power and revenue to themselves, not about changing the product or growing the audience.

Edited by ShortAndFast

Been thinking about the G7 thing recently... Let the 7 go, combine the remaining World Class and Open Class corps, remove synths and electronics and let's have DRUM CORPS. Plenty of old time corps left like Boston, Madison, Spirit, Blue Stars, Troopers to mix in with the new guys. Over time, those corps will progress and raise there level of performance. I don't like the direction of the activity today anyway, so let them go.

I don't think they're going anywhere. But I never saw this brazen attempt at a power grab coming either, so who knows.

But if some or all of these G-7 decide to leave.... I'm fine with it too.

The cupboard will by no means be bare, just as you said.

With Corps like Boston Crusaders, Madison Scouts, Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Spirit, Glassmen, Troopers, Colts,....and who knows... one or two of the G-7 that decide not to go off ..... coupled with all the other up and coming Corps, it might be just what the doctored ordered in terms of new excitement in DCI competition too.

Edited by BRASSO

The danger is real. G7 corps (and others) are not seeing the financial growth needed to sustain operating expenses and debt.

The sky is falling!

And I'm sure you're right. G7 corps made mistakes in the past decades. And guess what? They know it! They want to right their wrongs.

By sacrificing the other corps to pay for their excesses?

The G7 are right about one thing...there is not enough financial growth to pay corps directors and staff full time salaries for a non-profit, youth activity. Those guys have done this to themselves. I'm sitting here watching 1991 finals. There is at least 40,000 people in the stands. Most corps getting a standing ovation before the end of their show. I'm liking those guys being gone more and more....