Some thoughts I have

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my Pats and hate the Colts and Ravens.

No big deal, everyone hates the Colts almost as much as the Cowboys.

I do appreciate the manner in which you poke the bear with a stick.

Sometimes it's just too much fun to pass up.

I'm curious at your need to say this. I don't think anyone has conceded that Cadets hornline is the best out there so that statement is moot to me.

I remember joking last summer that going to Cadets is the last place you want to go if you're after a Jim Ott :cool:

indeed it is, it's just my 17 yr old smart ### comin out in me.

Wow! Not sure why you started this thread and decided to approach it in the way you have, but here are my opinions:

1. Crown is good, not great, not this year (IMO). Brass is outstanding, no doubt. They do, however, roll around on the ground a lot, sit, lay, and pose for what seems to be an eternity. Visual is not in the same ballpark as Cadets. I liked their show better in 2008, and while I didn't care for their show last year, I did agree with them winning high brass.

2. The Cadets brass line is typically as good as any in the activity. The difference is that they often take too many risks with visual and overall demand. This hurts what they can achieve on the field. Sometimes they can clean, other times not as much. I love watching the energy.

3. The Blue Devils are the premier corps in the activity, period. I don't always care for their shows, and am somewhat luke warm on this year's rendition, but they set the standards musically on most years, and their guard has been masterful and rarely defeated over the years.

4. I agree with your assessment of the Cavaliers show except for one thing, they have some issues with their brass line to get cleaned up. Percussion as well, but that show is incredible.

As for my stance on things right now, I believe that either Cadets or Cavaliers will eventually make the greatest challenge to BD for the title. I see Crown and Bluecoats in the top 5, but likely not challenging for the title. Who knows though, I would love to see BLOOOOO shake things up and take it.

Finally, this whole Crown vs. Cadets thing has got to stop. Not every brass line has to sound the same. BD has their own unique sound and approach. So do Cadets, so do the Cavaliers, and BLOOOO, and Crown. It's nice to hear those unique qualities and to hear excellence in each. But keep in mind that each approach brings a good and bad side, or shall we say difficulties that come with the method. Listen to the Cadets play in a stand still and you will hear a brass line and drum line as good as any on most years. I have been following the activity since 1978 and aside from the Blue Devils there haven't been many brass lines that have been clearly better than the Cadets over the long haul. Star had their day, other corps win from time to time, but when you listen to Cadets in a stand still vs. others in the same setting you clearly hear what they are capable of. Most corps that march a visual program like the Cadets would have a difficult time cleaning and blending their brass perfectly. They [Cadets] seem to like the risk, and a lot of fans like watching them take the chances.

It's great fun!

Edited by jwillis35

Maybe it's me, but I don't see at all what all the hype is over the Cavies. I think its one of the cheesiest shows I have seen in years and after the first half, it's really goes nowhere.

They are loud, but IMO it's still a fairly immature sounding horn line and I don't see how in Hades they could possibly catch any above them right now. I feel like it's a rehash of Fight Club with sticks (rifles) and it just seems like they are trying way too hard to get people to cheer. Yes it's still ultra dirty and many think that being clean will move them up 2 or 3 spots, I just don't see it. But hey, I am probably wrong.. :cool:

I do think if Cadets clean-up, they have a chance to make it interesting and that BC and Crown are both top 2 threats again this year. I think Crown is still riding on last year's placement and while the hornline is still incredible, the overall show design and drum issues may hold them down this year. Bluecoats have a great total package and I think sneak into top 3 with a real run at the title next season with their current staff in place.

I still say until someone takes BD down, it's theirs to lose, love em or hate em...

PS: I hope I'm not breaking DCP etiquette by saying something negative about corps other than BD and Cadets... :ph34r:

Edited by trumpetcam

Maybe it's me, but I don't see at all what all the hype is over the Cavies. I think its one of the cheesiest shows I have seen in years and after the first half, it's really goes nowhere.

They are loud, but IMO it's still a fairly immature sounding horn line and I don't see how in Hades they could possibly catch any above them right now. I feel like it's a rehash of Fight Club with sticks (rifles) and it just seems like they are trying way too hard to get people to cheer. Yes it's still ultra dirty and many think that being clean will move them up 2 or 3 spots, I just don't see it. But hey, I am probably wrong.. :cool:

I do think if Cadets clean-up, they have a chance to make it interesting and that BC and Crown are both top 2 threats again this year. I think Crown is still riding on last year's placement and while the hornline is still incredible, the overall show design and drum issues may hold them down this year. Bluecoats have a great total package and I think sneak into top 3 with a real run at the title next season with their current staff in place.

I still say until someone takes BD down, it's theirs to lose, love em or hate em...

PS: I hope I'm not breaking DCP etiquette by saying something negative about corps other than BD and Cadets... :wall:

Then hate em it is! :ph34r::wall: haha..if that's my only choices I will lean towards the hate em this year.

One of my Directors said this one day at practice last year, "Come on guys! Try to sound like the Blue Devils, but with quality!" :worthy:

@jwillis35

Yeah for my line up of it all, I have Devs and Cavies duking it out for 1st, Maybe Crown in the top 3, I see HNC in 4th and Coats in 5th with SCV/PR fighting for 6th.