Special congratulations to Members and Staff of Forte D&BC!

It's been a long time since I've posted on these forums, but I just have to make a statement about this.

I have nothing to do with Forte or Memphis Sound and even I am offended by these smartass remarks towards an organization that, just like every other corps from Carolina Crown right down to the Blue Saints, is just trying to survive. Chris Green did everything and anything necessary to make this work, just like any other corps director would do. I've talked to him a couple of times and I have no doubt whatsoever that everything he does is for the benefit of the kids in his corps and any potential members in the future. To summarize my point, get off Forte's back and support them just like any other corps that deserves it (aka EVERY corps).

As for the kids and the scores, give them a break. Nobody claimed that they would come out with a 70 or higher, nor does anybody in Forte claim that they're better than anyone else. Despite its roots in the Memphis Sound, Forte is a brand new corps with a brand new organization in a brand new location, so ANY score this year is a good one!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a beef with the Memphis Sound organization, you should probably aim your remarks at the Memphis Sound board of directors.

Now that's thinkin', but remember its a lot easier to air grievances anonymously. I have a feeling gametimeon50 has some beef with Forte, which is why they feel the need to take shots at them.

As for forte I would like to say great job on your first show, its nice to see another group out there. (I was going to audition, but other things came up)

You're offended by smartass remarks? Lol. Did you march corps? Rub some dirt on it and get back out there, this isn't the AYSO.

The problem isn't with the kids or their performance. It's simply goofy and bando to post and brag about scores. That started the flame.

It's been a long time since I've posted on these forums, but I just have to make a statement about this.

I have nothing to do with Forte or Memphis Sound and even I am offended by these smartass remarks towards an organization that, just like every other corps from Carolina Crown right down to the Blue Saints, is just trying to survive. Chris Green did everything and anything necessary to make this work, just like any other corps director would do. I've talked to him a couple of times and I have no doubt whatsoever that everything he does is for the benefit of the kids in his corps and any potential members in the future. To summarize my point, get off Forte's back and support them just like any other corps that deserves it (aka EVERY corps).

As for the kids and the scores, give them a break. Nobody claimed that they would come out with a 70 or higher, nor does anybody in Forte claim that they're better than anyone else. Despite its roots in the Memphis Sound, Forte is a brand new corps with a brand new organization in a brand new location, so ANY score this year is a good one!

You're offended by smartass remarks? Lol. Did you march corps? Rub some dirt on it and get back out there, this isn't the AYSO.

The problem isn't with the kids or their performance. It's simply goofy and bando to post and brag about scores. That started the flame.

There's a big difference between being supportive of a corps for having a good start to their first season of competition, and bragging about scores.

Did you march corps? Because I really don't think that someone who had marched in a drum corps could be so classless and unsupportive of fellow drum corps.

I don't post often, but what the guy was trying to say in a misguided way, is it wasn't a new corps, it's Memphis Sound with a new name. So everyone saying, hey, great to see a corps out in it's first season are also misguided.

That being said, great to see the corps still on the field and out there marching. I miss when div2/3 quarters used to take a full 8 am til 10 pm day, not just the afternoon... So i'm glad to see corps survive and not fold.

Good luck Forte in your new home in Texas.

Forte is not Memphis Sound; that 'plan' was fortunately ditched a long time ago.

DCI, as misguided as they can sometimes be, would not allow a corps to simply change names and re-emerge to avoid their debts.

Forte is a new corps, under a new umbrella organization, that had to be approved by DCI - as a new corps.

As for being offended... the only offensive thing I have seen so far, is referring to Memphis Sound as Forte. Memphis had it's problems, obviously, but no other corps will ever be Memphis Sound.

Wow, my first post in over 2 years... time flies when you no longer have camps or tour to look forward to. :)

Yeah? That's cool. So there aren't any MS people running this corps?

Nothing against these guys... The open class hype thing has become so over done and old. It has become all about "hey, look how earnest and try-hard we are! Yay for us! Watch out cuz here we come!" followed by a fold and a reformation, followed by the stale hype machine, rinse and repeat.

It would be refreshing for a corps to come out and just do the job on the field without spin and have everyone buzzing about how awesome they are... Star '85 for instance.

Forte is not Memphis Sound; that 'plan' was fortunately ditched a long time ago.

DCI, as misguided as they can sometimes be, would not allow a corps to simply change names and re-emerge to avoid their debts.

Forte is a new corps, under a new umbrella organization, that had to be approved by DCI - as a new corps.

As for being offended... the only offensive thing I have seen so far, is referring to Memphis Sound as Forte. Memphis had it's problems, obviously, but no other corps will ever be Memphis Sound.

Wow, my first post in over 2 years... time flies when you no longer have camps or tour to look forward to. :)

Edited by acecannon

First off, congrats to Forte for joining the DCI ranks. I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you grow and improve.

Now on to my rant. Are some of you smoking crack? All the griping about how corps keep disappearing and how there are fewer and fewer every year, but when a new corps comes out we bash them? Second, like people have said, Forte and Memphis Sound are two separate organizations. Go to memphisdrumcorps.org and read the statement on the front page. The MYPAA is still in place and is currently looking to put a west Tennessee corps back in place, whether it be Memphis Sound or a DCA corps. Let's all be honest, we could see this coming with Memphis. I loved the corps, but the numbers were starting to drop and 08 and 09 were struggles to stay in the top 12 after blasting their way through Div. 3 and being the surprise of all of Div. II/III in 2007. I would love to see a Memphis corps back on the field, but not until the MYPAA feels they have the money, members, staff, and support to do so again. It's obvious that just up and moving the corps didn't happen, and that there is still an organization in Memphis separate from the one based in Texas. I don't know if any of you follow Forte on Facebook, but they had to be approved for competition by DCI. That usually happens for new or re-emerging corps, right? If it had to happen for any corps that just changed cities, then why didn't we hear of Spirit's evaluation when they moved back to Atlanta or Crossmen when they relocated to San Antonio? I could be wrong on the evaluation part since I'm just calling it how I've seen it.

Rant over. Aaaaaaaaaand breathe.

Congratulations Forte!! Great to see corps, open and world, are thriving in Texas. :laughing: