DCA's Weekend Off

I haven't marched since 2005, but I still feel like I should be getting on a bus when the weekend hits!

i was never much of a bus guy. i had a friend...al..........he had a twin engine 4 seat plane. if it was more then a 2 hour bus trip.............i flew. also later we started going at midnite..............i flew out in the morning and was in my own bed that night. i know i was a wuss. :tongue:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YAY, CHARLIE!!!! ... that's the competitive season I remember ... Memorial Day through Labor Day and sometimes beyond ... then the I&E winter circuit and then the Springtime stage shows ... ah yes ... 12 MONTHS OF DRUM CORPS!!!!

:-)

:tongue::cool:

It's fine that you were already asleep, but the main question is, "Were you still driving?"

LOL!!!

Brings to mind an old joke:

Two guys are talking about how they want to die, when that time comes.

One guy says...."I want to go peacefully, in my sleep, just like my grandfather. Not screaming and thrashing like the passengers in his car!!!!"

LOL!!!

Brings to mind an old joke:

Two guys are talking about how they want to die, when that time comes.

One guy says...."I want to go peacefully, in my sleep, just like my grandfather. Not screaming and thrashing like the passengers in his car!!!!"

Thats a good one.

Thats a good one.

It's also a very old one. But then again, it came from Fran. The first time he heard it, the passengers were in one of them new-fangled chariots.

The first time he heard it, the passengers were in one of them new-fangled chariots.

Correct.

Quite literally, a funny thing DID happen on the way to the Forum that night. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

Just out of sheer weekend habit, I got up and phoned my wife to tell her what time I thought I'd be home.

Her response?? "Hey Dummy!! You're in the next room!"

Some weekend habits die hard....

i was never much of a bus guy. i had a friend...al..........he had a twin engine 4 seat plane. if it was more then a 2 hour bus trip.............i flew. also later we started going at midnite..............i flew out in the morning and was in my own bed that night. i know i was a wuss. :worthy:

In '65 and '66 (just before your time Donnie) we used Joel Sussman - one of my fellow middle voice players... I believe it was a Cessna 160 and I got to go to several shows that way...

I remember coming home from Hawthorne's show in Clifton (Teterboro airport)... we had a beautiful flight until we got to Canandaigua and then everything went black... Assured by Joel that all was ok, we came in from the Southeast landing right over I-390... bumpy, but we made it to the airport... just as we were about to touch down - wind shear caught us and the plane went 90 degrees on its side with the wingtip barely touching the runway... Joel settled it back down and we landed...

At that point, I'm sitting there wondering - "was that close" "should I have been scared" "did we almost bag it?"

and the tower chimes in... "Holy Sh........t guy, that was a wonderful piece of flying.... congratulations"

at which point I start shaking and realize it really was a close call...

Around '75 Vince B. and I flew from Roch to Bradford PA in someones V-tailed Bonanza-beautiful flight. After practice, however, a winter storm was about to shut down all airports in the area when we decided to take off anyways. Roch. reported 0 visibility and bad icing, Buff, Batavia and Syracuse were shut down. We skidded into Roch. with stall warnings blasting and finally slid sideways to a stop. Can't remember who the pilot was but I'm sure he saved all our lives. Most memorable!

In '65 and '66 (just before your time Donnie) we used Joel Sussman - one of my fellow middle voice players... I believe it was a Cessna 160 and I got to go to several shows that way...

I remember coming home from Hawthorne's show in Clifton (Teterboro airport)... we had a beautiful flight until we got to Canandaigua and then everything went black... Assured by Joel that all was ok, we came in from the Southeast landing right over I-390... bumpy, but we made it to the airport... just as we were about to touch down - wind shear caught us and the plane went 90 degrees on its side with the wingtip barely touching the runway... Joel settled it back down and we landed...

At that point, I'm sitting there wondering - "was that close" "should I have been scared" "did we almost bag it?"

and the tower chimes in... "Holy Sh........t guy, that was a wonderful piece of flying.... congratulations"

at which point I start shaking and realize it really was a close call...

Back in 1986 during my flight training I had two wind shear landings. Fortunatly my instructor was with me at the time. Wind shear, as I remember It, is a change in wind speed and/or direction in a short space. Definition sounds pretty simple but....WOW.........!!!!!! That's why your hand is on the throttle all the time. Just sayin........