1995 all over Again

Yes, but not as well as it used to. The two corps that typically sleep the most in the activity are the blue devils and the cavaliers and they have won the following years in the last 20:

96 (tie with PR)

99 (tie with SCV)

2000 (tie with cadets)

O2

Notice the dominance the last decade especially. The shows now are so hard, that the students need the rest IMO to be able to consistently perform and improve on a daily basis.

where did the sleep time data come from?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you mean to tell me that the having the most time available to rehearse/sleep or whatever you want does not give you a competitive advantage? also how often do BD/Cavies/Cadets get to stay at the show site? I am not saying it is the reason they win, but it is an advantage over corps who leave a show site at the same time, travel further than the top corps and have to leave for the show earlier.

335ginb.jpg

now thats awesomeness

Notice the dominance the last decade especially. The shows now are so hard, that the students need the rest IMO to be able to consistently perform and improve on a daily basis.

That fails to point out that Cadets had terrible designs in 1991, possibly 1999 (though I thought it was a great show), 2004, 2006, and 2008. They could've slept 12 hours a night and weren't going to win with those shows. There's no denying that Cavies and BD have been dominant the last decade, but that also happened to coincide with three duds on behalf of Cadets.

Plenty of medical and educational research would suggest that (sleep) would be a real big part of the solution.

Sleep is a big factor but so is nutrition. The Cavalier medical staff monitors calorie intake. That food truck is a major contributor to their success. The one day I volunteered, they ate as much hamburger, steak and chicken that they could pound down. They had a cart with Gatorade coolers in a rainbow of flavors. Despite the fact that they get about 3000 calories a day, a friend's son lost 30 pounds this summer. Dad says he in the best physical shape he's ever seen.

That fails to point out that Cadets had terrible designs in 1991, possibly 1999 (though I thought it was a great show), 2004, 2006, and 2008. They could've slept 12 hours a night and weren't going to win with those shows. There's no denying that Cavies and BD have been dominant the last decade, but that also happened to coincide with three duds on behalf of Cadets.

Not to mention the fact that Cadets could've easily taken 2000 outright (probably should have!), and I'd give them the edge in 92 as well.

Which, if the coin had flipped that way, would paint a very different picture.

Just sayin. :smile:

you mean to tell me that the having the most time available to rehearse/sleep or whatever you want does not give you a competitive advantage? also how often do BD/Cavies/Cadets get to stay at the show site? I am not saying it is the reason they win, but it is an advantage over corps who leave a show site at the same time, travel further than the top corps and have to leave for the show earlier.

Of course all of those things matter. I am just saying that being rested does factor into how much info you can retain and how well you perform.