One show from each decade that molded the direction of DCI

couldnt we put Phantom '08 in this discussion? The character driven/story arch model has not yet seen its end.

It's probably a bit too early to see the real impact of this show, or if there were really be one. One would hope that as a result, crowd effect and entertainment factor would begin to play a larger role on the sheets, but it's been almost two years and it doesn't look as if this has had any real impact to this point.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shows that MOLDED the direction of the activity from each decade:

The way I see it, more than one show really molded each decade. Certainly we can pick one show from each, as the OP asks for, so I will list the Decades with one show, then each with 3 shows.

1970s - Santa Clara Vanguard 1974

1980s - Garfield Cadets 1983

1990s - Star of Indiana 1993

2000-2009 - Cavaliers 2002

Now, if I took 3 shows from each, then it would look this way:

1970s

SCV 1974 - Set the bar for use of field percussion, staging, and musical arrangement and performance

Anaheim Kingsmen 1974 - they won in 1972, but I always hear people like Marc Sylvester, Jeff Fiedler, and others speak of how this show affected them

Blue Devils 1979 - Although it was a little too late to MOLD the 70s, the show's impact was bigger, IMO, than 76 or 77. They opened the door for the publishers with their wide open jazz sound, arrangements that bands wanted, and the use of soloists to a greater degree than we had seen before

1980s

Garfield Cadets 1983 - Obvious choice. Zingali, Hannum, and Prime were re-defining the activity, it's look and feel, and what we could expect

Suncoast Sound 1984 - A show that changed the way corps looked at staging, themes, delivery of that theme, and how a guard could be used within this context

Santa Clara Vanguard 1988 - Yes, they used props and story lines in 1986 and 1987, and their 1985 show was stunning; but in 1988 they delivered Broadway for the first time in a manner that we had not seen. This was the blueprint for a theatrical show, and maybe still is

1990s

Star of Indiana 1993 - a great show, very advanced and artistic, but what was ultimately copied a WHOLE lot was body movement and the conceptual ideas used by their guard. Sometimes corps have attempted to copy that style of musical delivery (Cadets 2005, SCV 2010), but for the most part corps have steered clear of the musical ideas. But body movement has been copied by ALL

Blue Devils 1994 - This show was truly the musical impetus of what we hear today. Some might say Cadets 1993. Close, but BD initiated the next greatest musical influence that is still very common today. Some people like it, some don't, but it's influence is undeniable.

Madison Scouts 1995 - Why is this on the list? Because they were so entertaining that year, so amazing, so exciting, and yet they finished 4th. I think a lot of corps took a look at what Madison did and said "if they couldn't win with that one, then what's it going to take?" And because of that I believe designers steered clear of what Madison was trying. It's why that style remains so unique to this very day, and it's why we all want Madison back in the hunt. Sometimes it's not what a show does, but what it doesn't do that causes change to the activity. In this case it was a "too bad" kind of change that affected the activity.

2000s

Cavaliers 2002 - clearly the new visual revolution was in the works with their 90s shows, but it's the 2002 show that HITS us in the face like a sledgehammer.

Blue Devils 2003 to now - Why? They have proven that you don't always have to be revolutionary or innovative, but what counts most is PERFORMANCE and a good balance of old and new woven together in an artistic way. Other corps are taking note, but BD finds where those Box 5 levels are without going overboard, and they do it while crafting a show that is logical, that is connected, that incorporates new and old elements, and that the first and foremost expectation is for its members to march and play to an exceptional level. They achieve it, and corps are realizing that you don't need to overdo to the demand, but you need the right kind of demand coupled with the ability to actually clean and perfect.

It's probably a bit too early to see the real impact of this show, or if there were really be one. One would hope that as a result, crowd effect and entertainment factor would begin to play a larger role on the sheets, but it's been almost two years and it doesn't look as if this has had any real impact to this point.

I can't prove this, but I think it might have had somewhat of an effect already. Cadets and Cavaliers I think are trying to entertain the audience more this year than they have in quite sometime.

76 Blue Devils

84 Garfield

94 Blue Devils

02 Cavies

10 Blue Devils

This

I can't prove this, but I think it might have had somewhat of an effect already. Cadets and Cavaliers I think are trying to entertain the audience more this year than they have in quite sometime.

You're probably right there... but until we see something added to the judging sheets that supports this, I think it will fade quickly. Then again there might have already been something added to the sheets, I don't know.

1988 Suncoast Sound, if I had another choice......

Their show is without a doubt, the birth of todays colorguard......dont think so ? Just take a look at 1989 Cadets high guard peformance....the rifle staging, the equipment work, the flagline responsibilities, and the story telling..all began with 1988 Suncoast Sound.

Before 1988 Suncoast, guards did not use agression as one of their techniques..you could say "not true" and point to Cavalier and Scout colorguards but their design, while absolutley relentless in their presentation, still had deep roots in traditional grips, release, and presentation..it was not until 1988 Suncoast arrived that colorguard was viewed in a more different way as to contribute more to the entire mood of the show.

Go watch it and see that it can hold its own with todays top guards..especially the rfiles in the "drum solo" ....since 88, like I previously mentioned ,guard totlally changed their approach and design.

G

I won't disagree, BUT...would the Cadets have even considered writing that kind of drill if SCV hadn't done it a few years earlier?

Yes Zingali didn't need SCV he was already flexing his style at Revere