One show from each decade that molded the direction of DCI

I'm with you, G. This is one thing I noticed on the videos from '83 to '84. The drill for everyone CHANGED and it was noticeable. The velocity increased as well. That was the year in the '80s that changed everything. :smile:

Ugh- The DVDs/tapes for those two years had the worst camera editing ever! The amount of time spent viewing the show through the underside of a piece of pit equipment is ridiculous!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw you were replying, and I wondered what your opinion would be. I was thinking along those same lines, that the 1980 27th Lancers were more innovative than SCV, which featured a Zingali drill all the way.

Not that my dumb opinion matters, but:

1976 Blue Devils - their style of REPEATING their best tune year after year was copied by all of that era.

1983 and 1984 -Garfield Cadets - I had to include both, because it was the FIRST TIME EVER a championship corps had thrown out their ENTIRE repertoire from the year before and did an all-new show, and the all-new show won. EVERY CORPS to this day follows that "all new show every year" style.

1990's: Star of Indiana - their style and the concept of TAKING CHANCES is still seen in every winning corps today.

2000's - Cavaliers 2002. For the first time ever DRILL replaced music as the key to winning a championship

I agree that Cavaliers 02 was the game-changer that decade, but I guess I feel a bit differently about the musical contribution...

That wasn't a year music didn't matter. That was a year we saw a corps experimenting with and teasing new textures of their sound, and making the audience rethink what a DCI hornline could sound like. (It was also the year the Cavs proved they had a hornline :smile:)

Music was very, very important. (And, of course, visual was, too.)

Edited by saxfreq1128

No disrespect to BD 2010, but isn't it a tad hard to measure their influence on the current decade when we've just started it?!!?

No disrespect to BD 2010, but isn't it a tad hard to measure their influence on the current decade when we've just started it?!!?

(I was just thinking that.)

76 BD

84 Cadets

94 BD

02 Cavaliers

10 BD

Almost same list, replace Cavies with 2008 Phantom (How the crowd and the emotion of the night helped will the corps to a championship). 88 Madison falls into contention, but nowhere close to what Garfield 84 brought to the activity as a whole.

1976 Blue Devils - set a new standard for power and precision.

1983 Garfield Cadets - introduced a new level of abstraction and artistry

1993 Star of Indiana - introduced full corps modern dance movements

2002 Cavaliers - first completely integrated visual/musical design

1999 Boston Crusaders, who would hsve thought! and thank you, I all ready have a flat stomach after 35 years!

It is not true that before '76 we only did lines, echelons and files. This is such a misconception that it drives me CRAZY!! There were lots of arcs, circles and asymetrical sets years before '76. Check out SCV at Whitewater '73 for example (you know where).

The big change for the 70s was '73 SCV because for the first time "Color Pre" was eliminated and YPG (two tempo) set the tone for thinking outside the box instead of having the usual OTL, drum break, Color pre, into concert, concert, out of concert, (big breath) drum break, ballad and exit. IMHO of course :grouphug: .

I believe she is right. The first time I saw a "modern" drum corps was SCV in Ann Arbor in 1974 where they filmed much of the McCormick's marching percussion video. However if you look back and see the evolution (as I have done) from 1970, 1971, 1972, and then the 1973 Vanguard. It is a night and day difference in sound, marching, style of show, etc. I think the 70's revolution belongs to SCV.

Blue Devils were inspired by Vanguard and did a similar style show, only with jazz music.

Many of these performances are on You Tube and you should look at them.

Edited by pianolover1

Almost same list, replace Cavies with 2008 Phantom (How the crowd and the emotion of the night helped will the corps to a championship). 88 Madison falls into contention, but nowhere close to what Garfield 84 brought to the activity as a whole.

How exactly is 2008 Phantom ground-breaking or activity changing?