Explain the Stories Behind These 2010 Shows

Cadets - Toy Souldier

Carolina Crown - A S3con4 Chance

Cavaliers - Mad World

Bluecoats - Metropolis

I challenge any of you to build, from start to finish, a cogent narrative of what exactly is being portrayed by the "characters" and members on the field.

Go!

Note: inside information is cheating.

This question posed by the OP seems quite clear to me. They're asking for us to describe a NARRATIVE, i.e., a STORY, with a character or characters going through a beginning, middle, and end. A THEME is a unifying thought or message, something that the STORY is ABOUT. IMHO, there's so much confusion every year here about this topic...

Non-drum corps example: Romeo & Juliet fall in love against their parent's wishes, folks give them a hard time, they die, everyone is sad, The End = STORY

Young, forbidden, doomed love = one of many possible THEMES that are found in the STORY

DCI Example: Romans enslave Spartacus & pals, Spartacus falls in love, lover is killed, Spartacus rebels and is killed, Co-Emperor Drum Major spears his colleague, everyone cheers = STORY

THEME = Fight the power, true love conquers all, karma is a biyatch, etc.

This being drum corps, you CAN certainly have shows with THEMES and not STORIES. In fact, I feel like the majority tend to fall in this category. Bluecoats this year might be one example. (THEME = "The Future is Now") You can even have shows with neither. It would be called "Hey, here's some great music & drill. Please enjoy." But as soon as you throw on a name to your show, you have audiences interpreting this as some conglomeration of theme and/or story, a unifying thought to give coherence to the whole...or justification to their selections.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why only these shows?

Why not challenge on BD, SCV, etc...?

Because unless you come on in a praising manor to the Blue Devils, you will be attacked mercilessly for EVER..... :grouphug::grouphug:

Why only these shows?

Why not challenge on BD, SCV, etc...?

Haven't seen SCV so I can't really comment. BD's show seems to be pretty much "f***ing mirrors, how do they work?" and nothing more. Again, though, I haven't seen their show live, so I can't really comment.

TTRKo.jpg

LOL!

It's really drafty inside Praising Manor. And I hate having to do the windows....

Haven't seen SCV so I can't really comment. BD's show seems to be pretty much "f***ing mirrors, how do they work?" and nothing more. Again, though, I haven't seen their show live, so I can't really comment.

LOVE IT haha

Still waiting for that magnet show.......it would be so innovative!

/sarcasm