Do you like SCV 2010

Yes or No question  

179 members have voted

1. 1. do you like SCV 2010

• Yes
    • No

I completely disagree. A significant majority of auditionees for the top corps are college music majors. When I was in music school, what was the one drum corps show that everyone would talk about like it was a gift from God?...... Star 93. I don't know how many music major-drum corps fans I have talked with that said they would give anything to have marched that show. So why do you think these same people would be turned off by what SCV is doing this year? In my opinion, (and I know this is shared by many other music majors), the show that SCV has programmed this summer is much hipper than almost every other show. For a young enthusiastic musician learning the academic side of classical music, what would be better to perform night in and night out than Bartok?

I have to say, I do agree with you here. I think for college music majors, their new approach and repertoires would be attractive.

Mike

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a music major, and I've been out of college for awhile. I love everything about the show except for the ending.

Poulan's arrangement is gorgeous. He stayed faithful to the original piece every bit as much as he did with App Spring last year.

SCV 2010 also has the most musical drill I've ever seen. I've never seen drill match extended phrases of music as well as SCV is doing with Bartok. The drill just morphs and evolves and matches every tiny nuance of the music for a few minutes at a time over the course of the whole show. It's staggering to me.

I wonder if the gseven are in cahoots with the judges? I hope this was polite enough, cause the way I really feel or want to say this would be pulled like alot of things I have posted. Sorry to say this but if your name was not SCV you all would not be scoring the way you are. IMO. Closer to Blue Knights than Blue Devils IMO. Keep working maybe you all wont get caught by the Blue Stars. GO BLUE STARS!

"Yeah no offense, but I think the only reason you succeed is because of a giant conspiracy. You don't deserve your success."

Classy

No. It bores me to tears to watch. I would just buy the audio, but it's so chopped up that I'm not sure I could wade through all the "quirky" moments to get to the parts I like listening to.

I listened to the music during the off season but wasn't excited, especially after Ballet for Martha. Last year's show was my favorite "modern" drum corps show. My first viewing on the Fan Network left me a bit flat; however, after seeing the show in Ogden, I was hooked (except for the ending). It will be good to see the changes live at Monday and Tuesday's shows in Ohio.

I am "old" and still like the shows that do not rely on props. Their drill utilizes the field, goes beyond the "into a box and out of a box" design, and flows smoothly while integrating subtle visual effects--it keeps me interested but not overwhelmed. Another aspect of the show that appeals to me is the "haunting" melody that repeats at a couple of points. The music incorporates different tempos and volumes throughout the show. It really does take skill to play both loudly and softly at a variety of marching speeds.

The one thing I cannot stand is the "piano" playing the "oom-pas". (Let the tubas have the spotlight by playing that part.) As a matter of fact, I do not like the sound of any amped instruments. Amped pit instruments seem to overpower the rest of the ensemble too much of the time. The pit used to add subtle sounds that added to what the brass and field battery were playing. (After all, this is a DRUM & BUGLE corps, right?)

RANT ON How entertaining or audience friendly the show is depends entirely on each person's personal preferences. Those of us over 40 or 50 have seen the evolution of drum corps as it morphed from strictly a marching & maneuvering activity where nothing could touch the ground (except the timpani during the ballad) to a focus on theatrics and props (a door, pink tables, tables and sewing machines, PVC pipe, chairs, mirrors, boxing speed bags, etc). Some of the changes in the activity have been good (pit), but some have taken away from the uniqueness of the genre (amps and theatrics). I liked and miss the shows from the 70's where a corps may have played four or five seemingly unrelated songs, but the music was familiar (Madison '75) and entertaining without the fuss of telling a story. The corps had signature pieces or moves that established an identity for them. Sadly, that type of brand recognition is dying away from the activity. I appreciate the fact that the Vanguard of 2010 looks similar to the Vanguard of 1974 when I first saw the corps. I only hope that the "powers that be" stop trying to change the activity before it ceases to be a unique form of entertainment. RANT OFF But then again, these are my personal opinions based on my personal likes and dislikes.

My kid ages out this year after 7 seasons in the activity. I've finally gotten beyond my frustration with the "S" word (slotting) and accepted that the judging is what it is and beyond any of the fans' control. There have been many shows in the past 7 years that I liked better than the winning show on finals night. Although the tic system seemed to provide for more competition and chances for lead changes during the season, it wasn't perfect either. Wherever Bartok finished on Finals night, I will still love this show.

No.

There are a few cool things here and there but overall the show is VERY boring. I almost stopped watching it on FN half way through. Maybe once I see it live (finals) I might enjoy it more.

I'm not a music major, and I've been out of college for awhile. I love everything about the show except for the ending.

Poulan's arrangement is gorgeous. He stayed faithful to the original piece every bit as much as he did with App Spring last year.

SCV 2010 also has the most musical drill I've ever seen. I've never seen drill match extended phrases of music as well as SCV is doing with Bartok. The drill just morphs and evolves and matches every tiny nuance of the music for a few minutes at a time over the course of the whole show. It's staggering to me.

Nicely put.

It seems to come down to that if you respond to Bartok's music (most don't) (I very much do), then chances are you'll love the show, unless you're looking for a more "drum corpsy" experience. It's also a show that requires familiarity - there's a LOT going on that gets missed the first few times. For most, that's a bad thing. For the sicker minority of us, it's wonderful.

It strikes me as a real departure from what I've come to expect from a DCI show, as did Martha last year. MUCH love for all the corps, all the shows - top to bottom, but this rendition of Bartok is special.

Gushy enough for ya?

Nicely put.

It seems to come down to that if you respond to Bartok's music (most don't) (I very much do), then chances are you'll love the show, unless you're looking for a more "drum corpsy" experience. It's also a show that requires familiarity - there's a LOT going on that gets missed the first few times. For most, that's a bad thing. For the sicker minority of us, it's wonderful.

It strikes me as a real departure from what I've come to expect from a DCI show, as did Martha last year. MUCH love for all the corps, all the shows - top to bottom, but this rendition of Bartok is special.

Gushy enough for ya?

Well put yourself.

I totally understand what people who don't care for it are saying, though. If I weren't such a nut for the piece they're playing, my perspective might be different. As a fan of the piece, though, what SCV did to it is better than I could ever have hoped for....now if they can just get a different ending together....

Well put yourself.

I totally understand what people who don't care for it are saying, though. If I weren't such a nut for the piece they're playing, my perspective might be different. As a fan of the piece, though, what SCV did to it is better than I could ever have hoped for....now if they can just get a different ending together....

Right - the ending is crucial. They hit a home run in the bottom of the ninth last year - even my SCV-hating buddies were all wowed up when the plates levitated "Martha". Here's hoping they can do likewise this year!