Tonight I felt like an old timer!

Next time just say overlapping. You'll confuse too many people by using a good vocabulary. :blink:

Well, since "imbricated", which is sometimes misused, means "overlapping or layered as scales or shingles", perhaps we can think of tradition and innovation forming a roof to protect the future growth of drum corps.

Yeah. Or of tradition and innovation as layers that keep layering and moving toward the future of drum corps, with each layer being equally important.

Also, someone's going to have to get more specific about what the WGI-ification of DCI as a whole actually looks like / entails. Can anyone name specific moments? I'm pretty familiar with recent WGI, and am not entirely sure I understand what's at stake in that analogy. Indoor percussion and BOA influences, I can see.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we always seem to go back to the 70s YOU CANT compare then and now with anything BUT Im learning this is the wrong place to debate that. Shows were like 2 dollars back then and even though pay scales were different from now today expenses far exceed some peoples salaries. I too come from that 70s / 80s era but would never compare now to then. But with anything its my opinion and dont speak for anyone.

The town I grew up in had more than 1 drum corps and people even if they had no one in a corps would come out for the local show just for a night out. YOU WONT see that happen now. WHY? because it's a different time for many many many reasons and that has nothing to do with shows or designs but EVERYTHING to do with the world as it is today.

JMO

Unfortunately, you completely misunderstood what I said. I replied to a poster ( "Jeff Ream" )that he was correct that the national audience for Drum Corps GREW in the 70's despite the bad economy. I took no position at all on this thread comparing one era's " shows or designs " with another era's " shows and designs ". However, I did respond on another thread today by a poster (" Tom Brace" ) that stated that the reason he believes that there are LESS fans in attendance these days is due to " the bad economy ".

Edited by BRASSO

please delineate further....which sports? What other entertainment?

I'd like you to tout the Las Vegas hotel vacancies for instance.

I DO KNOW. The economy sucks and people have and will change their spending habits.

and if a product has bored them more and more, that product is LESS likely to get their money.

Unfortunately, you completely misunderstood what I said. I replied to a poster ( "Jeff Ream" )that he was correct that the national audience for Drum Corps GREW in the 70's despite the bad economy. I took no position at all on this thread comparing one era's " shows or designs " with another era's " shows and designs ". However, I did respond on another thread today by a poster (" Tom Brace" ) that stated that the reason he believes that there are LESS fans in attendance these days is due to " the bad economy ".

Link to further info

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=2865693

Im sorry then I should have responded to Tom brace agreeing with what he said. Thes threads all run together sometimes..lol..sorry

Could you at least offer your opinion on his observations before bidding him farewell?

I don't think they are interested in that. This is the typical answer you get when you express dissatifaction about anything DCI related. It's the standard "if you don't like it, bye."