When are corps going to come back to their roots?

Finally, something we agree on. I'm sure that you are a nice, highly opinionated, person. I really don't like to argue much but I am definitely passionate about drum corps. I'm one of the older dinos around, marched with G Bugles before rotors and have been a fan all of my life.

One of the proudest days of my life was when my 14 year old son told me he wanted to march drum corps. It was tough finding a corps that would take an 8th grader with no experience. He didn't want to march Open Class and, quite frankly, from where we live Open Class would have been as, or more, expensive for us than World Class. Pioneer took him and he is now marching his second year with them and absolutely having the time of his life. So, you see, it is also a little personal for me as well.

We'll be in Indianapolis for Quarterfinals. Maybe we'll see you there.

Because of work commitments, I am only able to fly in for Friday and Saturday. Stick around for Open Class finals....trust me...it will be a treat. Wide open stadium, best seats in the house and 12 great drum corps.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So then back to the discussion of "roots", for over 40 years, drum corps hasn't needed amplification, electronics, synths, mics, sound mixers, etc. Can we simply eliminate them without discussion because they are not mandated or necessary?

The longer these debates go on, the more I realize that DCI is truly "no country for old men." It's not that I'm old (26 is hardly dinosaur age) but the drum corps activity I grew up with has gone the way of the dodo. Nothing against the current incarnation, (they're amazing at what they do), but I'll never truly enjoy it as much as I used to because it's not what I fell in love with. Those that came before me probably feel the same way about the activity I grew up with.

Someone else said it best: this thing is constantly evolving and it is really only there to serve those currently doing it. 10-15 years from now, the kids that are marching this year will probably be up in arms over whatever "artistic" evolution the activity takes next. One day these kids will be old and they'll be called "dinosaurs" too.

But trust me on the sunscreen, lol...

Nothing is mandated. Like a blank canvas. I am just NOT a fan of religious or patriotic shows unless they are done with a "slant." You know, something new and fresh. Like Jersey Surf's offering this year, most are pedantic drivel.

Sure it happens today, but not nearly to the degree that it used to. At one time Drum Coprs didn't have to rely near as much on the high schools for recruitment.

There are tons of discussions on this point. It comes down to this...high school bands are doing as good a job pretty much as well as many open class corps...or better in some cases.

So, the need for Open Class corps as recruitment vehicles diminishes except for 3 orgs who still maintain a Cadet corps.

What he said. My whole problem with all the changes is simply that. We're taking one activity (drum corps) that was already similar to another activity (marching band) and stripping it of anything and everything that makes it unique. I still (after all these changes) can't understand why we have to change one thing to the other. If you want to compete in World Class marching bands, create a circuit and do that. I wanted to continue watching drum corps perform uniquely designed field shows, completely acoustic, with their zany G bugles. There used to be a circuit just for that. But the powers that be decided to take that all away in the interest of somebody, (I'm not sure who), since a good portion of the fan base (the part with disposable income) seems opposed to many of the changes, and the DCI survey indicated that even the marching members liked having an activity different from the marching band already available to them.

see....here we go again.

NOTHING IS MANDATED.

Corps can be what they want to be. Things used to be mandated...but not now.

So, the Blue Devils could choose to:

Not use mics, amps, Bb horns.

They could march the mallets and have a flag presentation in the middle of their show. They could do a high mark time and two company fronts. They could wear spats.

They could choose to do all those things.

The olde drum corps was restrictive. There were tons of rules and negative connotations (ticks) for not adhering to those rules.

Now, there are fewer rules and more choices.

That's it.

Waiting about the competitive price argument. Here it comes....it will probably include a judge, a tape, a Milwaukee corps and a comment on their G bugles...wanna bet?

Do you ever get bothered by the way the corps do things, because the judges say: "It should be done this way"

EXAMPLE: For the last 15 years or so, ALL CORPS changed their uniforms because, the uniform should enhance where the sound is coming from. So ALL THE CORPS changed their style and history because of a few judges..

EXAMPLE: You cant wear spats, you cant wear white shoes, it will expose the marching errors, and detract from where the sounds come from!

EXAMPLE: You cant do any sensational marching effects during the show, because it has to "flow with the music. it has to enhance each phrase."

EXAMPLE: Why is there a Color pre in the middle of your show? etc....

DRUM CORPS HAVE COME A LONG WAY for the POSITIVE!...But when i watch MADISON SCOUTS, and hear their traditional music, i miss seeing their spats!

When i see SANTA CLARA VANGUARD, I miss seeing their full red jackets, that go down past their waist, plus their white shoes.

When i see TROOPERS, i miss seeing their Traditional Trooper uniform. Their Uniforms must enhance their show. If they were Trooper uniforms it wont go with the music!

NONSENSE TO ALL THIS!

JUST DO IT, BECAUSE IT IS DRUM CORPS,and SCREW ALL THE JUDGES and the UNIFORM COMPANIES that want to make a BUCK!

Try Never

see....here we go again.

NOTHING IS MANDATED.

Corps can be what they want to be. Things used to be mandated...but not now.

So, the Blue Devils could choose to:

Not use mics, amps, Bb horns.

They could march the mallets and have a flag presentation in the middle of their show. They could do a high mark time and two company fronts. They could wear spats.

They could choose to do all those things.

The olde drum corps was restrictive. There were tons of rules and negative connotations (ticks) for not adhering to those rules.

Now, there are fewer rules and more choices.

That's it.

Waiting about the competitive price argument. Here it comes....it will probably include a judge, a tape, a Milwaukee corps and a comment on their G bugles...wanna bet?

You are absolutely correct. Look at Madison this year -- pretty retro and a whale of a show. Don't think I would like to see the tick system come backbut would like to see more clarification on GE and a couple of other categories. I remember standing inspections- it wasn't fun.

Got you Tom.

Your ideas would end drum corps for all of us and speaking for the "we," WE DON'T WANT THAT.

Some of the changes in the past ten years ended drum corps for a lot of "US"....... who hate some of the changes !!! :lookaround:

Edited by Walter

Went to my one and only show of the 2010 season last night in rome ny. I was looking forward to seeing the scouts, vanguard, cavies. I was sadly disappointed. I came into drum corps in 1963. I have followed these corps, competed against these corps and a lot of others over the years and watched them all go through their glory years to create the traditions they live on today. But, without wasting a lot of your time and space here, WHAT WAS THAT? Breaking news: we’re witnessing the end of drum corps. It’s over. The activity has definitely moved to a new level. Its main purpose today is to serve as a summer touring camp for band. And to add insult to injury the rumor mill is prophesizing woodwinds are coming next. I’d pay $26 to see the bayonne bridgemen alone, but I wont pay a dime to see the likes of what I saw last night again.

Went to my one and only show of the 2010 season last night in rome ny. I was looking forward to seeing the scouts, vanguard, cavies. I was sadly disappointed. I came into drum corps in 1963. I have followed these corps, competed against these corps and a lot of others over the years and watched them all go through their glory years to create the traditions they live on today. But, without wasting a lot of your time and space here, WHAT WAS THAT? Breaking news: we’re witnessing the end of drum corps. It’s over. The activity has definitely moved to a new level. Its main purpose today is to serve as a summer touring camp for band. And to add insult to injury the rumor mill is prophesizing woodwinds are coming next. I’d pay $26 to see the bayonne bridgemen alone, but I wont pay a dime to see the likes of what I saw last night again.

Okay. Bye.

Okay. Bye.

I thought we've been through this. Some thoughts are better kept to ourselves. Such as your post. Was it necessary?