After talking to the judges last night...

wow and this is the over defensive stance that seems like picking a fight when someone makes a reasonable comment. That poster was showing empathy to what the kids may be feeling, and to the way the post was written it seems that he/she was there. There was no malice or anything negative thrown at BD here.

I think his post was more of a frustrated rant, as it gets tiring reading the same garbage that pops up in the majority of threads of threads in the World Class forum. Frequently posters do exactly what GMichael1230 does, replacing "I personally do not like that show design" with "nearly everyone dislikes their show design," or "I can't believe Blue Devils are winning so convincingly because their show is dumb." It's natural that having to sift through the same asinine posts ALL OF THE TIME grates on nerves.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say this looking at the Atlanta recap...people judged their sheet and let the chips fall where they may. people all over the place, not slotted up the line as they went on. very refreshing to see

Garry,

big difference between how you approach your thoughts and opinions and tho others that are labeted "haters" ...using that word doesnt mean that applies to everyone or anyone that is critical of the Blue Devils..heck, I have/had issues with them in the past, am I a hater ??

Those that fall under the criteria, know who they are, those that dont...well, its quite obvious to see.

G

I would think in your eyes, I'm not a hater...but I have been called one

Being an advocate of good mental health I always support these therapy threads where the lost and depressed over the uncontrollable can come to seek comradeship and "share". Now first off, I'm NOT a professional, so I would suggest seeking out additional clarity outside of DCP.

Now let's go back to your previous post:

"I'm certain the BD members feel a little disappointed (of course they won't ever say that in public) when they get "less than enthusiastic" response to their efforts, which is of course really not directed at THEM but at the show DESIGN and scoring criteria...." OK, I've spent the last 3 days with BD and I can assure you that the only thing they "see" is the performance of their show to perfection (like... 100 pts perfection). If you approached them with that ridiculous statement you would be met with :lol:

The fact is that last night (in the lot in Atlanta) before they began their warm-ups Brian (DM) got them all around and said to them that "they were in the throws of something very historic (musically and visually) for drum corps." Disappointed???? You've got to be kidding. They don't understand negative..it's not in their language. They see cheering crowds all over the country, admiring fans that flock to their clinics and practices and understand how they positively influence young people all over the world because of their organization's dedication to excellence. So....in answer to your statement...you are sadly mistaken. And I emphasize sadly.

Next quote of yours: "Even if/when they win, they will have to carry that feeling with them whenever they look at their shiny DCI rings."

You gave yourself away with one little word...."shiny"...in addition to sounding creepy and a little too much like Gollum here, you are pathetically attempting to superimpose some psychological parasite, that you may have encountered. Snakes, lots of snakes here, a veritable serpentarium!

Enjoy good drum and quit trying to fix BD or get into their heads.... my guess is their personal crisis of being undefeated for 2 years and dominating the activity will pass. :worthy:

As far as your little pop quiz is concerned..there are folks on DCP (many of whom do not particularly like BD's show this year) that can answer you chapter and verse. I personally hope they don't waste their skills answering one so filled with angst. You really need to find something else to do with your time, because this activity is not doing you any favors.

Finally, I'll leave you with my credo: If you aren't willing to say your post directly (face to face) to the kids (of any corps) on the field...then shut the #### up!

one BIG question for you:

if the kids don't write the show, why the #### should we say it to them?

I will say this looking at the Atlanta recap...people judged their sheet and let the chips fall where they may. people all over the place, not slotted up the line as they went on. very refreshing to see

That's true, and I think this reason is why it will be even more difficult for someone to overtake Blue Devils. Every other corps seems to have a substantial deficit in one caption or another, and that alone will potentially kill the chases of a corps sneaking up and wining the Championship.

From Atlanta:

* 2nd place Bluecoats were 4th in Music Ensemble

* 3rd place Cavaliers were 5th in Music Ensemble, 4th in percussion and 5th on one judge's GE Music sheet (w/7th in performance sub-caption)

* 4th place Crown 6th over all in Music

That are all VERY difficult to overcome. If you're second overall and you need to make up almost a full point in just Vis Performance alone, you're in a pretty big hole (especially when the first place corps is 1st in nearly every caption by a convincing margin).

Finally, I'll leave you with my credo: If you aren't willing to say your post directly (face to face) to the kids (of any corps) on the field...then shut the #### up!

so now you are encouraging boo-ing of something you don't like? that would be saying it to the kids, which you have now posted is a good thing.

previously you have said that you shouldn't give any negative feedback to the kids.

That's true, and I think this reason is why it will be even more difficult for someone to overtake Blue Devils. Every other corps seems to have a substantial deficit in one caption or another, and that alone will potentially kill the chases of a corps sneaking up and wining the Championship.

From Atlanta:

* 2nd place Bluecoats were 4th in Music Ensemble

* 3rd place Cavaliers were 5th in Music Ensemble, 4th in percussion and 5th on one judge's GE Music sheet (w/7th in performance sub-caption)

* 4th place Crown 6th over all in Music

That are all VERY difficult to overcome. If you're second overall and you need to make up almost a full point in just Vis Performance alone, you're in a pretty big hole (especially when the first place corps is 1st in nearly every caption by a convincing margin).

Precisely. It's no secret that the well-balanced programs will be more successful in the marching activity regardless of circuit, etc. Everything has to be there and in place.

Also happy to hear the panel did their thing and let the chips fall where they may. You can get into a rut and take the easy way out to avoid potential issues, play things safe, so that's a real positive.

Edited by BigW

Instead (since you seem like an insider) why can't you explain the huge design difference?

Maybe I can help here...What BIG DIFFERENCE?

Take a look at the recap. BD is winning nearly every subcaption, but the difference between 1 and 2 is typically .1 or .2 (I think .3 in one subcaption). The reason the spread is so large is that BD is on top in nearly every one. Every corps in 2-5 is showing some weakness in one or more areas. If any one corps was 2nd in nearly every subcaption, it would be closer.

So, pick any one caption, and the difference is not that much. Add them together, and you get a big spread. It's just math (about 2nd or 3rd grade level...even out here in California).

wow and this is the over defensive stance that seems like picking a fight when someone makes a reasonable comment. That poster was showing empathy to what the kids may be feeling, and to the way the post was written it seems that he/she was there. There was no malice or anything negative thrown at BD here.

Good, so he can also tell me tonights lottery numbers since he can also speak for 150 kids he never met.

G

Good, so he can also tell me tonights lottery numbers since he can also speak for 150 kids he never met.

G

I said "may be feeling", not "are feeling", but if he is that good he can give me the TN lottery numbers.

The thing is I can see frustration on both sides. On one side you have the "haters", and they are frustrated because they do not understand why BD is being scored so much higher than the rest of the field. There is also the factor that they are one finals night loss away from winning 4 strait championships while 2 different new corps have been #2 (If Bluecoats hold the spot) And even in the meanest "haters" I dont believe there is an individual malice toward the kids. However there is contempt for the perception that the organization is more about winning than it is about education or building a show the fans will love. They are taking the rules that govern them (which are made by them and the power corps like them) and creating a product that will excel in the context of those sheets. They have one of the most smartest and innovative design teams in DCI which allow them to do this, and in all that I believe the contempt is based in jealousy. Arguments on this side are going to made in anger and frustration both in the lack of their favorite corps having the chance to win, and contempt for the system that allows that to happen. Now understand that this isnt just based on BD......if the Cadets or Cavies were in this same spot....all of the posts would be mostly the same, just insert the other corps name.

On the other hand you have BDs defenders. They are becoming more and more jumpy as time goes on, and they are beginning to forget context, and think any jab at BD whether in jest of just passing is an egregious act of BD hating. The posters who personify this almost always have BD avatars, and I can understand where your frustration might come from. You are connected to BD in some way, and you feel very protective of the corps. The only thing I can say to you guys is.....you guys are going to win....enjoy it, and laugh even harder at the haters when you guys win next year too. However parsing every statement made against BD is just going to make every post a BD troll post.

I may even be what you guys call a hater. I personally dont like the show at all, and earlier in the season I did not understand where the demand was compared to other corps in the top 5. However even though I still dont like the show, I can see how things come together conceptually, and where the demand may not be in what Lance calls the "run and gun" style of marching....the demand comes from the complexity of the movement and staging on the field. This show is so complex both musically and visually, yet it is simple at the same time in the way that all of those components come together in such a methodical way. The design is so smart it sort of feels like they can never lose again. I think other people unconsciously think like that.....and that is where so much frustration (including my own) happens.