After talking to the judges last night...

Unless, like the guards in the other thread, they are wearing a dress. :worthy:

ok i lol'd...there was a time when all girl guards wore skirts; then they started wearing pants, omg! Judges, regardless of gender, always wore pants IIRC :lol:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It never stops....people love to thinly veil how they think towards something as the truth or the gospel as to how everyone else feels....where have you seen them ? You can tell me how all audiences feel about thier performancve, and how members are gonna feel ?? Yeah, Im sure the amount of standing ovations take precedence over calling their families and telling them they went undefeated in an activity they love....sheesh.

G

just cause the "educated all knowing" membership of DCP feel a certain way, desont mean it equates to the real world mentality.

G ........ I know this was said a few pages back .. but I think the person you responded to was posted out of empathy. Of course, they generalized in order to make a point, but that's that persons perspective of what takes place when BD's score is announced (or after 2nd place is announced). I didn't read it as a knock on BD at all.

I'd compare it to the star quarterback on the highschool football team. He's All American and expected to turn pro after 1 year of college kinda thing. The kid wins every game he ever plays but he refuses to do interviews, head blows up .... next thing you know he's hated by his team, the guys don't want to play for him so then he tries to make all the plays himself. Now nobody likes him because he's a showboat. End point, the dude is good and everyone knows it .... but there will always be some people in the crowd who empathize with the poor guy because of their awareness of his mistreatment.

That was my take on it anyway.

Next quote of yours: "Even if/when they win, they will have to carry that feeling with them whenever they look at their shiny DCI rings."

You gave yourself away with one little word, "shiny": in addition to sounding creepy and a little too much like Gollum here, you are pathetically attempting to superimpose some psychological parasite, that you may have encountered. Snakes, lots of snakes here, a veritable serpentarium!

Pedantic note: Gollum never uses the word "shiny", either in the books, or (so far as I know) in the films. The word "shiny" appears only once in Tolkien's The Hobbit and only once in his The Lord of the Rings; only the second instance is in dialogue, and that is by Sam (though he is referring to Gollum's eyes). In the LOTR films, I believe its only appearance (in the theatrical versions, at least) is in an orc's comment early in the third installment. Of course, I take your point about ring obsessions!

But "snakes and adders"! (Sam again.) I like your "serpentarium" -- what a fun neologism. I shall try to work it into a conversation. (Checking the dictionary I find there is already a a medicinal herb called "serpentaria", and a constellation called "Serpentarius".)

Except, after I do that, I make Gold Records! :worthy:

I have a fever and the prescription....is MORE COWBELL!!!

It never stops....people love to thinly veil how they think towards something as the truth or the gospel as to how everyone else feels....where have you seen them ? You can tell me how all audiences feel about thier performancve, and how members are gonna feel ?? Yeah, Im sure the amount of standing ovations take precedence over calling their families and telling them they went undefeated in an activity they love....sheesh.

G

just cause the "educated all knowing" membership of DCP feel a certain way, desont mean it equates to the real world mentality.

wow and this is the over defensive stance that seems like picking a fight when someone makes a reasonable comment. That poster was showing empathy to what the kids may be feeling, and to the way the post was written it seems that he/she was there. There was no malice or anything negative thrown at BD here.

That Atlanta crowd was not overly responsive to ANY corps except Cavaliers. Cavs were irresistibly adorable doing their pushups and bringing the company front (no disrespect intended, I did enjoy their show much more than most other corps minus the tepid ending). Let's face it, company fronts get big crowd response every year, like SCV last year with "Simple Gifts" and that company front note that lasted about 28 beats. Crowds go berserk for that stuff, and I even enjoy it of course. But judges don't score it, in proportion to the loudness.

I watched BD/Atlanta several times today on fannetwork and keep finding extaraordinary examples of field craft and show design, it's such a complex show. Casual audiences are not going to "get" that BD show, but it grows on me more as I watch it repeatedly, especially in person. It will not be a fan favorite (even though they sweep most every caption) in Indy although it is extraordinary in so many ways.

I thought the crowd was just as responsive to Scouts and their hometown Spirit.

Pedantic note: Gollum never uses the word "shiny", either in the books, or (so far as I know) in the films. The word "shiny" appears only once in Tolkien's The Hobbit and only once in his The Lord of the Rings; only the second instance is in dialogue, and that is by Sam (though he is referring to Gollum's eyes). In the LOTR films, I believe its only appearance (in the theatrical versions, at least) is in an orc's comment early in the third installment. Of course, I take your point about ring obsessions!

But "snakes and adders"! (Sam again.) I like your "serpentarium" -- what a fun neologism. I shall try to work it into a conversation. (Checking the dictionary I find there is already a a medicinal herb called "serpentaria", and a constellation called "Serpentarius".)

10 million geek cred for knowing individual word references in Tolkien.

of course there was no suspense at that point. they just announced second place, everyone then should know who got first since they've announced all but one name. why would there be any suspense? it's not like they only announced 3rd and 2nd and you still didn't know who won (like in miss america pageants)

To be fair, I and many others around me were still listening intently after Crocker announced second, because although we knew BD got first, we still didn't know the spread (BTW, if anyone around section 114 heard an "Oh, COME ON!" after the 95.65 was announced, it was me).

To make an attempt at the topic, I watched some judges last night, and my comment is that percussion judges are the hardest-working people in DCI. Other than the members, of course. They have two distinct sections to cover, obviously. Those two sections are often spread far from each other, and covering the battery is often a hazardous task. It takes quick feet and sharp ears to accurately adjudicate DCI percussion sections. Hats off to 'em.

You just won. Somebody hand this man the key to DCP!