The World Series of Drum Corps

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's it folks. The 7 corps have more Facebook friends than DCI. That means everything. I'm dying to know what idiot typed that (originally - not Mr. Ream)

It has got to be might tempting to the DCI Board of Directors, all non-G7 corps directors now, to tell G7 to go pound sand, that those corps that go forward with this are in violation of the DCI constitution and will not be permitted to compete in any DCI shows or championships.

But there is no small risk that if G7 leaves, the whole junior drum corps house of cards comes tumbling down. We can barely stand united any more. Divided, I don't know that there's any chance for G7 or non-G7 alike.

Still, if non-G7 DCI agrees to this, many of them are unlikely to survive financially, anyway. Their better chance may be to let these egotists go.

Edited by Peel Paint

Who are the G7's target audience?

I do not know about band programs in other states or big cities. All I know is that in rural Indiana most if not all band programs funding has been 100% eliminated. It is now pay to play. If the school wants these bands to play at a sporting event, the money must come from the athletic dept. for the music. So if the G7's target audience is the band kids, they are marketing to a shrinking audience base. For example I just received an email from a DM at one of these schools. Last year they had 16 people who graduated, this year, they only had 2 new people join the band. And cost is increasing.

Dean

Still, if non-G7 DCI agrees to this, many of them are unlikely to survive financially, anyway. Their better chance may be to let these egotists go.

IMHO the Mag-7 have inflated budgets they must maintain , many of the other corps are most likely far more stable financially , and the 7 doing their thing will not affect them - but please notice that this guarantees additional revenue for the 7 that no one else will have access to.

What happens to the bingo rich if they lose the revenue , government is trying to grab every penny.

Players in Mag-7 corps are going to be some very overworked young people.

for Fran Haring - yes PR had serious financial concerns and apparently a settlement was reached.

and it is once again a typical Hopkins proposal - ask for the stars and settle for the moon!

for DCW - who are the " leaders " of Drum Corps that are answering questions about the new touring model at Indy?

IMHO the Mag-7 have inflated budgets they must maintain , many of the other corps are most likely far more stable financially , and the 7 doing their thing will not affect them - but please notice that this guarantees additional revenue for the 7 that no one else will have access to.

The problem is that attendance and therefore ticket revenue at the non-G7 shows will most likely decrease. Of course, there will be fewer corps to split the pot, and remaining corps will move up in the ranks, which means some corps could get more revenue than before. But still, if even half a dozen corps go under financially, with the G7 gone as well, the touring model may collapse. There may not be enough corps left to support even regional competition anywhere but the midwest and northeast.

In my best John McEnroe voice - "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!"

The difference between G7 - the orignal proposal and G7 - the sequel:

They have removed (temporarily) all the power grab stuff - double votes, 50% reduction in DCI staff, dump the Open Class, etc., etc.

They have taken that part off the table for now. Note how the sequel is only about 2011. It doesn't say what happens beyond.

On the other hand, in this high stakes poker game, they have just doubled-down on the money grab.

Most of this portion of the "proposal" really only speaks to the schedule and some assumptions around show profitability. My sense is that's only the tip of the iceberg as to why G7 feels the way they do. Right or wrong, I sense that G7 feels that DCI is mis-managing the activity with costs that are too high (given the level of service), execution issues (e.g. San Antonio this year, multiple housing site issues) and lacking the desire to go in the direction that G7 wants to.

The show schedule is interesting, but it shouldn't be at the forefront. I'd like to learn more about how the organization is going to handle the very same issues they've been unhappy about with DCI. What will be their management structure and approach? Judging criteria? Its kind of like a race car team saying where he is going to race, but no mention of what the car is or who is going to drive.

I wonder, can they use "Drum Corps" in their name?

Doesn't DCI own rights to the term?

(Dunno. Really asking)

You can't copyright or trademark common words or phrases that are already in use. The term "drum corps" has been around since the 1920s at least.

HOWEVER, the term "World's Series" (and it's common variant - "World Series") IS a trademarked phrase, so they'd have to be careful about how they use it (you can do your own version of it, but the name has to include language that makes it clear that the event has nothing to do with baseball).

Edited by mobrien